From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Obese, bad knee, no local friends - small budget

Message 1 of 5

I occasionally have knee issues. I find biking is easier on my knees than walking or hiking for exercise....but I know that's dependent on what's causing knee pain.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5

@vb26388621 wrote:

looking for easy at home exercises for bad osteo-arthritus knee..  getting 2nd cortizone shot next week but it only last 3 weeks (can get every 3 months only), Dr gave no other choices other than "eventual" surgery.- he seemed good on his online profile  with lots of famous local sports patients, but maybe I should seek another dr.  My primary doctor had said there are "lots" of new treatments when she referred me, Any advice?  Lost 40lbs last year using keto diet but fell off during holidays and gained back 20lbs. Restarted a month ago and down 5lbs, The more I walk the more my knee hurts,  Cannot do floor exercises as knee is sore to touch. and my memory foam couch and bed are not supportive enough for prone exercises and no chairs availale for seated exercise (wheeled and rockers only here lol)   Ps    .  I am online most every day sitting - have some online web game friends and I do online surveys and reward programs for some extra money, 

At a certain point of wear of your joint there is nothing that will fix it except surgery.  Losing weight is the most effective action you can take and nothing will take it's place.  Exercise is as simple as walking  but exercise will not reverse or repair the damage.  Motrin and Aleve will definitely help with the pain but again, will not reverse the damage.   

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

@vb26388621 I'm sorry you are in pain. I believe you are ready to fix it, and so applaud you!

I found this website offering exercises for osteo-arthritic knees: https://www.practicalpainmanagement.com/patient/conditions/knee-osteoarthritis/5-exercises-knee-oste...

and this one: http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/arthritis-information/conditions/osteoarthritis-of-the-knee/knee-...

and this one too: https://www.verywell.com/exercise-and-knee-osteoarthritis-1231275

I hope you find something doable there.

Best regards!

Epster

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

@vb26388621 - Good luck to you! Just a comment about the diet, based on my own experience. I've been on a Whole30/Paleo diet for about a year now, primarily for health considerations & secondarily to take off some weight. When I was a little impatient at one point, my doctor suggested the ketogenic diet, but I didn't want to give up fruit totally, and it seemed to extreme for me. You might want to read up on Whole30, "It Starts With Food" by the Hartwigs, because it leaves you delicious fresh fruit as a much healthier alternative to all the holiday temptations, and may reduce/eliminate falling off the new eating plan before you're ready.

I think of it as a permanent change in my way of eating, without "cheat days", or falling for friends suggesting I eat something "just this once," when we're eating out.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views
Replies

Obese, bad knee, no local friends - small budget

Message 5 of 5

looking for easy at home exercises for bad osteo-arthritus knee..  getting 2nd cortizone shot next week but it only last 3 weeks (can get every 3 months only), Dr gave no other choices other than "eventual" surgery.- he seemed good on his online profile  with lots of famous local sports patients, but maybe I should seek another dr.  My primary doctor had said there are "lots" of new treatments when she referred me, Any advice?  Lost 40lbs last year using keto diet but fell off during holidays and gained back 20lbs. Restarted a month ago and down 5lbs, The more I walk the more my knee hurts,  Cannot do floor exercises as knee is sore to touch. and my memory foam couch and bed are not supportive enough for prone exercises and no chairs availale for seated exercise (wheeled and rockers only here lol)   Ps    .  I am online most every day sitting - have some online web game friends and I do online surveys and reward programs for some extra money, 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season