AARP Urges Congress to Prevent $25 Billion in Medicare Cuts. Read the Letter

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Older Athletes' Age in Fitness Terms 'Astounding,' Doctor Says

Message 1 of 5

Epster wrote:

So I took the online test, and recall taking it before. Last year, maybe. I think my results are the same, but then, the highest level of daily exercise they allow for is 30 minutes and I actually average an hour and forty minutes a day (4-5 hour bike rides, you know) so I'm reminded that this test might not be as accurate as would be a physical from a sports doctor. Anyway, here's the result:

I'm actually 58. My 'expected' Vo2 is 32.I'm actually 58. My 'expected' Vo2 is 32.

BTB, that's the fitness of a 25-year-old. I have a face designed by MapQuest compete with wells and dirt roads. LOL. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted

Message 2 of 5

DH took the test; this is his result. The difference here is blood sugar. I've never had high blood sugar, whereas he struggled with it earlier in the year. But truth be told he's more fit than me. His body fat is 18.5%. 

DH is 56 and his 'expected' Vo2 is 42.DH is 56 and his 'expected' Vo2 is 42.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 3 of 5

So I took the online test, and recall taking it before. Last year, maybe. I think my results are the same, but then, the highest level of daily exercise they allow for is 30 minutes and I actually average an hour and forty minutes a day (4-5 hour bike rides, you know) so I'm reminded that this test might not be as accurate as would be a physical from a sports doctor. Anyway, here's the result:

I'm actually 58. My 'expected' Vo2 is 32.I'm actually 58. My 'expected' Vo2 is 32.

Message 4 of 5

Maybe the question we should ask ourselves when beginning an exercise regime is "How old do I want to be?" rather than "What do I want to weigh?"

Older Athletes' Age in Fitness Terms 'Astounding,' Doctor Says

Message 5 of 5

Also from the Canadian Broadcasting Corp...

Super-fit participants in the National Senior Games show a fitness age up to 25 years younger than their chronological age thanks to their cardiovascular health, says a U.S. doctor Pamela Peeke, an assistant professor of medicine at the University of Maryland ,who took to Facebook with the findings to inspire people of all abilities.

Researcher Ulrik Wisloff at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim designed the calculator and has published research based on findings in Norwegians. When Peeke learned of the calculator, she jumped at the opportunity to collaborate with Wisloff on another group: competitors at the National Senior Games.

The online calculator asks people to provide information such as their age, city, ethnicity, how often they work out and how hard, as well as resting and maximum heart rates to estimate cardiovascular fitness level or "fitness age."

The average age of the Senior Games participants was 68. Their average fitness age was 43, Peeke said on Facebook after the findings were featured in the New York Times. 

The pair wanted to "get the word out on the fitness age immediately because that was sort of astounding that you can clip off a quarter century by putting yourself in that kind of condition," Peeke said in an interview Thursday.

"This is striking data."

Read the entire article: http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/older-athletes-age-in-fitness-terms-astounding-doctor-says-1.3136319