Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Unconditional Health coverage for the mentally should be demandedThe mentally ill can now legally ow

Message 1 of 8

I worked in the mental health department for my state in several compacities for years. I worked in transitional group homes to train my clients how to live independently. We had to lock up the medications and knives. 

In the mid ninties our funds were cut drastically and we had to close down many group homes. There was absolutely no considertaion as to whether these dear people could in fact make it on their own. 

I lost several clients to death because they could not make it alone and it was heart wrenching . I am a philanthropist at heart and enjoy helping others succeed against all odds so please do not take offense to my next statement.

Mind you I had to keep knives, medications and any self harm items under lock and key, but now the mentally ill can now legally purchase fire arms and will loose thieri health care benefits aka meds. Now that is crazy !!!!!

Please write your senators to VOTE NO and come up with a decent health plan for all!

VOTE NO

Thanks

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Make a Difference: Be a Mental Health First Aider

Message 2 of 8

@Clarlee2 Thanks.

We haven't yet fit this class into our schedule due to short days and icy roads, however expect to take the training this spring. There are quite a few local instructors, so I'm confident we'll find a great class in the coming weeks.

You are so right: there are many people suffering mental distress these days and having skilled first reponders available will better serve us all.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

Being fairly new to taking an active part in the site's offerings,  I find searching for topics which are of interest rewarding.

Information re: mental health regardless of focus is so badly needed.  Many, many persons are tragically ignorant as well as fearful of this health problem.  And, mental health is a threat to any of us.

How we may educate ourselves is more available than generally perceived. 

Let us consider resurrecting this post containing    places we may find helpful ways to help others which has been so freely shared by Epester.

Many thanks and appreciation!

Charlee6

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

@n701628b wrote:

mental illness is more prevalent than we think.  it is necessary to know how to identify and methods of assisting those who are ill, whether it be a friend, family member, or coworker.  i would like to sign up for the courses as well.  There can never be too much information on mental illness and treatments.

Amen!

May your heart of service bring you great abundance.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

mental illness is more prevalent than we think.  it is necessary to know how to identify and methods of assisting those who are ill, whether it be a friend, family member, or coworker.  i would like to sign up for the courses as well.  There can never be too much information on mental illness and treatments.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Trying to make mental health first aid as familiar as CPR

Message 6 of 8

And here's a year old Washington Post article on the Mental Health First Aider initiative:

Trying to make mental health first aid as familiar as CPR

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/01/04/trying-to-make-mental-health-first-a...

An excerpt:

If someone suddenly collapsed and appeared to be having a heart attack, you wouldn't just walk on by, right? You'd at least call 911. You'd likely stay with the person while the ambulance was coming. And if you were trained, you might even start CPR. Chances are that human decency would motivate you to do something.

So why is it that when we see obvious signs of mental or emotional crisis in a friend, colleague or even a casual acquaintance, our first reaction is to withdraw? We typically consider behavioral health issues too personal for our intervention, out of bounds for anyone but a family member or a very close friend.

That pretty much defines the challenge facing the National Council for Behavioral Health, which is scheduled to announce Monday that it will train another 500,000 people in its Mental Health First Aid course. The goal of the eight-hour session is to help people recognize when someone is suffering from a mental health or substance abuse disorder and to encourage intervention.

Keep reading: 

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2016/01/04/trying-to-make-mental-health-first-a...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

Here's background (from their web site) for this initiative:

Mental Health First Aid history screenshot.png

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Make a Difference: Be a Mental Health First Aider

Message 8 of 8

Make a Difference: Be a Mental Health First Aider

That headline in a local magazine caught my eye this afternoon. The article is talking about an 8-hour training course to become a mental health first aider. Three paragraphs onto the piece, and DH and I have pulled up the website and are looking for a convenient course. In some ways we may be halfway trained already, as mental illness runs in both sides of our family. DH’s next oldest sister was bi-polar. My next oldest sister is paranoid schizophrenic. We both have family members who committed suicide. But you certainly don’t need to have grown up dealing with the isms of mental health within your home in order to want to help people who are suffering.

Mental Health First Aid why; take_teach course screenshot.pngScreenshot from Mentalhealthfirstaid.org

The web site below can help you identify instructors and courses in your area.

Mental Health First Aid http://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/cs/

Here’s some text I pulled from the site:

Mental Health First Aid is an 8-hour course that gives people the skills to help someone who is developing a mental health problem or experiencing a mental health crisis. The evidence behind the program demonstrates that it does build mental health literacy, helping the public identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illness.

Mental Health First Aid takes the fear and hesitation out of starting conversations about mental health and substance use problems by improving understanding and providing an action plan that teaches people to safely and responsibly identify and address a potential mental illness or substance use disorder.

When more people are equipped with the tools they need to start a dialogue, more people can get to the help they may need. Mental Health First Aiders can even save lives.

Course Types

Course Types.pngConsider getting trained as a Mental Health First Aider.

Frequently Asked Questions: http://www.mentalhealthfirstaid.org/cs/faq/

Kudos
Views
Replies