Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Stroke

Message 1 of 15
Regarding : Tiredness after a stroke.
I had a family member start taking Natural Vitamin B3(Niacin) and combined with Vitamin C in high doses ( 2,000-3,000mg per day) and I'm happy to say he's doing extremely well, and may not need his meds soon. He said that Dr. Matthias Rath ( German Doctor) has an institute In Silicone Valley that figured this out, and he gets his "Healthy Heart energy formula"
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 15

Three years ago, my Father fell in the back yard of my parents home. In the process of attempting to rescue him, my mother also fell, breaking a vertebrae ending up in the hospital and then into Nursing home care. Dad followed soon after and their lives changed forever after that simple but significant fall. Within the year following that fall, 99% of their earthly possessions were gone.

Three weeks ago, my 94 year old father had a stroke. The Docs said it was a blockage stroke. We believe it was in some way most likely associated with a fall he had the week before that bruised his arm and face. 

As a result of the stroke, Dad most likely will not walk again, even using his roller/walker as before. His recognition ability has dropped markedly as has his attitude from time to time. He is on an expedited path toward his final day with us.

We have been lucky to have Dad for as long as we have. He had a good life and has been blessed with a loving Wife and a family that adores him. The brothers and I are all handeling this in our own ways. Some with a great deal of emotion and some with a mix of emotion and logic. We know his time is near. We hope that when it comes - that it comes peacefully and quickly. 

One of the biggest take aways for me has been the realization of how very important it is to remain as strong physically and mentally as possible for as long as possible. To do all one can to avoid falls for as long as possible. And to live life to it's fullest every single day. 

This stroke has brought us all to a renewed point of realization in our lives. None of us live forever. We must all savor the time we have both for those we love and for ourselves. 

Tom from Texas

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 15

I had a mild stroke in October 1999 at the age of 49. I was under a lot of pressure at work and my husband and I were worried about and dealing with a medical issue concerning our 15 year old. We made it through the weekend and on Sunday night I was brushing my hair and could not hold onto the brush. I thought I was just tired. I went to work Monday morning but I was dizzy and had spots in front of my eyes and weakness in my arm. When I got to work I had the same symptoms. I drove myself (dumb) to the ER and went through a battery of tests including MRI, EKG, blood work, etc. The upshot was the MRI showed "showering embolisms" and very high blood pressure. The ER released me and said take baby aspirin. The next day I experienced the same symptoms and went to see my internist. Again, a battery of tests over a 2 month period and I was put on blood pressure medication. The tests were all negative and of course my pressure was fine due to the medication. I actually stopped taking the BP meds after 5 months. In May 2000 I had a follow up MRI that was completely clear. No evidence of the mini strokes. I also told my doctor that I had stopped taking the medication in March and she told me my BP was back to pre-stroke numbers. The only residuals from this are I am now very disorganized (I used to be annoying organized) and I sometimes struggle for the right word. I apologize for the length of this but one last thing. After my stroke I went back to work and told my boss what happened. I told him the pressure I was under at work, which included training new adjusters as well as handling my own case load, was too much. I asked to be relieved from training and he agreed. I adopted an attitude that was "This is a job, not my life". I also told new adjusters to keep that thought in mind. And I started practicing deep breathing which really helped keep me from stressing at work. I am now happily retired.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 15

My Husbsnd  had a stroke in March of 2015. Very sudden .Lots of Physical  Therapy. Recover then a year later had a heart problem. I became nurse care  giver, driver. He pass as way Last  year.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 15

I honestly don't know how you manage.  But you're doing the work of the angels.  Everyone you care for is lucky to have you.  I would suggest a caregivers support group that meets online or better yet if you can get someone to fill in for you for a couple of hours.  You're going to burn out.  Take care of yourself too.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 15

I had a very mild stroke in 2008.  I was under a lot of stress at the time and my dad was in hospice care.  I was sitting with him and I felt something pop and was dazed for a minute.  I didn’t think anything of it at the time.  As time went on my face became numb on one side so I went to the doctor who ordered an MRI.  When she said I’d had a stroke I found it hard to believe.  Thank goodness it was very mild or I could have been worse.  The numbness is still there a slight bit around my mouth but that is all the residual effects I have.  I was very lucky.  It was a very stressful time in my life losing my beloved father and having to work and take care of my family at the same time.  I also became my mother’s support after Dad passed.  Also when I get stressed the numbness feels worse.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 15

I had a stroke in 2014 at 67, while we were visiting my aunt. Woke up & felt fine until I tried to speak. I couldn’t seem to form any words nor formulate thoughts in response to a simple question. After a few efforts, I was able to go tell my husband “Something’s wrong”. He thought it was my elderly aunt & I was able to say “me”.  I’ve always had low blood pressure so no worries there. The doctors decided my stroke was brought on by a blood clot due to A-fib, which was a huge surprise (say what?  What’s A-fib?).  They couldn’t give me tPA for the stroke as I woke up with my symptoms so there was no way to know how much time had elapsed since the onset of my stroke. 

I count myself EXTREMELY fortunate to have fully recovered!!  I never experienced any physical symptoms but I don’t seem to be able to multi-task quite as well as I did before & I occasionally struggle to find a word I’m looking for.  If you suspect a stroke, call 911 ASAP for an ambulance.  They can alert the hospital, monitor your situation & begin tPA in the ambulance.  Don’t make our goofy mistake & drive across town to the ER. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 15

I had a stroke Dec, 2008 the cause of the stroke was that i had high blood pressure sky high i,m permantly disable i walk with a walker my left side is weak also due to the stroke i was in a coma for 1 month & a half  i went for therapy for around 7 months thank god i am still a live it was a struggle and challenge for me and my family, this i will never forget,but i'm doing better by going to the doctor and therapy that's what important i'm also back to driving my car again that's what i was really worry my independence and ability to do what i always want i also apply for my disability permit (you never know when you go on with your bussiness and this could happen to anyone go to the doctor get your self check out even if you do exercise everyday or eat the right foods cause you will never know God Bless To All.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 15

I too had a husband who had a stroke and called 911, ambulance, hospital, etc. and basically they did nothing.  The clot was between right and left lobe.  it didn't leave him paralized but he lost long term memory.  then he repeatedly had strokes, and each one worse .  Eventaully he lost ability to walk and the final stroke he could not swallow.  He did a living will and stipulated no artificial mean of support and no IV's.  He died, but it took 5 years from the first stroke.  I had to quit work to be the caretaker and let me tell you it was rough.  I finally had a homecare agency to come in 2 times per week for health care and showers, and someone to watch him so I could do shopping for food.  It also took a big toil on me and after he died, I had all kinds of health problems myself for the 5 years of neglect to myself. 

My advise to you, is resource all the help you can receive.  AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.  You are in my prayers.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 15

My husband had a massive stroke in Nov. 2017. I was a CNA for 35 yrs. and am now disabled. I knew the symptoms and acted quickly. I was told IF he survived it would be a miracle. That was our first miracle, they shipped him to a hospital i could not drive to, We have 4 sons and 1 took me every 3 days. I fought like a dog with a favorite bone to get him medicaid. Meantime, because he had no insurance he got no care. no baths, he was a 1:1 feed, he lost 77 pounds in 3 months. He survived by chewing the lids off the pudding and licking the contents. I had to spend the night to find out what was going on. He did not get the clot buster, even though I had him at the hospital within 15 minutes of the stroke. They shipped him home without any discharge papers or instructions. Him surviving this hospital was the 2nd miracle. 3 months after coming home he had a grand mal seizure, again they didn't believe me but took him to the hospital. He was discharged 3 days later to the rehabiliation ward for 2 weeks. He had some feeling in his limbs and some movement, hence another miracle. We have been together for 30 yrs.and that hospital stay was the longest we had ever been apart. I also look after my disabled sister and her autistic son. Needless to say I stay exhausted and frustrated and stressed. All with a smile. One of our sons, the only one with a child thinks his dad is now retarded and doesn't even bother to text and ask about him. Were it not for our other 3 sons, I could not keep doing all I now must do. The in home therapists have been wonderful, and after contacting my local congressman for help He finally has medicaid. Never in my wildest nightmares did i think that i might have to care for my hubby physically for the rest of our days. I mourn the loss of all the things we did together, and deal with the reality that is, one day at a time. I'm lonely, afraid and unsure of what lies ahead. I'm not a social person, so group anything is out. I'm posting here to reach out to others that are caring for someone with a stroke.

Kudos
Views