ACA Open Enrollment Ends Dec. 15. Review Your Options Before Being Locked in for 2018. Read More

Info Seeker

Re: Positive Thinking: Stop Negative Self Talk To Reduce Stress

Message 11 of 27

I'm an oportunist. While the optimist and pessimist were arguing as to whether the glass of water was half full or half empty, I drank it.

Geezergeek

Report Inappropriate Content
Super Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 27

The advantage to being a pessimist is that you’ll never be disappointed!

Conversationalist

Message 13 of 27
same at my house, one time my husband said to me "you never worry about anything" my reply to him was I don't have to you worry enough for both of us. My Dad told me if worrying will change anything I will sit down with you and we will worry if worrying won't change anything, let's figure out what to do (about whatever the situation was). I always found my Dad to be a very wise man.
Conversationalist

Message 14 of 27
This sounds a lot like my home life when I was a child. Hooray for you and for me!
Conversationalist

Message 15 of 27

I try to practice gratitude and mindfulness but I have developed panic and anxiety attacks, worsened by frequent calamitious family events over which I have little control. My own childhood was physically and mentally abusive and negative fatalism replaced optimism, and this attitude resurfaces from the recesses of my mind in dealing with current prolonged problems. I saw a psychologist for six sessions this spring, but it was of little benefit. I try to determine the stressors that I do have control over and to take authoritative action, and this creates a modicum of positivity.

Conversationalist

Negative Self Talk

Message 16 of 27

I can't cope with things, and noboby will assist!

Highlighted
Info Seeker

Message 17 of 27

I grew up with a Father who faced adversity his entire life beginning at the age of two.

He instilled in me that no matter how difficult life became there was a Greater Power above..

He taught me all my prayers for my First Communion.

My Mother was busy with five children...

I was the oldest of five and was given a lot of responsibility at a young age.

There was never any time to feel underprivileged.

I am a strong believer in prayer..

It's difficult to listen to one's own sibling and realize their childhood memories are negative.

We were never rich...we always had food to eat and clothes to wear.

My Father did instill in me a love of reading. I try to read currently popular writer's novels and old classics.

I have witnessed my Parents decline in health and had to be upbeat in spite of the sadness.

My one Sibling refused to accept that death was imminent for our Father. 

My Mother was devastated and almost died three weeks later herself. She had a strong will to live and fought for 7 years with congestive heart failure.

She once said when she came so close to death she could not break our hearts!

We were all adults and yet she felt such beautiful love for her children and grandchildren.

I had many Friends and Family praying for her.

I refused to give up.

I am older now and in three years will be 70 years old.

My only concern is for my Son.

I do try to visit my Sister every weekend. This past weekend it was painful to drive because I have been ill. It was important to give her a birthday card and small gift.

I was too ill to attend Mass Sunday and stayed home.

My Son is busy and checks on me.

I refuse to feel sorry for myself.

There are too many suffering in our world. 

I am thankful for all the blessings given to me.

It is my belief that if we could be more kind and positive to others it would multiply a hundredfold...

It does not cost too much to smile.

Social Butterfly

Message 18 of 27

I've had people tell me they are surprised that I keep an optimistic view, even when I am going through some terrible things (This year has been a doozy!).  I believe that bad things will pass and good things will return as I trust in God.  i don't want bad vibes to rub off on other people!  I call myself a pessimistic optimist; I know there is a silver lining, just can't see it for the clouds!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 19 of 27

@js6058  I know what you mean. Artist married to a software engineer here. We almost always come at something from different angles, though I confess we generally end up in the same place. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Conversationalist

Message 20 of 27

Optimist married to a pessimest!!! Somehow we balance each other out. Always makes for great discussions!