Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

TOP 10 REASONS TO START WALKING TODAY

Honored Social Butterfly

TOP 10 REASONS TO START WALKING TODAY

Why should you start walking? Walking for 30 to 60 minutes each day is one of the best things you can do for your body, mind, and spirit. Here are great reasons to start walking.

The Honolulu Heart Study of 8000 men found that walking just two miles a day cut the risk of death almost in half. The walkers' risk of death was especially lower from cancer. Other studies have had similar findings - if you keep walking, you improve your chances of a longer and healthier life.

More

https://www.verywellfit.com/top-reasons-to-start-walking-3435095?utm_campaign=fitsl&utm_medium=email...

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Trusted Social Butterfly

@nyadrn wrote:

Why should you start walking? Walking for 30 to 60 minutes each day is one of the best things you can do for your body, mind, and spirit. Here are great reasons to start walking.

The Honolulu Heart Study of 8000 men found that walking just two miles a day cut the risk of death almost in half. The walkers' risk of death was especially lower from cancer. Other studies have had similar findings - if you keep walking, you improve your chances of a longer and healthier life.

More

https://www.verywellfit.com/top-reasons-to-start-walking-3435095?utm_campaign=fitsl&utm_medium=email...

No, no, no. #1 is:

Find money lying on the sidewalk.

Proof:

https://community.aarp.org/t5/Politics-Current-Events/AARP-and-Walgreens-Will-Pay-You-0-01-Per-Mile-...

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

Finding money.  I once found a $100 bill lying in the street while I was walking my dog.  No lie!  Some little rich kid lost his lunch money.  Friends said it was a drug deal gone bad.

Contributor

Three miles every day average 5 days per week lowered cholesterol significantly, daily quality of life discussions with partner, relieve political anxiety.  Highly recommended!

Periodic Contributor

I just retired from a physical and mentally challenging job I have enjoyed just sitting for the past month but will begin walking and working with weights. My first checkup after retiring the doctor said to loose weight and get my NEVER HIGH Cholesterol lower. I have to do it so I can enjoy being retired!
Honored Social Butterfly

Took my first outdoor walk today. Beautiful sunny 49 degrees.  It has been a long winter of inside walking. Glad to see springtime ๐ŸŒท

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

A year after hip replacement and I feel great. Keep walking!  Especially if you work at a desk, get up and around through to out the day.  So important.  

Periodic Contributor

Activity is Longevity of external and internal body parts. Walking and swimming two great choices for movement. Legs, knees and feet carry the rest of the body. Walking strengthens bones, veins, arteries and muscles and enhance heart, lung and brain function. I salute you and your husband! You are champions at your age.You put some young people to shame.

God bless you two to continue sojourneying on for many more fruitful years walking together!

My husband and I recently started walking in the evenings because we both wanted to look and feel our best.  We have also modified our diet with healthier food choices.  After three weeks he is 8 pounds down and I am 5.  We plan to keep it up.  I find that we also talk to each other more than we have in a long time.

Periodic Contributor

Alone walking sometimes cannot give enough benefits to our body. To manage the proper heart health Omega supplements are necessary.

Super Contributor

I don't have much choice.  I quit driving 6 months ago.  Now it's all by foot or by bus.  I've battled neuropathy over 2 years in my foot and every step is agony.  I've tried EVERYTHING.  A laser scam (guaranteed) and accomplished nothing but left me $3400 poorer. Lyrica is a choice but weight gain is possible and I tried too hard to take off 40 lbs. 3 years ago.  I'd rather put up with the pain than gain that back again.

Trusted Social Butterfly

@MartinG987436 wrote:

I don't have much choice.  I quit driving 6 months ago.  Now it's all by foot or by bus.  I've battled neuropathy over 2 years in my foot and every step is agony.  I've tried EVERYTHING.  A laser scam (guaranteed) and accomplished nothing but left me $3400 poorer. Lyrica is a choice but weight gain is possible and I tried too hard to take off 40 lbs. 3 years ago.  I'd rather put up with the pain than gain that back again.

Did "EVERYTHING" include opiates?  I take an opioid before walking and it works wonders. 

Also, did you try a topical cream containing lidocaine on your foot?  You can buy 4% lidocaine over the counter and I suspect stronger with a prescription.

Bronze Conversationalist

For the neuropathy pain in the feet, have you tried alpha lipoic acid?  Start with 100 mg twice a day.  If that doesn't work go up to 300 mg twice a day, and finally 600 mg twice a day, if necessary.  Be sure to get a brand that does NOT contain vitamin B6, as too much of that can actually cause symptoms of neuropathy.  Alpha lipoic acid shouldn't have any side effects, but if you're taking lots of medications, it's best to check them against alpha lipoic acid to make sure your meds and the alpha lipoic acid don't interact.  I hope it works for you.  

Super Contributor

Butterfly,

My prescription for lyrica came in the mail today.  Starting low.  Keeping my fingers (and toes) crossed.

Honored Social Butterfly

I still walk just about every day.  It is not a chore, but more like just part of my normal routine.  After sitting all morning at my computer at work, getting up and moving around actually feels great.

There are lots of other people doing it too.  I see many others at the indoor "mall" next to work who are walking their lunches off.  Athletic gear is selling well and trackers are still selling big.

Anyone else?

