AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Trusted Social Butterfly

Re: Muscle And Aging: How To Prevent Muscle Loss And Why You Should Care

Message 11 of 16

"...I have noticed that not many Men or Women in my age go to Planet Fitness

Remember everyone falls and having your body well exercised and stretched make a big difference..".

I've been working out in a local gym for 25 years, since it opened. Overall, anecdotally, it looks like we have a pretty even count for the sexes. But, when it comes to classes, I have been either the only male, or one of 2-3 (3 has been the highest number of males in a class). The guys weight lift, but do very little in the way of aerobics using treadmills, bikes, or steppers, and definitely don't do classes such as step or pilates. There is a popular Zumba class (not for me), and one older guy in it. 

I've asked. The guys just want to beef up muscles, but don't care that they would be out of breath running a block.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 16

roberts258723 wrote:

Hello

I am 61 and I exercise seven days a week

I walk five miles a day and go to Planet Fitness Health Club

Planet Fitness is a good deal 

The cost is ten dollars a month, 

I have been going for six months and my muscles are growing and getting stronger.

I have noticed that not many Men or Women in my age go to Planet Fitness

Remember everyone falls and having your body well exercised and stretched make a big difference

Hello @roberts258723 and a hearty welcome to the online community!

Good on you for working out daily! That should reward you nicely with greater mobility and health as you enjoy this phase of life. 

Ten bucks a month is a good price for a gym membership. I have a friend who pays many times that for his fancy schmancy gym membership. Smiley Happy 

I'm a little surprised to learn that there aren't older folks working out at your local gym. Hubby and I do resistance training at home, so don't know what's going on in our local gyms, but when we walk or bike ride bike, something like 70% of the people we see exercising are sporting gray hair. And we're all going harder than the younger people that are out. So like I say it interests me that this is not also going on in the gyms.

I wonder if you have ideas on how to inspire more older people to take up weight and resistance training.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Gold Conversationalist

Message 13 of 16

Hello

I am 61 and I exercise seven days a week

I walk five miles a day and go to Planet Fitness Health Club

Planet Fitness is a good deal 

The cost is ten dollars a month, 

I have been going for six months and my muscles are growing and getting stronger.

I have noticed that not many Men or Women in my age go to Planet Fitness

Remember everyone falls and having your body well exercised and stretched make a big difference

Message 14 of 16

I know some of you are dedicated to retaining muscle through weight lifting and other means. Can you share your process or successes? Help us see why we should start doing resistance training.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving

Message 15 of 16

Also from the HuffPo piece:

Here are the techniques research has proven most productive for building and maintaining muscle mass as we age.

Protein

Why Whey: rapid absorption, more leucine (an important trigger of muscle protein synthesis) and greater gains in muscle mass than other protein sources

Dose: As you get older you need more protein to stimulate muscle maintenance and growth.

In a 75 kilogram (165 pound) individual, about 60grams of protein daily. (.8g/kg)

Timing: As you age there is a greater need to distribute the protein equally across 3 daily meals. Therefore, 20 grams of protein 3 times per day would be ideal. Exercise should be in close proximity to one or more of these feedings.

Muscle And Aging: How To Prevent Muscle Loss And Why You Should Care

Message 16 of 16

Are you musclebound or intelligent? Or can you be both?

Until recently, muscle has been the stepchild of organs. Seen as an unsophisticated apparatus for locomotion and nothing more, it was undervalued. Research now documents the centrality of muscle function for a wide variety of processes essential to healthy aging.

A variety of social forces extradited muscle from respectable mainstream health. Muscularity once suggested physical labor and therefore a lower class station. More recently body builders hijacked the mesomorphic, minting steroid-fueled Rodin caricatures that were anything but a model of health.

Muscle also has been perceived as anti-intellectual. In the organ kingdom, it is the antithesis of the exalted brain, as in brain or brawn. It is our brain that distinguishes us from the great apes. Even within the muscle category one finds a hierarchy. Cardiac muscle appeared to carry none of skeletal muscle’s stigma. Academics might have jogged, meatheads pumped iron.

As we seem to learn over and over again, the body is not like a car. It cannot be taken apart and understood. Organs are orchestra members constantly signaling each other in order to create the symphony we call health.

Let’s take three of the most common health problems associated with aging; decreased insulin sensitivity and type 2 diabetes, weakened bones, fractures and osteoporosis, and forgetfulness, cognitive decline and dementia. One might not think muscle has anything to do with these conditions. You would be wrong.

From the Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/muscle-and-aging-how-to-prevent-muscle-loss-and-why_us_589b7f96e...