Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Share a recipe with easy staple items

Sometimes using some staple items that are in the house already is all you can do!  What simple recipes can you share that use in-home universal ingredients.

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Stir-n-Roll Pie Crust

2 cups flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 cup oil (I use olive oil)

1/4 cup milk (I use oat, rice, or almond milk)

Mix flour and salt. Pour oil and milk into a measuring cup (don't stir) and add all at once to the flour mix. Mix until it reaches dough consistency only (playing with the dough causes toughness). Roll dough between 2 squares of wax paper for easier handling. Peel off the top piece of wax paper, place your pie pan upside down on the dough and use the bottom layer of wax paper to help flip the dough into the pie pan.

Bake at 450° for 8 to 10 minutes or follow the instructions for your filling recipe. This makes one two-crust pie or two one-crust pies.

This recipe is from an early 1970s home ec junior high school class. Highly recomended.

0 Kudos
Trusted Contributor

Here is a recipe I got a couple of years ago from Tony Salatan. He wrote this down for me as it's presented. I never made this before, but he claims it's too good not to pass up...

Roasted canned corn a la Melvin. (Named after Tony's second cousin-in-law!)

One can of corn (Any flavor)

1/2 teaspoon of seasoned salt

Drop(s) of olive oil to taste

Pinch of non-sugar sweetner

Place everything in a pot. Stir quickly. Cook on low flame for ten minutes, stirring occationaly. Turn off heat. Let sit in pot for ten minutes.

Serve with sourdough bread, sliced pickled cheese, or anything you want to add!

-Enjoy!!

Contributor

That corn sounds tasty, can't wait to try.  Thank you

0 Kudos

Brown hamburger. Drain. Add to Bechemel Sauce (Sauce madexwith butter flour and milk).  Spice up hamburger with Salt pepper garlic

Contributor
Super Contributor

I like to whip up some easy Fried Rice with whatever's in the fridge or freezer.  This usually means sauteed carrots, celery, onions or green onions, maybe garlic, frozen peas plus anything leftover from another meal such as other veggies and diced ham (leftover from Easter!).  Scramble a couple of eggs, add sauteed veggies/meat, add cooked rice and continue to stir fry till the rice is a bit crispy.  Fried Rice is very forgiving ~ use what you have.  Oh, and sprinkle with soy sauce before devouring!  😀

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP