Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Standing Up To MS

Message 11 of 21 (439 Views)

Comparison is death. Inspiration is possibility. Possibility is life.

We can all improve our health outlook. We can all change our lives. 

Huzzbah to inspiring senior athletes showing us what is possible!

dream-and-give-yourself-permission-to-envision-a-you-that-you-choose-to-be-joy-quote-3.jpg

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 21 (438 Views)

There is little doubt that inspirational stories do provide many "feel-good" moments for the audiences who read them. Few of us would question the dedication of those who can and do push through their disabilities and physical or mental challenges to achieve goals that they and others may have formerly thought were impossible. The human spirit is capable of overcoming some of the most daunting circumstances and life, for many, is made up of a series of small miracles.

It's important to realize, however, that those who are "spotlighted" for their courage and dedication to a new goal are not equally disabled. In the case of Multiple Sclerosis, there are several different types of the disease. Other factors influencing one's abilities include the length of time the disease has been present, the number of sclerotic lesions and their placement within the nervous system and the progression of the disease including the length of remissions and the timing of relapses.

http://multiple-sclerosis.emedtv.com/multiple-sclerosis/types-of-multiple-sclerosis.html

All of this is to say that one cannot use the same "yardstick" to take the measure of how one might be able to push himself/herself to achieve "the impossible." Some will be able to compete and others will only be able to work to move beyond their own personal best.

It's great to take inspiration from someone and apply it to one's own older, able-bodied reality but to suggest that it is the right prescription for everyone is unrealistic at best. It might also be construed as disrespectful of the disabled whose limited abilities control their lives. Why? It's because of the implicit message in the profile: "If the person in this article can compete in athletics with his disabilities, I should be able to do it as well." In many ways, it "objectifies" the disabled athlete instead of creating the fuller subjective picture and profile of a differently-abled athlete.

The reality is that most will never reach that level of competitive athletics. It's not a fair comparison nor should it be a comparison at all.

To understand the differences in thinking, it might be worthwhile to explore some of the blogs on disablities. There's a lot there for able-bodied individuals to learn about and ample opportunities to see things "from the other side of the fence."

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Message 13 of 21 (431 Views)

@HammH Right. We do not have to succumb. We do not have to see aging as defeat. We can improve our lives through physical activity. From Centenarian to 50-something: we can make a huge impact on our personal experience through rigorous physical training.

I read these senior athlete profile stories where they've practically come back from the grave to train and then go on to participate in the games, weigh that against my own experience in these past 2 years and cannot help but realize that while a 30 minute a day walk will help keep us breathing, it takes more than that to actually keep us healthy. 

There was a story I posted some months ago about why we should all workout like senior athletes. The moral being that 30 minutes a day is a good starting place, but to achieve and maintain mobility, mental acuity and physical health, we need to work harder than that. This, as you know, is completely in line with what I have experienced since I started getting back into top shape. Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Silver Conversationalist

Message 14 of 21 (461 Views)

Epster wrote:

I don't know about you, but stories like this make me want to stretch my every limit to see what is possible!

How fit can I be? How fast can I race? How far can I go? Smiley Happy

Its inspiring that this woman chose to fight through the disease to live her life on her terms. Gotta love it. 300 medals and ribbons *after* the MS diagnosis. Thanks for sharing her story. 

[ Edited ]
Message 15 of 21 (558 Views)

@ASTRAEA This story is not about me. It is about a senior athlete I find inspiring. Join me in celebrating her resolve to improve her health.

Actually it is about two amazing senior athletes. I salute them both. Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 21 (578 Views)

@Epster - That didn't answer my question about whether you've experienced MS, through a relative or close friend who had it. It's great to read inspirational stories, and another to have known average people who've had it, and what they went thru.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

[ Edited ]
Message 17 of 21 (581 Views)

@ASTRAEA  This inspiring story is about overcoming obstacles in order to live life more fully. Read what Eleanor has to say about her experiences with MS and becoming a Senior Athlete: 

Q When did the disease overtake you? What was life like?

A I was diagnosed just over 30 years ago. After I received my degree, the First American Bank in Johnson City offered me a job as a trust officer. I wasn’t interested in leaving North Carolina, but they asked me to just come look it over and meet with them. I agreed and made the move. But I was not able to work very long before the MS hit me full blast. I was dropping things and falling constantly. That’s when I was tested and got the diagnosis.

I started out using a cane, and then two canes, and then a walker. I was having so many head injuries that the doctor told me I was going to have a very serious injury and to not to use a cane anymore. I was to either use a walker or a wheelchair. I couldn't drive a car without hand controls because I couldn't lift my feet to use the pedals.

So I was not totally wheelchair bound. I could use a walker for short distances and a wheelchair or motorized chair for longer distances. I still have that motorized chair sitting in my apartment and I have medals hanging over it. [Laugh] It reminds me every time I come in the door how blessed I have been.

There were weeks at a time I couldn’t get out of my apartment, and I like to stay busy. I had always wanted to paint so I did a few landscapes. I wanted to do portraits of my grandchildren so I taught myself how to paint them. I also did portraits of some of the people who have been so good to me over the years. I also used to pass time by making furniture, both full size and miniature.

Now, since I’ve been able to get out and do all of these other things I haven’t had time to paint and do crafts!

Message 18 of 21 (569 Views)

Has anyone close to you had MS, so you have close experience with what it can do to person?

Registered on Online Community since 2007!

[ Edited ]
Message 19 of 21 (592 Views)

I don't know about you, but stories like this make me want to stretch my every limit to see what is possible!

How fit can I be? How fast can I race? How far can I go? Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 21 (482 Views)

Hats off to both Eleanor and Harriet for setting inspiring examples of what is possible!

im-possible.png

bigstock-More-Is-Possible-sign-with-clo-75610744.jpg