Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: TOP 10 REASONS TO START WALKING TODAY

Message 11 of 26

A year after hip replacement and I feel great. Keep walking!  Especially if you work at a desk, get up and around through to out the day.  So important.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 26

Three miles every day average 5 days per week lowered cholesterol significantly, daily quality of life discussions with partner, relieve political anxiety.  Highly recommended!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 26

My husband and I recently started walking in the evenings because we both wanted to look and feel our best.  We have also modified our diet with healthier food choices.  After three weeks he is 8 pounds down and I am 5.  We plan to keep it up.  I find that we also talk to each other more than we have in a long time.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 26

Getting outdoors, 1 hour outside, the exercise is secondary to me, I walk after work every day, I work from a home office, so I need to get out.

The exercise part is secondary because I 'exercise' first thing in the morning in a workout area in the basement. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 26

Thank you for the Kudos, winter has been the best time to walk for me, walking in the winter you still need to protect yourself from the elements, a beenie to keep your head warm, lt gloves, leggings, warm socks and maybe a winter suit. not knowing where you live, in Calif. the winters aren't to bad yet, were still in shorts oh don't forget to bring a bottle of water.

This morning we did a walk with some friends, one was a lady much older than myself and we started off slowly than she took off on a speed walk she's 75 and I had to hold on to her to keep up.I would like to walk with her again she's my personal challenge. I know how you feel, I also worked in an office and commuted 5hrs a day to and from, glad that's done. set your goal at 10000 steps a week and don't stop.Beware the Holiday meals are coming. Peace be with You

Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 26

Planet Fitness: Treadmills, stationary bikes and ellipticals.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 26

I am happy to see others out there who enjoy walking.  I work in an office and sit in that chair  but walking keeps me from getting stiff and I just feel better.  What do you do in the winter months?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 26

@MartinG987436  Regarding the neuropathy pain, you might talk to your doctor about taking Alpha Lipoic Acid.  Be sure to get the kind that doesn't contain Vitamin B6, as too much of that can cause neuropathy symptoms.  Start with 100 mg alpha lipoic acid twice a day.  If that doesn't work go to 300 mg twice a day, and then 600 twice a day.  Hopefully one of these will lessen the pain.  I'm a doctor of natural medicine (PhD), by the way, but still it's important to talk with your own doctor before taking it.  I take 300 mg twice a day and it does help me and even my podiatrist says it works.  Good luck. I hope it helps.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 26

I don't have much choice.  I quit driving 6 months ago.  Now it's all by foot or by bus.  I've battled neuropathy over 2 years in my foot and every step is agony.  I've tried EVERYTHING.  A laser scam (guaranteed) and accomplished nothing but left me $3400 poorer. Lyrica is a choice but weight gain is possible and I tried too hard to take off 40 lbs. 3 years ago.  I'd rather put up with the pain than gain that back again.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 26

Agree with all the benefits of walking. I tried to lose about 20 pounds after I retired but could drop only about 7-8 due to being very sedentary. Walking helped me drop about 10 more. I am 67 years old but still manage to do about 45-60 minutes of walking 4 times per week. In Las Vegas, it's usually either very hot or very cold so I joined a gym which offers a LOT of treadmills; a 10 minute ride each way is worth it if the weather will not cooperate. 

Kudos
Views