Search

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rooting Hormone

Anyone using rooting hormone?

0 Kudos
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Super Contributor

I use willow tea to speed up root production of my cuttings. The bark and wood of willows (Salix genus) is filled with gibberellic acid, the plant hormone that triggers root production. This is why you can stick a fresh willow branch in damp soil and it'll grow into a new tree.

I use a pencil sharpener to grind up 5-6 pencil-sized sticks of willow and add these shavings to a quart  of non-chlorinated water, let it sit in my fridge (labeled!) for about 4 weeks, then dip new cutting into it before planting them.

-Mark

The medicine man at www.medicinemanplantco.com

View solution in original post

Super Contributor

I use willow tea to speed up root production of my cuttings. The bark and wood of willows (Salix genus) is filled with gibberellic acid, the plant hormone that triggers root production. This is why you can stick a fresh willow branch in damp soil and it'll grow into a new tree.

I use a pencil sharpener to grind up 5-6 pencil-sized sticks of willow and add these shavings to a quart  of non-chlorinated water, let it sit in my fridge (labeled!) for about 4 weeks, then dip new cutting into it before planting them.

-Mark

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lol @MarkV847771 finally got my answer. Thank you 🙂 🙂 🙂

0 Kudos
Super Contributor

Plants and their chemistry are my thing. 🙂

-Mark

Silver Conversationalist

@Anonymous  I have never used a ROOTING HORMONE. Have you @Markv84777, @AARPRachelA, @Tonster521, @wilful or @DaveMcK?; or anyone else in the Community?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @LindaB671 can you tell me how you handle your cuttings? Thanks 😀

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

@Anonymous @Thank you for asking! I haven’t done root cuttings in awhile, but when I did I always placed the cutting in water and when the roots grew to 1-2 inches I would transfer to a pot filled with potting soil or to my outdoor garden.

Kudos
Views
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @LindaB671 thanks 😀

Community Manager
Community Manager

I've never used rooting hormone. I do what @LindaB671 does with cuttings - put them in a little glass jar with water until the roots have grown 1-2 inches, and then transfer to a pot with soil.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP