Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Positive Thinking: Stop Negative Self Talk To Reduce Stress

Message 1 of 27

Another article on the subject of positivity*, this one from Psychology Today, written by the author of the book entitled Positivity

Read the entire piece here: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/positivity/200903/what-good-is-positivity

What Good Is Positivity?

The article's end note: 

A few weeks after the book release, I was invited to speak at The Regulator Bookshop in nearby Durham, North Carolina. After I made opening remarks and read a passage from my book, a gentleman raised his hand to say that six days after he starting reading Positivity, his friends and family started calling him "the new Jim." He acknowledged that he'd been rather curmudgeonly most of his life, and that learning about the science of positive emotions opened up new possibilities for him, possibilities that rippled through his web of family and friends. No, I hadn't paid him to say this - I'd never met Jim before, old or new. Yet his words touched my heart and reminded me why I wrote the book. I wrote it for the new Jim.

Did I mention that Jim is 88?

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content

Message 2 of 27

s225154r wrote:

I have to admit, sometimes (just sometimes) I worry too.... 

@s225154r Oh sure, me too. Things like "Is that other cyclists hurt? Should I go back and find him?" The trick being balancing that with positive thoughts and ideas. I hope. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 3 of 27

Definitely food for thought... "if we are worried, we are LIVING IN THE FUTURE. Stay in the NOW..."

Love it! And, it's definitely something I'll pass along to the many people I come across that worry constantly. I have to admit, sometimes (just sometimes) I worry too.... 

Message 4 of 27

mrsrg2 wrote:
That is not living. If the only thing in life you have to look forward to is not being disappointed, then there is never any growth, any joy or any adventure in your dull, mondain life. There is much joy in adventures, people and interesting times. Everyone needs to let go and let God fill your life with joy and gladness, just grateful for the blessing to be alive.

@mrsrg2  We have a similar outlook, I see. Smiley Happy

Info Seeker

Message 5 of 27
That is not living. If the only thing in life you have to look forward to is not being disappointed, then there is never any growth, any joy or any adventure in your dull, mondain life. There is much joy in adventures, people and interesting times. Everyone needs to let go and let God fill your life with joy and gladness, just grateful for the blessing to be alive.
Conversationalist

Message 6 of 27

To the poster with a hurricane comment ... I live in a state that just recently had a hurricane. Naturally, it isn't pleasant, but there are things worse than this. Most of it is perspective.

I'm neither. I'm a realist. It has its benefits and its drawbacks. I make my determinations with facts, research, charts, numbers, Etc. It sounds dull but I'm somewhat comfortable with it.

Message 7 of 27

@pcallary  I hope to see you posting often on these boards. Smiley Happy

Info Seeker

Message 8 of 27

Thanks for the feedback and support!

Message 9 of 27

pcallary wrote:

Yep. I try to stay in a state of gratitude. It is impossible to be in gratitude and sad/pessimistic at the same time. If we are worried...we are living in the future. Staying in the NOW helps me relax and stay grounded. Whenever I feel myself getting anxious/worried, I come back to NOW and find something/anything to be grateful for. 

@pcallary  Such a laudable attitude!

(And hey: welcome to the online community! Smiley Happy)

Info Seeker

Message 10 of 27

Yep. I try to stay in a state of gratitude. It is impossible to be in gratitude and sad/pessimistic at the same time. If we are worried...we are living in the future. Staying in the NOW helps me relax and stay grounded. Whenever I feel myself getting anxious/worried, I come back to NOW and find something/anything to be grateful for.