AARP’s "Prepare to Care: A Resource Guide for Families" can help make the job more manageable. Here’s how to receive a free copy.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: New Dental Hygienist Did Some Damage To My Mouth With An Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Message 1 of 8

@sgm55

You certainly do not have to take anyone's advice, neither do you have to be rude.

I hope you find someone with whom to commiserate.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: New Dental Hygienist Did Some Damage To My Mouth With An Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Message 2 of 8

I will not get into a point-for-point rebuttal.  I did not post in this forum to get input on what I should or should not do, what is wrong with me, etc., etc.  I certainly know how long 3mm is!  

I posted, here, because I simply wanted to know if anyone else had a bad experience with a hygienist using an ultra-sonic cleaner during a cleaning session.  I know my mouth very well.  I know why things are the way they are. I did have deep scaling and root planing a year ago.  I did have a nice cleaning six months ago.

I hypothesize that the 3mm red streak under my gums was caused by the hygientist constantly looking away while she worked on me, still keeping the cavitron going, in my mouth!  I further put forth that her inattention caused sub-surface capillaries to rupture, thus causing the red streak that freaked her out.  The streak is under the gum tissue.  The tissue over the streak is smooth as silk. There was no blood, no drainage, whatsoever.  Neither my dentist, nor my oral surgeon had ever seen such a thing.  I have worked with ultrasonic equipment, before.  I know what such equipment can do, but not in a case like mine.  The dentist who saw me, after the cleaning, told me he'd have another look in six months, as did my oral surgeon.

Thanks to those who gave me kudos.  I appreciate it.  To those who think they need to educate me, please find others to recieve your words of wisdom. 

Again, if you have had a similar experience, I'd really like to know about it.  All others, please do not reply, here, offering me your advice.  Thanks!

(PS.  I resent the reply that had sexist connotations. "Big girl panties??"  I remember a few bigger gals, and their panties, in my days as an on-the-road musician.  Then again, I remember the smaller gals, too!  I don't think any of them would want this guy to wear their underwear!  Hmm - - -  :-)

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

@sgm55 wrote:

FYI:  You are incorrect in your assumptions AND  you are rather rude. I did, in fact, write to the dentist, on his site, a few days after the cleaning.  He called me, immediately.  We spoke, at length.  I then went and saw my oral surgeon to get his opinion, which I value.  I saw him, again, four weeks after the first visit. I then updated my dentist.  I am polling the forum, here, to see if anyone else has had a bad experience with an ultrasonic cleaning.  That is a wise thing to do, your unpleasant comments notwithstanding.  I am thinking that ultrasonic cleaners have no business being in the hands of hygienists who have not had months of practice, on plastic/composite models.  

There is certain wisdom to be found in crowd thinking (2004's The Wisdom of Crowds, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds) so I'll not join in the complaint that you have posted here. Rather, I would caution you to consider carefully which voices in this crowd are helpful and which are not. (Same as in real life, that.)

Anyway, I have periodontal disease and go in for one deep cleaning and two regular cleanings annually. The ultrasonic version is always done by the dentist rather than the hygenist. And I would not have it any other way.

It seems obvious that the dentist (with much to lose) would rather correct an error than risk the safety of future patients, so why the apparently unskilled hygenist was allowed to do the higher skil required cleaning at all, or even without supervision, would be my question to him. That and, don't you, dear dentist, think you should comp this visit? I'd also register a complaint --no matter what else happens-- with my insurance company. Said complaint will not cost the dentist unless there are other complaints. If there are other complaints, yours will set a review in motion and you can be blessed knowing that you have done your part to spare others a similar experience. Or so it goes with my insurance, at any rate.

I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction in the near future.