Bronze Conversationalist

@MartinG987436  Regarding the neuropathy pain, you might talk to your doctor about taking Alpha Lipoic Acid.  Be sure to get the kind that doesn't contain Vitamin B6, as too much of that can cause neuropathy symptoms.  Start with 100 mg alpha lipoic acid twice a day.  If that doesn't work go to 300 mg twice a day, and then 600 twice a day.  Hopefully one of these will lessen the pain.  I'm a doctor of natural medicine (PhD), by the way, but still it's important to talk with your own doctor before taking it.  I take 300 mg twice a day and it does help me and even my podiatrist says it works.  Good luck. I hope it helps.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

I am happy to see others out there who enjoy walking.  I work in an office and sit in that chair  but walking keeps me from getting stiff and I just feel better.  What do you do in the winter months?

Contributor

Thank you for the Kudos, winter has been the best time to walk for me, walking in the winter you still need to protect yourself from the elements, a beenie to keep your head warm, lt gloves, leggings, warm socks and maybe a winter suit. not knowing where you live, in Calif. the winters aren't to bad yet, were still in shorts oh don't forget to bring a bottle of water.

This morning we did a walk with some friends, one was a lady much older than myself and we started off slowly than she took off on a speed walk she's 75 and I had to hold on to her to keep up.I would like to walk with her again she's my personal challenge. I know how you feel, I also worked in an office and commuted 5hrs a day to and from, glad that's done. set your goal at 10000 steps a week and don't stop.Beware the Holiday meals are coming. Peace be with You

Conversationalist

Planet Fitness: Treadmills, stationary bikes and ellipticals.

Bronze Conversationalist

I've been running for 37 years but now I do a combination walk-run with my husband (who's been running for over 40 years).  We live in a rural area with no sidewalks and few homes.  We alternate three different routes.  Before leaving the house my husband stuffs his pockets with plastic grocery bags.  Then the run-walk-recyclables pick-up fun begins.  While on our 'journey' we pick up recyclable cans, and plastic and glass bottles from the sides of the road, often adding a climb up an embankment or into a field to get what some environmentally negligent people have tossed out their car/truck window.  Our usual routes are about 2 miles (more or less).  We get our exercise (running, walking, bending to pick up recyclables, and climbing), and help the environment at the same time.  Oh, and he's in his late 70s and on my next birthday I'll be 80.  We have no plans to stop our exercise.

Honored Social Butterfly

Not much is required.  Put on some shoes and go take a walk.  If you enjoy it, get some good walking shoes and get started.  If you have any concerns check with your doctor.

If you are in poor health or you havn't walked in a long time, you might want to get a check up first.

Contributor

Getting outdoors, 1 hour outside, the exercise is secondary to me, I walk after work every day, I work from a home office, so I need to get out.

The exercise part is secondary because I 'exercise' first thing in the morning in a workout area in the basement. 

Contributor

I have been walking our road every day, except in freezing rain, snow & ice, since I turned 51 in 1987. I'm an early riser, and I walk 2 miles as soon as daylight arrives. When I started my daily walks, I was still in the workforce and had to adjust my walks to my work schedule; but after I retired in 1996 at age 60 my early morning walks developed into my prayer/meditation time at the crack of dawn. What a blessing! I live on a hill and am not able to walk up and down it like I did when I was younger. I drive to the bottom of the hill and walk on relatively level ground. I wear a Medical Guardian and carry my cellphone which I use only for an emergencies - not casual conversation. Now I am 82 years old and I've slowed down somewhat; but still have some spring in my step and I look forward to walking every morning. It usually takes me 45 minutes to complete the 2 miles. When the weather is severe I bundle up and walk around and around on my  3 sided porch for at least 30 minutes. Although I have had some severe health problems in the past, I am thankful that I take no medications except an 81mg aspirin daily and vitamins/minerals. My walks truly saved my sanity when my son died suddenly in 1999 and again when my husband died in 2016.

Honored Social Butterfly

Although I don't do much recreational walking (even though I used to both walking and jog when I was much younger), I think I will try to add that to my weekly routine; maybe two or three days a week to start.  

Let me not kid myself, I'll be doing good to start with one or two days a week.  But I do plan on making walking a part of my health plan.  I know I used to feel so much better after a good walk or run.  And I truly could use a "better feeling" right about now.

Contributor

You might want to put on some headphones and listen to good music,

my preference is Roy Orberson from the Black and White Ball. it takes your mind off the pain haha, I just retired and started walking last year, only 63 and don't mind getting old but I want to be healthly getting older, first I was walking around the block and how I'm doing around 5-6 miles a day 6 days a week, not only is it good for want your body needs But I also lost 27lbs. blood presure went way down also once you start droping your weight don't forget to start a stomich exercise flatten out the loose fat you might be able to see your toes again.

once you get going find a walking club, every weekend they travel to deferernt cities and explore. 

if you decide to walk in the evening get some reflecting straps around your ankles so people and cars can see you. have fun and say hello to your neighbor as your passing by.

Conversationalist

Agree with all the benefits of walking. I tried to lose about 20 pounds after I retired but could drop only about 7-8 due to being very sedentary. Walking helped me drop about 10 more. I am 67 years old but still manage to do about 45-60 minutes of walking 4 times per week. In Las Vegas, it's usually either very hot or very cold so I joined a gym which offers a LOT of treadmills; a 10 minute ride each way is worth it if the weather will not cooperate. 

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP