WATCH NOW: Iowa presidential candidate forum from Council Bluffs. Appearing: Montana Gov. Steve Bullock, South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders. 

Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Sitting is the New Smoking

Message 1 of 4

I limit the time I spend at the computer. I live in a pedestrian-friendly town, so that helps as well.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

DH saw this study rebuttal on LinkedIn this AM. I haven't read it yet (intend to this afternoon), but am posting a link to the article in case anyone wants to discuss it:

https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/09/16/0326223/sedentary-lifestyle-study-called-a-raging-dumpst...

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

To keep myself moving throughout the day, I do things like check the chickens 4-6 times; leave all but one water bottle upstairs (if I'm working downstairs) and leave all but one water bottle downstairs (if I'm working upstairs). DH set up both of our desks so that we can stand and be on the computer or can sit and be on the computer.

In addition, when we watch a movie of Hulu, we generally lay on the floor rather than sit on the couch (which is marginally better than sitting). Then I play around with the exercise ball or do leg stretches during commercials.

How about you? What tips for reducing time spent sitting can you share with others? 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Sitting is the New Smoking

Message 4 of 4

Longer Bouts Of Sitting Linked To Greater Risk Of Death, Study Finds

By this point, most people are aware of the connection between being sedentary and dying earlier. If that’s not enough of a problem, it also seems that long hours sitting isn’t totally offset by activity: A study a couple of years ago found that even people who exercise, if they sit a lot otherwise, are still at greater risk of mortality. And a new study in Annals of Internal Medicinebuilds on the growing body of evidence against sitting, finding that being sedentary for longer chunks of time, unpunctuated by getting up and about, may be just as bad as sitting for more hours total.

"We tend to think of sedentary behavior as just the sheer volume of how much we sit around each day," said study author Keith Diaz in a news release. "But previous studies have suggested that sedentary patterns--whether an individual accrues sedentary time through several short stretches or fewer long stretches of time--may have an impact on health."

"This study adds to the growing literature on how dangerous long periods of sitting are for our health,” said study co-author Monika Safford, “and underscores a growing awareness among clinicians and researchers that sitting really is the new smoking.”

Read the entire piece at Forbeshttps://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwalton/2017/09/12/longer-bouts-of-sitting-linked-to-shorter-lifes...

So hey, go feel the earth moooove under your feet. :) Maybe not with quite as much energy as does  Martika here, but do remember to move around every hour today, OK?

Martika; I Feel The Earth Move

Kudos
Views
Replies