There's always more to discover with an AARP membership! Check out your member benefits.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Pickleball Ambassador Encourages All To Experience Sport

Message 1 of 2

There is a give away of pickleball paddles on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/ga/p/2aa3f7c3242c3760#ln-ln

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Pickleball Ambassador Encourages All To Experience Sport

Message 2 of 2

In a neighborhood east of Tallahassee, halfway between Florida’s Capital City and Monticello, Rubia Byrd has built her field of dreams. Or rather, her Pickleball “court of dreams.” It’s located in the driveway of her home.

The 75-year old Byrd, who spent 34 years in the hustle and bustle of Southern California as a librarian at Van Nuys High School, has returned to the slower and quieter life of her native North Florida. At least until she steps on the Pickleball court in her driveway or at Jack McLean Park, Premier Fitness Center or the Tallahassee Senior Center.

Then she quickens her pace and reaction time to keep up with the fast-paced game played on a 22’ by 44’ court and hears the constant, distinct sound of the Pickleball hitting her paddle. “Pickleball is my friend,” she said. “It’s now in my heart.”

Four years ago, Byrd picked up a paddle after seeing a sign at the Tallahassee Senior Center advertising the weekly “come one, come all” invitation to try one of the hottest new sports in the country. Being a tennis player in her 30s and 40s, she thought the two games had similarities.

“I just walked in and there was someone to teach me the game,” she recalled. “It’s a very good game and my reaction time to the quick game is good. It became something I want to do every day.”

Her love for the game has reached the point where she wants others to experience the camaraderie and competition of Pickleball. She is now a USA Pickleball Association (USAPA) Ambassador.

Read all about it: http://www.tallahassee.com/story/life/active-living/2017/05/15/ambassador-encourages-experience-pick...

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Replies