Find answers to your Social Security questions in the AARP Social Security resource center.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Suggestion for Anyone Struggling to Get in 10,000 Steps

Message 1 of 2

Here's an article about the benefits (besides reaching your daily goal of 10,000 steps! Smiley Happy) of the mini-trampoline workout: 

Full article: https://healthyliving.azcentral.com/mini-trampoline-workouts-tone-muscles-1943.html

Snippets
Improving Muscle Tone

When you exercise with a mini trampoline, a number of muscle groups are worked at the same time. The abdominals and obliques tighten to prevent overextension of the spine; the muscles of the shoulders, arms and upper back adjust your posture to keep you from losing your balance; and your legs and feet work together to make you jump. Even if you aren't jumping on the trampoline, staying balanced while performing mini trampoline exercises requires muscle groups from all over the body. This activity burns calories and strengthens muscle fibers, increasing the amount of lean muscle you have and providing better overall muscle tone.

Using a Mini Trampoline

Mini trampolines can be used in several ways. Depending on your exercise routine and the height and size of the trampoline itself, you can use one for bouncing, seated exercises, jogging or running exercises, Pilates routines and even as a low-impact step for step aerobics and similar exercise programs. A mini trampoline can be used for specific exercises that are part of a larger fitness routine, or you can create full trampoline-specific routines that combine a number of trampoline exercises.

And another video workout for your consideration: 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Suggestion for Anyone Struggling to Get in 10,000 Daily Steps

Message 2 of 2

Get a mini-trampoline. I just got in a rousing 35 minutes on mine in which I took 5,000 steps and burned 725 calories.

Shazam! Smiley Happy

Like anything, mini-trampoline prices are all over the board. A quick search showed Amazon has them from $32 to $75. I got mine at Walmart last year for under 30 bucks. DH, me and a friend have each been using it for at least 30 minutes 2-3 times a week and it is still holding up well.

Need more info? Check out this review of popular brands: http://bestreviews.com/best-mini-trampolines

Here's a workout to consider:

Disclaimer: I've been at this for a year. If you are just getting into an exercise program, you'll probably want to start with a far slower, shorter workout. Check with your doctor.

Also, I'm a fit 58 y-o competitive cyclist. My workout schedule looks like this:

Saturday 35 mins on the mini-trampoline, plus 5 mile walk and floor exercises (strength training).

Sunday 8 or so miles of snowshoeing at 10,000 ft in deep snow (this workout is like a 16 mi walk).

Monday 50-60 miles on the bike trail.

Tuesday rest (I'll probably still get in over 10,000 steps though).

Wednesday 45 mins on mini-trampoline.

Thursday 40-60 miles on the bike trail. 

Friday 45 mins on mini-trampoline plus 5 mile walk and floor exercises (strength training).

Saturday 4-5 mile walk.

Sunday rest. (Yeah, I'll probably still get in 10,000 steps. Farm life. Smiley Happy)

Monday 50-60 mile bike ride.

All this to show you that I've built up to the ability to get in 5,000 mini-trampoline steps in half an hour.  But here's the thing: so can you! Smiley Happy It starts with the desire, then that first step, and if you keep yourself exercising and eating right, better health. Yay! Smiley Happy

Be well.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season