Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

PSYCHEDELICS - A CURE FOR MENTAL DISORDERS?

Regular Contributor

PSYCHEDELICS - A CURE FOR MENTAL DISORDERS?

Psychedelics belong to a group of hallucinogenic drugs that trigger non-ordinary states of consciousness or psychedelic experiences. These drugs activate the brain to combat mental disorders such as anxiety, depression and PTSD. According to WHO, depression is a leading cause of disability affecting more than 360 million people worldwide every year. Psilocybin produced from "Magic Mushrooms", DMT (N-Dimethyltryptamine) found in some plants and Ketamine, besides the notorious LSD, are examples of psychedelics. While psilocybin and DMT are undergoing clinical trials these days, ketamine is far more advanced and has already entered the marketplace as a treatment for anxiety and severe depression. 

I am starting this thread to solicit our members' opinions on psychedelics as well as to get a feedback on their personal experiences if they they have used any psychedelic drugs to treat their mental disorders.

Finally, a warning is in order! Please do not use these drugs without consulting a Physician.

Pilgrim 241

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Psychedelics are powerful and potentially dangerous substances, for sure. My sister studies medicine, and she told me about its physical and psychological effects. These results can be unpredictable. If someone decides to use them, it's crucial to consult with a healthcare professional. Always remember that everyone's experience with psychedelics can be different. So, anyone trying them should be aware of all the potential risks.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Back in October I was notified that the post suggesting the removal of the "D" from "PTSD", dated Feb/13/2022, received a Kudo...ten months after it was posted...honestly I had forgotten all about making this post. Out of curiosity I re-read the whole thread. It's been on my mind ever since.
The comparison of 'PTSD' to the Grieving Process was an over generalization. For many people, experiencing Post Traumatic Stress distress is comparable to the Grieving Process. If assisted therapy sessions using Psychadelics can be helpful dealing with either situation (PTS or Grief) then by all means, go for it...with maximum emphasis on doing so safely. But 'PTSD' has become such a broadly applied term that it can be used to describe a spectrum of conditions similarly to way the term Autism has evolved.
Some people experiencing 'PTSD' have symptoms that are more akin to an alcoholic or drug addict going through withdrawal, a different kind of reaction to the loss of something familiar or loved. Some people seem to be almost unaffected following the same or similar experiences. A person experiencing withdrawal-like symptoms may have a significantly different psyche than a person with grief-like symptoms. A person who experiences little or no reaction may have an entirely different make-up all together. An examination of all these conditions would undoubtedly shed light on the spectrum of experiences lumped together using the term 'PTSD' and possibly lead to a more appropriate application of the term 'Disorder'. The the type or intensity of symptoms may indicate an antisocial personality disorder.

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

Lets take the "D" out of "PTSD".  It is not a disorder it is a natural neurological process.  Having that "D" there is like calling the greiving process Loss of a Loved One Disorder.

#MedicatingNormal

Regular Contributor

Good news for those who would like to try psychedelics legally for treating conditions such as anxiety, depression, addiction and PTSD! Early next year, following a ballot approval in 2020, Oregonians will have access to psilocybin derived from Magic Mushrooms for psychedelic therapy. Other states such as Texas will follow Oregon pretty soon. FDA hails psilocybin as a "breakthrough therapy" for treating severe depression! This new openness for psychedelics is indeed encouraging.

Regular Contributor

On September 2, I participated in a webinar on "Psychedelics in Psychiatry" hosted by Prof. Matthew Johnson at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. The webinar was focused on clinical trials using Psilocybin derived from mushrooms. The trials clearly indicated that psilocybin leads to increased personality openness in healthy participants, decreased depression and anxiety in cancer patients, and increased biologically-confirmed quit rates in treatment-resistant tobacco cigarette smokers. For additional information, go to the link:

https://www.bigmarker.com/labx-media-group/Psychedelics-in-Psychiatry?bmid=852cc29beb60

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

The Native Americas in New England used the mushrooms for headaches and mental balancing as well. It's been our belief that the early settlers to the region accidentally ingested the " magic mushrooms" not knowing of the psychedelic qualities, which in turn, led to the infamous Salem Witch Trials. 

It was ergot, a mold that grew on stored grains that caused hallucinations.  It also caused severe pain and muscle spasms to those who ate the foods made from these grains; including animals/family pets.  It wasn't from psyllicybin.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

As a Native American, the use of psychedelics has been a part of our culture since time immemorial. The use of Peyote during our ceremonies has always been a source of cleansing the mind and a step in healing. I've used peyote since my coming of age and only thru ceremony have continued using it. As I've grown older I have noticed that I'm less stressed out, very ,if any, headaches. My memory is still intact and my mental state is normal. Of course I've never done drugs and have limited use of alcohol in my life. I believe in the power of Mother Earth to heal me. There is considerable proof that when used properly Marihuana, Mushrooms and Peyote can provide relief from certain mental conditions. It's better to depend on nature then to depend on chemicals that only mask the problem while creating more thru side effects.

Remember every known culture has at some point in time relied on Mother Earth to provide relief from illness .

Regular Contributor

Thanks Oscar for sharing your personal experience with our audience. This is exactly the kind of input I was hoping for when I started this topic less than a week ago. Native Americans have used Psychedelics such as Peyote and Ayahuasca brews for centuries in religious festivals as well as for physical and mental healing. Peyote is a small spineless cactus containing the psychoactive compound Mescaline and Ayahuasca is a psychoactive brew containing DMT extracted from plants and herbs in South America. 

440px-Peyote_Cactus.jpg

Cactus used for Peyote Brew

440px-Ayahuasca_and_chacruna_cocinando.jpg

Plants and Shrubs used for Ayahuasca Brew

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroidsยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP