Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Nutrition Needs of Senior Athletes

Message 1 of 9

@retiredtraveler wrote:

".....That said: yeah I think many women's bodies are quite adept at creating fat. I think it is far easier for the fair sex to gain weight. We just need to take our fitness that much more seriously....".

Just joking. DW weighs what she did when we got married almost 41 years ago. Not a single pound. But she works out daily, as I do, and eats very little. No bp issues, low cholesterol. It's disgusting! Smiley Tongue

@retiredtraveler Oh gosh, I hope you didn't think I was upset. Far from it.

Your wife sounds like an excellent example of my hypothesis. (And a woman after my own heart)

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

".....That said: yeah I think many women's bodies are quite adept at creating fat. I think it is far easier for the fair sex to gain weight. We just need to take our fitness that much more seriously....".

Just joking. DW weighs what she did when we got married almost 41 years ago. Not a single pound. But she works out daily, as I do, and eats very little. No bp issues, low cholesterol. It's disgusting! Smiley Tongue

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

@retiredtraveler wrote:

"....Men age like wine, women age like milk...".

Couldn't help myself. Smiley Very Happy

@retiredtraveler  Thinking that's only true if the men workout and the women do not.

We live in a super healthy state, and about half the people we see biking, running and walking have gray hair. Judging from what we see while cycling and walking, there is a class of dedicated-to-fitness seniors, and for this class, I think both males and females are in great shape. There are so many gorgeous gray haired men and women in our area! 

That said: yeah I think many women's bodies are quite adept at creating fat. I think it is far easier for the fair sex to gain weight. We just need to take our fitness that much more seriously. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

"....Men age like wine, women age like milk...".

Couldn't help myself. Smiley Very Happy

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

@comet2k wrote:

I ride a bike for exercise and recreation, plus it's something my wife and I can do together. Living in the Chicago area, though, limits cycling to 7-8 months of the year. The only "senior games" I participate in are golf and taking naps. 

Yay you! It's marvelous to be able to exercise as a couple The shared experience/goals/workouts really help in the motivation department as well as the relationship department, we find. We took up cycling as a couple last year when we got recumbent trikes. Previous to that my tendency to end up in ER put a damper on DH's willingness to accompany me on a ride, so we hiked instead. Smiley Happy

I spent time in my youth on the Chicago northshore, and while they are all gone now, once had lots of family in the area. These days I shovel snow in Colorado. Smiley Happy

LOL on the golf and taking naps quip. Smiley Happy

This article about senior athlete nutrition is of interest to us as we are training for the racing season and both want to improve performance. Looks like a balance of fat and protein might be just what we need.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

I ride a bike for exercise and recreation, plus it's something my wife and I can do together. Living in the Chicago area, though, limits cycling to 7-8 months of the year. The only "senior games" I participate in are golf and taking naps. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

@comet2k wrote:
The article says, "Aging may improve the quality of fine wines and cheeses, but it tends to negatively affect physical performance." Really? I hadn't noticed. Smiley Happy

@comet2k Ha! Smiley Happy

In some ways I'm better, but there are no more 26 mile, 14,000 feet above sea level apex reaching, out and back hikes in my future, I can tell you that. Smiley Wink 

Do you go to any of the senior games? We are looking at racing recumbent trikes at the Kansas games, the So Dakota games, the Colorado games and the St George, Utah games. I think that's all we can handle for this year. Smiley Wink

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9
The article says, "Aging may improve the quality of fine wines and cheeses, but it tends to negatively affect physical performance." Really? I hadn't noticed. Smiley Happy
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Nutrition Needs of Senior Athletes

Message 9 of 9

Nutrition Needs of Senior Athletes: http://www.ideafit.com/fitness-library/nutrition-needs-of-senior-athletes

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season