Free Caregiving Webinar: Managing Your Loved One’s Finances - Tuesday at 7p.m. ET  Register Now

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Standing Up To MS

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 21 (186 Views)

@HammH We do live in a sea of accomplished senior athletes. Maybe that's skewed our expectations of what's possible. Smiley Happy Larry --the first one, haha-- blows me away. We'll see a NSG profile on him one day. 

Fitness is a mindset. But it is also contagious! Some study a number of years back talked about how you will weigh what your friends and family do. Or actually I think they said that if your family and friends are overweight, you will eventually become overweight. So the idea was to go find fit friends, I guess. Smiley Happy

Good job on the quote. Woo hoo! Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

Message 2 of 21 (193 Views)

Epster wrote:

@HammH Right. We do not have to succumb. We do not have to see aging as defeat. We can improve our lives through physical activity. From Centenarian to 50-something: we can make a huge impact on our personal experience through rigorous physical training.

I read these senior athlete profile stories where they've practically come back from the grave to train and then go on to participate in the games, weigh that against my own experience in these past 2 years and cannot help but realize that while a 30 minute a day walk will help keep us breathing, it takes more than that to actually keep us healthy. 

There was a story I posted some months ago about why we should all workout like senior athletes. The moral being that 30 minutes a day is a good starting place, but to achieve and maintain mobility, mental acuity and physical health, we need to work harder than that. This, as you know, is completely in line with what I have experienced since I started getting back into top shape. Smiley Happy

Hey, I did my first quote. lol

Think of Larry and the other Larry (lol). Tom. Roger. Greg. These guys are living proof that going hard pays big dividends for seniors. And what's the guy who is 90 that rides the trike? Him too. You live in a state filled with accomplished senior athletes so you witness this truth every day

Keep preaching, sister. Keep preaching.

Message 3 of 21 (241 Views)

@Prosecco6247  You just gave me the giggles. Smiley Happy Thanks for that.

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 4 of 21 (249 Views)

You have just clearly demonstrated the disconnect...I am being myself.  I am not your enemy and I do not seek out your posts just to disagree with you.  You choose to engage with me.

I read here frequently but only post here on a regularly irregular basis...not daily and not to guard my original posts.  This is a "discussion forum," a place to read and share information for the erudition and benefit of others who frequent the forum.  We don't write pseudo-articles...we welcome comment just as any magazine or opinion column worth it's salt would recognize valid comments and critiques in "letters to the editor."

Your usually defensive posture is therefore unnecessary...comments and posts are part of the freight we accept when we post.  Sometimes they are flattering and sometimes they are not.  Sometimes, a person with education, expertise and experience will want to offer an opposing view.  It's all a part of the landscape.

Somehow, you appear to want to affix your own stamp of authenticity to everything you write and deflect and discount well-meaning, albeit differing viewpoints as being invalid.

I do not pull my opinions out of my "nether-regions," as one beloved poster is so fond of saying.  Is it so out of the realm of possibility that I may have a cache of "hard-won" knowledge via my education, profession, experience and personal knowledge that I use to inform my responses to you or anyone else? 

You must get over that notion.  There are plenty of experts on these pages and they are experts in many areas.  You might, if you accepted and researched opposing viewpoints or critiques, find yourself espousing new ideas rather than the shopworn arguments and platitudes you frequently use to defend a narrow point of view.

The posters and platitudes are cute but trite.  I'm sure your experience as a writer has taught you what that means and nothing clips the wings of a soaring idea in written form more than offering trite prose to your readers.

Playing the "victim" card by calling me out as if I have committed some unforgiveable offense may play well with some but you are reaching for the "low hanging fruit" or looking for the easy target.  That is beneath the writer who espouses accuracy and fairness.  An occasional correction or inclusion of a new idea is always in order and gratefully accepted by any writer who values truth.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

[ Edited ]
Message 5 of 21 (282 Views)

Edit: As has been suggested, I came back to correct a poorly rendered thought.

Whoops, one more thought before I go: This* is me taking that 'be the change' thing literally. I am being what I want to see more of here. Welcoming. Resilient. Upbeat. Rah! To! That! Smiley Happy

Go be you. There's plenty of space here, enough for 1000s of every stripe, color, creed and interest. Double Rah! Smiley Happy

*'This' was not the best choice of words, I concede. Here's what I meant by 'this': posting a lot in my areas of interest. Doing so with a positive vibe, being welcoming, upbeat, helpful when possible. Resilient always.

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 21 (293 Views)

Referencing objectification: We shall have to agree to disagree, I think. You see things your way, I see things mine.

I am sorry you see my comments as insensitive. That does not make them so, however. We have a well documented history of miscommunication. There is no comparison going on here. None. There is celebration of an indivdual's abilities.

Of course other people deserve time to express themselves. I have nothing to do with trying to shut people up. I do not shun. I do not ridicule, nor do I shame. I do not harass. Instead I tell the truth as I know it, backing my thoughts up with personal experience. I encourage and welcome others to do the same. Would that such were universally true, sadly it is not. The good news? These destructive behaviors (harassing, bullying and the like) have only the affect of fueling passion in one such as me. So huzzbah to the hardheaded strivers of this world. May they show up here in droves and post themselves silly. Smiley Happy

I take my leave of this conversation, as I see little good to be gained here.

May your day be filled with peace.

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 7 of 21 (308 Views)

A.)  If you watched the TED video prior to making your insensitive posts, obviously it had no effect on you.

B.)  Save your "rah-rah" arguments for your acolytes.

C.)  My only interest is in showing both sides of the story. 

D.)  The mountain you refer to speaks only to your own interests and your inability to understand that others deserve equal time to speak to theirs.

E.)  You said it yourself in a previous post when you said "Comparison is death."  The implied comparison with a disabled person is eloquently explained in the TED video.  You are killing your own argument.

Message 8 of 21 (328 Views)

Yes, good talk. I watched it before. Thanks for posting it.

Don't you think that this senior athlete did something laudable even if you take the disability away? I do. I don't think NSG was applauding her normal, everyday behavior because she also happens to have MS. I think we are all applauding her behavior because she refuses to lay down. (Sing with me: Ain't no mountain high enough to keep me from the Ga-ames... Smiley Happy)

Seems to me, that calling this objectification is itself reducing the athlete to her disability.

As a person who was told by doctors that she would end up in a wheelchair by the time she was 30, I am all about supporting and elevating people who refuse to lay down --no matter what it is that is trying to stand in their way. Smiley Happy I see no disrespect in applauding this athlete's heart: she is so much more than her MS.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 21 (336 Views)

Questioning the "Social Model of Disability"...

https://www.ted.com/talks/stella_young_i_m_not_your_inspiration_thank_you_very_much#t-540583

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 10 of 21 (492 Views)

"You can do something ordinary or out of the ordinary without being called "brave", "courageous", "special" or "an inspiration"."  ~  Cara Liebowitz

http://thatcrazycrippledchick.blogspot.com/2011/02/able-privilege-checklist.html

http://disabledfeminists.com/2009/11/20/disability-101-what-is-able-bodied-or-abled-privilege/

https://ericamones.wordpress.com/2017/08/02/the-myth-of-the-super-cripple/