Test Your Knowledge About Long-Term Care with AARP’s Long-Term Care Quiz

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Muscle And Aging: How To Prevent Muscle Loss And Why You Should Care

[ Edited ]
Message 1 of 16 (174 Views)

roberts258723 wrote:

I am in a weekly walking group that walks 2 1/2 miles every saturday, By Lake Michigan i  Chicago

The walking group consists primarily of women, I am the only  man that walks regulary

Hint, hint, all you Chi-town peeps that want to meet others! Get thee to a walking club! Smiley Happy

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving

Message 2 of 16 (176 Views)

@roberts258723  Good information. Thanks for posting it! 

The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical. - Julius Erving
Conversationalist

[ Edited ]
Message 3 of 16 (184 Views)

You can workout in your home on a regular basis

Do stretches

Try to touch your toes

Sit in a chair and bend over and touch your ankles

Lift a book regulary

Hold a book in your hand and raise it above your head

Lift your arms abpve your head

Pick up a Broom or a Mop and hold it horizontally and push it away from your chest and move it back again

Do a search on the internet on how to do low impact exercises

If you don't have Internet Service in your home, Go to the Public Library and get a library card and you get free internet access

Always stretch before amd after your exercises

Conversationalist

Message 4 of 16 (189 Views)

I am in a weekly walking group that walks 2 1/2 miles every saturday, By Lake Michigan i  Chicago

The walking group consists primarily of women, I am the only  man that walks regulary

Message 5 of 16 (339 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

"....Question: what keeps you motivated to workout?...".

We simply want to be able to do those 3000-foot climbs as long as we can. We never were athletes, no competing as you do. Just want to continue peak-bagging as long as possible. That's pure motivation --- don't need a fitbit or it's ilk. We're 67 and 65 respectively, and want to continue lacing up the hiking boots and putting on the day packs as long as possible. There are some trails we do no longer as they've become too arduous. 

So it could be said that you two workout now as investment in your future.

Same here. We're using the competitions as impetus to workout when we'd rather laze around. (Like today: cold, low clouds, about to rain. We'd planned a 70 mile ride, but instead will be putting in an hour on the minitramp and lifting weights here.) Every sweaty workout, we think, takes us closer to the healthy retirement of our dreams. 

Trusted Social Butterfly

[ Edited ]
Message 6 of 16 (357 Views)

"....Question: what keeps you motivated to workout?...".

Oh. You know the answer. Hiking! As we've discussed in the past, DW and I do at least one trip a year doing mountain hiking in a national park, another for biking/hiking/walking, and various trips that involve a lot of walking such as urban trips to DC or NYC, and my annual hiking trip to UK.

We simply want to be able to do those 3000-foot climbs as long as we can. We never were athletes, no competing as you do. Just want to continue peak-bagging as long as possible. That's pure motivation --- don't need a fitbit or it's ilk. We're 67 and 65 respectively, and want to continue lacing up the hiking boots and putting on the day packs as long as possible. There are some trails we do no longer as they've become too arduous. 

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 7 of 16 (364 Views)

@retiredtraveler @roberts258723 Question: what keeps you motivated to workout?

Message 8 of 16 (394 Views)

I asked because DH does a mean mini-trampoline routine at home, but I cannot see him stepping on one inside a gym.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 9 of 16 (407 Views)

Do you think cardio as an image problem amongst men? What do you think? Do we need to come up with a more macho cardio class? 

I don't know how more macho our cardio class can be. The woman that leads it organizeds a for-charity, triathalon every year. She's is petite, and can outrun, outjump, and out lift a lot of guys in that place, and the guys know it too. She has 3 kids, was leading this class until 2 weeks before she had the last kid, and was back 4 weeks later, still kicking everyone's butts.

Actually, several guys joke they're 'afraid' of her. They know they wouldn't last 15 minutes in her class. She does a mix of step and karate moves, fast as heck, high impact as much as you like.

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.

Message 10 of 16 (445 Views)

retiredtraveler wrote:

when it comes to classes, I have been either the only male, or one of 2-3 (3 has been the highest number of males in a class). The guys weight lift, but do very little in the way of aerobics using treadmills, bikes, or steppers, and definitely don't do classes such as step or pilates. 

I've asked. The guys just want to beef up muscles, but don't care that they would be out of breath running a block.

@retiredtraveler That's a good point. We need both cardio and strength.

Do you think cardio as an image problem amongst men? What do you think? Do we need to come up with a more macho cardio class?