AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Protein Found in Belly Fat Increases Cancer Risk

Message 1 of 3

A cautionary tale to maybe put these finding into perspective for anyone concerned about their belly fat...

My eldest sister-in-law died last summer of pancreatic cancer. She was given to sedentary pursuits, knitting, reading, beading. She believed she had her diabetes under control. She was a petite 63-year-old woman who carried a bit of belly fat. An apple, as we say, but a small apple. She felt ill on Valentine's Day and was gone by the Fourth of July.  Her grandchildren are still quite young.

This tragedy has turned me into something of a crusader. DH and I, long time athletes and always the most fit of our families, have shed a combined total of 50 pounds* in the past year and we feel better and, amazingly, have more energy than we have in years.

If you are unfit and wondering where to begin your path to better health, please hear this: START MOVING. Today. Your future self will thank you.

get moving.jpg

*I've been at this longer than him: I've lost 50 pounds total all by myself in the past 2+ years.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content

Re: Protein Found in Belly Fat Increases Cancer Risk

Message 2 of 3

We've probably all heard of 'pinch an inch'. This study says pinching 3 inches of fat near your belly button could mean serious health risk.

I guess this is why our doctor moved from the BMI measurement to measuring our waists.

waist.jpg

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Protein Found in Belly Fat Increases Cancer Risk

Message 3 of 3
From Dr Mirkin's free Newsletter. Subscribe here: http://www.drmirkin.com

Protein Found in Belly Fat Increases Cancer Risk

belly fat.jpgPull Quote: "The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) reported that being overweight is associated with almost five million cancer deaths each year and increases risk for 17 different cancers..."

New research shows that visceral fat (the fat inside your belly and around organs) makes a protein called fibroblast growth factor-2 (FGF2) in much larger amounts than fat underneath your skin does. FGF2 can convert normal cells into cancerous ones (Oncogene, August 7, 2017). Visceral fat gives you a big belly by forming around the liver, pancreas, and intestines. It also forms around your heart. Many studies show that having excess fat in your belly increases inflammation far more than fat anywhere else, and inflammation increases risk for several cancers (Circulation , 2008;117(13):1658–1667). This new research offers a possible mechanism.

The Study
Researchers fattened rats by feeding them a high-fat diet and then caused skin cancers by exposing them to high doses of ultraviolet B rays (UVB). The rats that had the biggest increases in belly fat had the highest levels of FGF2 and the highest rates of skin cancers. The researchers also showed that FGF2 turns skin and breast cells into cancer cells. The study involved both research in mice and tests on human fat cells in the laboratory. The researchers also obtained samples of visceral fat tissue from cancer-free obese human subjects and studied whether incubating this tissue with the epithelial cells that line organs caused cancer.

The authors propose that:
• FGF2 levels and abdominal obesity are far better predictors of cancer than just being overweight, and that
• people with big bellies may be able to help prevent cancers by dieting, exercising and avoiding smoking.

Cancers Associated with Excess Belly Fat
A review of 4,641 articles showed that excess belly fat turns on your immunity to cause inflammation which, in turn increases risk for cancers of the colon, rectum, postmenopausal breast, liver, endometrium, esophagus, kidney, stomach, gall bladder, pancreas, ovary, thyroid and multiple myeloma, as well as for heart attacks and diabetes (Cancer Prev Res, September 1, 2017;10(9):494-506). Even those who are not overweight but have big bellies still have significantly increased risk for cancers, heart attacks and diabetes.

Being overweight or obese is the single biggest preventable cause of cancer after smoking. See Excess Weight Raises Cancer Risk.

Read More About The Risks of Excess Belly Fat From Dr Mirkin's site: 

http://www.drmirkin.com/morehealth/excess-weight-raises-cancer-risk.html

Dr Mirkin's Recommendations
If you are overweight, you are increasing your risk for many types of cancer, particularly if you store most of your fat in your belly. I recommend Intermittent Fasting as the most effective way to lose weight and to control weight permanently once you have reached your goal.