Take a look at aging around the world in 'A New Age,' a special report by AARP and Magnum Photos.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Stroke

Message 11 of 15

I had my 1st TMI 25 years ago.  I didn't know what was happening so I just got through it & got online to check out the symptoms.  

Last Nov.  I had another.  My daughter & 11 yr old grandson were saying goodby & I called him a dick.  I didn't know why she was looking at me that way.  I knew something was wrong, but what?  I turned away & realized I had meant to say dickens.  I was so afraid I'd never see them again after what I'd said.  

It wasn't until the next day that I realized what had happened.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 15

I had a stroke at 51 due to hypertension. It was not being treated because I was arrogant and didn’t go to regularly medical appointments. I was in a coma for three months and a rehabilitate nursing home for four years! I spent three and half of those years in a wheelchair then on the walker. I eventually got released to my family’s care. Now I live in a studio by myself and take classes twice a week for exercise and balance! My point in posting my experience is anything is possible! I’ve been blessed and I had very good care quickly. I hope the same for anyone else who suffers from a stroke. My best advise please be proactive! Get regular check ups and follow the advice given! 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 15

@d2w2r51  Thank you for sharing your story!!  And yes being informed is so valuable.  Also, so happy to hear she is home and recovering nicely!

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 15

Both my mom and dad had stroke. In case with my mom, I was pretty young and unexperienced and I didn't know exactly what stroke was and of course I didn't know how to react. In the clinic the doctor said that there is a small chance that my mom would survive and recover. Thanks God she did!
I've read a lot about stroke after that experience. And after 15 years, when my dad had stroke, I recognized it by sipthtomes and acted immediately. I agree that being informed enough can save someone's life

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Stroke

Message 15 of 15

I'm beginning by saying"THANK YOU AARP" ! Out of all those endless Emails I get from AARP for some reason I read the ones on strokes.

On the morning of July 15 my better half had a stroke.I found her unable to speak and trying to hold on to a dresser to keep from falling. I got her on the bed and called 911,"I need help now,she's having a stroke"! The EMT's showed up in a few minutes and took her to Union hospital. They gave her clot buster and sent her by helicopter to Cleveland Clinic. The doctors there did their thing and I'm happy to say she's home after a three day stay. She's doing really great with no problems except for being tried. The doctors said quick actions by everyone played a big part in her recovery being short and sweet.

In closing,if you see any sign of a stroke act fast,it will be the act that saves your loved one. I know,I've lived it to see my girl recover and be healthy still. Read the articles from AARP,it could save a loved one.

Kudos
Views
Replies