Attend AARP's Job Search in the Digital Age Online Workshop, Thursday at 7 p.m. ET. Register Now

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Study: Skipping Breakfast Feeds Heart Disease

Message 1 of 12 (162 Views)

@NerdyMom  If I don't put fat and protein atop oatmeal (we cook the oats with water, a little salsa and spices, then top it with half an avo and one poached egg) then I'm looking for lunch around 10 AM. Smiley Happy  Odd, as you note, because it is a fiber rich food and fiber is supposed to make you feel full longer. Since I've been prepping the oats this way we eat a smaller portion of oats and it takes us both to lunch (which to DH is often 1PM).

Thanks for the well-wishing.Smiley Happy To say we are focused right now is to say the least. Smiley Happy

An aside: once I amped up my exercising to what sounds like a ridiculous level, I was able to speed up my metabolism. It's easier for me now to lose weight than to gain it. Which astounds. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Super Social Butterfly

Message 2 of 12 (164 Views)

Epster wrote:

NerdyMom wrote:

The kefir is new. The smaller breakfasts....a few years? I have to watch every single calorie I eat, and it seemed the best meal to reduce for me.   

I still have an office  job, so I'm more sedentary than I'd like.  I can eat more on weekends.

@NerdyMom Have the smaller breakfasts helped you lose weight (if that was your goal)?

Over this summer, because we are tightly controlling DH's carbs --5 of 8 of his close family members have or died from diabetes--, we've reduced our breakfasts from 2 slices of whole wheat avocado toast, 2 eggs and a banana to one slice of whole wheat avocado toast, 1 egg and either a half banana (if it's a large one) or one small banana. His weight has been stable for two months, but I'm continuing to slowly lose weight. 

I'm kind of a morning eater, though, and pretty frequently have lunch by 11. Then I'm set. I rarely get hungry before 6 PM.

So for us the reduced size breakfast hasn't lead to snacking or overeating later. I assume you are having the same experience? 

Interesting about the "morning eater." I'm not. I'm an after dinner snacker if I'm not careful.  Maybe that's why it's easier to go small on breakfast.

I used to eat grape nuts cereal or oatmeal with sliced bananas.  A little honey on the oatmeal.  Way too many calories for me and still I'd be starving by 11. Which makes no sense with oatmeal for sure.  

While I don't have diabetes, I do feel sensitive to blood sugar crashes. Maybe that's what was happening.  Kefir is slightly lower in natural sugars. Lower than milk because it turns the lactose into lactic acid.  So perhaps it's eating low carbs that helps me not need a snack. I make it to noon just fine, before eating lunch.

Not trying to lose so much as to not gain weight. It's very easy for me to gain. Which is why I've been a calorie counter for 20+ years.  I've lost a little with all the additional exercise I've been doing recently.  But what I notice there is mostly much stronger solid muscle.

good luck to your husband on avoiding diabetes. I had a boss once who kept his under control with running and diet.  My husband has it and he's sedentary. Smiley Sad   So meds for him, unfortunately.

Message 3 of 12 (176 Views)

NerdyMom wrote:

The kefir is new. The smaller breakfasts....a few years? I have to watch every single calorie I eat, and it seemed the best meal to reduce for me.   

I still have an office  job, so I'm more sedentary than I'd like.  I can eat more on weekends.

@NerdyMom Have the smaller breakfasts helped you lose weight (if that was your goal)?

Over this summer, because we are tightly controlling DH's carbs --5 of 8 of his close family members have or died from diabetes--, we've reduced our breakfasts from 2 slices of whole wheat avocado toast, 2 eggs and a banana to one slice of whole wheat avocado toast, 1 egg and either a half banana (if it's a large one) or one small banana. His weight has been stable for two months, but I'm continuing to slowly lose weight. 

I'm kind of a morning eater, though, and pretty frequently have lunch by 11. Then I'm set. I rarely get hungry before 6 PM.

So for us the reduced size breakfast hasn't lead to snacking or overeating later. I assume you are having the same experience? 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Super Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 12 (203 Views)

Message 5 of 12 (207 Views)

@NerdyMom The exception to the rule, eh? Goes to show ya that there really is no one size fits all health plan. Smiley Happy

How long have you been doing kefir and fruit (et cetera)? Is this a new thing? Have you seen the results you were after?

Family health history sure can be scary! I think you are wise to take yours into account. Every single person (alive and dead) in my direct family has or had lifestyle diseases.  Yikes.

Super Social Butterfly

Message 6 of 12 (215 Views)

I've really cut down on breakfast.  I feel I was eating too much.  Too many calories in the beginning of the day.  

So now I have a glass of plain kefir and some fruit.  Or a hard boiled egg and some fruit.  

Weekends are different. In the height of summer heat, I'd go hiking early in the morning, so I'd eat a real breakfast.  Two egg omelet with onions, spinach, peppers, maybe some feta or goat cheese. The kefir, and a big cup of coffee. Then take a clif bar with me. 

That article is interesting @Epster. But I don't think I have any of the co-occurring bad habits. But my family dies of heart disease, so it's a little scary. 

Silver Conversationalist

Message 7 of 12 (291 Views)

I eat a medium-to-large hot breakfast. I eat a medium sized, often cold, lunch. I eat a medium sized home cooked dinner. I don't snack .

I believe in a hearty breakfast

Message 8 of 12 (322 Views)

We're like that too, @retiredtraveler. When we were hiking, we'd have a larger than normal breakfast. My backpack's waist belt might have been snug on the way up a mountain, but it was always loose on the way down. Smiley Happy

I sometimes skip lunch. I'll get busy outside and only realize my oversight when ye olde stomach walls start gnawing on one another. By then it's only 45 to 90 minutes until dinner, so I might grab an apple and some water and hold on. 

But skip breakfast? Never. I generally wake up hungry. Smiley Happy (Give me all the food!)

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 12 (345 Views)

Always have breakfast. When traveling, which usually means we're going to do a day of walking/hiking/biking, we have particularly large breakfasts.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 10 of 12 (411 Views)

Are you a breakfast devotee or do you skip breakfast?  What do you think of the study's findings?