Become a safer, more confident driver with the AARP Smart Driver course! Use the promo code VET and save 25% during November.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Preventive Health Care for Seniors

Message 1 of 8
Thank you again Gail. Those were very informative articles. I posted a long response, but I don't see it, so just letting you know that your response was appreciated.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

Yes it does include osteoporosis screening. I opted not to include it because one of my doctors did the screening years ago and then prescribed Fosomax, which has been found to cause osteoporosis. Needless to say, I stopped seeing that doctor and subsequent tests have shown no signs of bone deterioration. Sometimes you just don't know who to trust!

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

Thank you for the articles and references. I have read them all, but none have convinced me that, when comparing CenseoHealth with LifeLine Screening, that Medicare should approve the former and not the latter. It strikes me that CenseoHealth must have friends in the right places.

I also noted that Medicare Part B covers at least 3 of the screenings I opted for, but apparently only if my doctor orders it. My doctor, whom I dearly love, started me on a amlodipine besylate 2.5 mg as a precaution because of my family history. This in spite of the fact that my blood pressure has rarely fluctuated from 130/80 in the 20 years she has been treating me. I'm afraid to stop taking it because my brother had his first stroke after he stopped  taking blood pressure medication because it interfered with his energy level.

Basically, my husband says it best: they call it medical practice because that's mostly what doctors do - practice.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

Thank you gail1! Ididn't know about this, but I wrote to both of my Senators, my Member of the House, and the local news station to complain about CenseoHealth. I was so annoyed about the visit because I was lead to believe that there would be much more to it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

@kadk26

You should also know about the Medicare fraud case involving CenseoHealth.

They have been accused of upcoding Medicare Advantage plan beneficiaries so that the MA plan receives more in Medicare dollars - Medicare (CMS) pays MA plans more for the sicker patients - it is called a risk adjustment factor

NPR 08/2015 - Whistleblower Says Medicare Advantage Plans Padded charges for Home Visits

Explaining it a bit more -

Public Integrity.org - 06/2014 - Home is where the money is for Medicare Advantage plans

I do not know where the case is currently.  

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

@kadk26 and @ss11943859

Each of you should understand that most in the medical/medical science field don't think most of the preventive test offered by LifeLine or marketed under whatever the name are actually a good value for your medical dollars.

Chicago Tribune 05/2015 - Experts Question Value of Heart Tests Sold As Potential Life-Savers

Medicare - traditional and Advantage plans - cover those preventive test that have been deemed classified as A or B in worthiness by the US Preventive Task Force.

Here's the list - 

for all age groups:

U.S. Preventive Service Task Force "A" and "B" Recommendations

This list is updated when medical evidence brings forth different screenings.

specifically for Medicare beneficiaries -

Medicare.gov - Preventive and Screening Services

Outside this realm, your doctor can order diagnostic test if there is medical necessity - like following up on symptoms or help with a diagnosis.  Of course, your doctor will also know your family history and any familiar, hereditary, lifestyle factors.  

Could these test find something suspicious - sure but then other diagnostic test have to be performed for conclusion especially if you are asymptpmatic or it maybe something that needs more follow up.

Make your own decision but now you know what Medicare covers, when and why. There are always things in medicine that are rated good, better, best in value and even not a good value.

@ss11943859

The bone scan for osteoporosis is done as a preventive test covered under Medicare although the test is much more involved than what you described.

It is called a bone density scan or DEXA if you want to find out more about it.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

The Lifeline screening; does this include an osteoporosis exam ? Years ago, a co-worker said she'd had an osteoporosis exam by Lifeline which was done by putting one's finger or toe in a small device which revealed the amount of bone loss. I found this unbelievable.

I've never heard of CenseoHealth, which may not be available in all areas of course. I think too, Medicare should cover the tests/exams essential to seniors ; hearing & dental especially. They sure don't mind robbing us by way of premiums !

Sandee2
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Preventive Health Care for Seniors

Message 8 of 8

I recently had an in-home visit from a medical doctor representing CenseoHealth, a visit for which Medicare paid 100%. The doctor conducted no more of an examination than my regular physician sans blood-work, lab tests, and scheduling for colonoscopy, mammogram, etc.If this was something for very poor seniors who have been found not to visit a physician on a regular basis, it could be justified. If I lived in a rural area with limited access to a physician this could be justified. If I was in a nursing home, this might be justified. However, none of these circumstances apply to me.

However, there is a much more relevant preventive medical screening which is not covered by Medicare conducted by LifeLine Screening. They screen for plaque in the carotid artery, atrial fibrillation, abdominal aortic aneurysm, peripheral arterial disease, and osteoporosis. My primary care physician will not order these tests because Medicare will not cover the cost unless I have had a stroke or negative heart event in spite of the fact that my mother died from congestive heart failure at 73 and my brother had two heart attacks and two strokes. The last stroke took his life at only 70 years of age.

Fortunately, I can afford to pay out-of-pocket for LifeLine Screening and I have scheduled an appointment. My concern is for seniors who cannot afford the cost and must wait for a heart attack or stroke before insurance will cover the cost of screening - if they survive. I am praying that AARP will put its resources toward lobbying Medicare to cover this preventive health screening to save lives and money.

LifeLine Screening costs $145 while CenseoHealth costs $350. Which is the better value?

Margaret L.Owens

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season