Be well.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

Just want to help you by clearing up a few things: 1) recession is NOT caused by vigorus flossing, it's caused by vigorus brushing. You'd have floss cuts if you were flossing as hard as you claim,    2) If you have a "loose molar" it indicates periodontal disease, ie: bone loss, which means you need more then just a "regular cleaning". You are a periodontally involved patient with recession and bone loss. If she was using the cavitron you must have a good amout of calculus build up. Cavitron works best on hard deposits, and food patients leave stuffed between their teeth, from not brushing, not flossing or at least rinsing after their meal. 3) No RDH should ever enter the operatory already gloved, it's not sanitary, or masked that's rude. Unless she had a cold or was sick. 4) After taking the picture of the effected area, she should have called in the Dr. to go over the findings BEFORE you left the chair. Especially if she was " freaked out".

3mm is shorter then a piece of rice, so I'm wondering if you're stating your measurment correctly. It's not clear weather the 3mm red area or you entire gum line is what's causing your discomfort. If you felt this way about the clinition you should have talked to her woman to woman before you left the chair. Don't be a whimp and go out and involve everyone else who had nothing to do with the treatment. Put on your big girl panties and discuss the issue with the person who caused them. Lastly, loose teeth are only normal if your in kindergarten through 5th grade. After that it's called Periodontal disease.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

FYI:  You are incorrect in your assumptions AND  you are rather rude. I did, in fact, write to the dentist, on his site, a few days after the cleaning.  He called me, immediately.  We spoke, at length.  I then went and saw my oral surgeon to get his opinion, which I value.  I saw him, again, four weeks after the first visit. I then updated my dentist.  I am polling the forum, here, to see if anyone else has had a bad experience with an ultrasonic cleaning.  That is a wise thing to do, your unpleasant comments notwithstanding.  I am thinking that ultrasonic cleaners have no business being in the hands of hygienists who have not had months of practice, on plastic/composite models.  

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8

First, you should have brought up the issue immediately to the dentist.

Not having done that, did you go back and talk to the dentist ten days later as instructed by the hygienist?

Since you didn't mention that you had; I am going to assume you hadn't.

Now, it has been two months and rather than complaining to her supervisor (the dentist), you are polling a discussion board.

I bet they will now try to blame what has occurred on everything but their recklessness; however, I would stll contact the dentist and recount what happened 8 weeks ago and see if he/she can give you any satisfaction.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

Did you talk to your dentist about the hygienist being distracted, and a little "rough" with your mouth?

My dentist has several hygienists, and I felt that one of them was a little rough with my mouth, although it wasn't that serious. So the next time I scheduled a cleaning, I asked to have the other hygienist do it. Now they automatically schedule me with the woman I requested.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

New Dental Hygienist Did Some Damage To My Mouth With An Ultrasonic Cleaner.

Message 8 of 8

I recently had my teeth cleaned at a practice where I had previously had a good experience.  This last time, however, was a very bad experience.  The hygienist, whom I later found out was in her second week of employment, came into the open work area already wearing her mask and gloves.  To date, I could not identify her if she walked right by me.  She examined my mouth and asked me about my receding gums. I told her I was a vigorous flosser, perhaps a bit too rigorous.  She also asked me about a molar that seemed, to her, a little loose.  She then proceeded to do the teeth cleaning.  Trouble was, she looked at every single person who passed by, all the time keeping the ultrasonic cleaner going in my mouth!  When she was done, she seemed a bit panicked. She asked me if I had recently bit down on a chip, and if I had experienced any pain in my upper back gum area.  She then took a picture of the area and showed it to me on the computer:  There was a bright red streak, under the surface, about three millimeters long.  She told me I should come back in, in ten days, if it didn't go away.  She was freaking out.  She made me very nervous.  Now, why hadn't she asked me about the streak prior to working on me?  My mouth was wide open, the bright light was on it.  She could easily have seen the streak, IF IT HAD BEEN THERE.  Obviously, to me, she had caused sub-surface capillaries to burst by shooting tender gum tissue with the ultrasonic cleaner, as she wasn't paying attention to where she was aiming it, with her constant looking away!  Almost two months later, the streak is still there, although it's about half the size it was, at the dentist.  So, my reason for posting this:  Have any of you experienced a similar occurence?  My gums are still sore, and I know this gal caused the pain.  I will now ask for an "old fashioned" cleaning with just the scalers and curettes.  No more ultrasonic cleaner in my mouth, ever again!  

Kudos
Views
Replies