Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Living To Be 104! Beloved children’s author Beverly Cleary dies at 104 😱

Anonymous
Not applicable

Living To Be 104! Beloved children’s author Beverly Cleary dies at 104 😱

💥Discussion created on March 28, 2021💥

I wonder what her secret was???? Imagine living that long!!! Anyone has any tips for us?

Social Butterfly

@Anonymous , Great question!  My top 10:  Eat Healthfully;  Exercise Regularly ( cadio, weight train, stretch, balance training. );   Sleep Well ( get up and go to sleep at consistent times;   Socialize Often;   Practice Gratitude;  Manage Stress;   Challenge Your Mind;  Practice Your Faith ;  Volunteer ;  Stay Hydrated; Have Purpose, Passion, People to love and a Place to belong.

Bronze Conversationalist

Great list @Rhymesometimes . While I'm pretty sure I don't want to live to be 104, I do think all of your items make for a pretty satisfying life. I'd add :

• laugh liberally
  • indulge in silliness when it delights the soul
  • appreciate Nature
  • exercise curiosity
  • use alternative, complementary, and energy medicine before pharmaceuticals  
Social Butterfly

@DeahWA , Another thing I do is put on music while I'm cleaning the house and dance like no one is watch.  Well, except my husband, who knows I like being  silly, playful and cheesy.   

Bronze Conversationalist

I would do that, but it might distress the Molly Maids. LOL

Community Manager
Community Manager

I was a big Ramona Quimby fan as a child and was astonished to hear Beverly Cleary lived to 104. It's quite a feat! Check out 50 Ways to Live a Longer, Healthier Life. Are you doing anything from that list already?

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA , Just read 50 way to live a longer, healthier life. Excellent! I've even incorporated the full fat milk and yogurt and try to have those 100% grass fed versions. The very top of the yogurt container taste like true cream.  Delicious!

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥March 29, 2021💥

Hi @AARPRachelA , lol, I doubt it!!! I will take a look at it probably tomorrow. Had a tooth extracted at 2pm and wanted to thank you for info before I crawl into bed.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

💥March 29, 2021💥

@AARPRachelA I am already doing number 2, cut back on pain pills. What about you? Are you already doing anything from the list?

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

That's great! I do a lot of stuff on that list, but I'd say the thing I'm most consistent with is getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep every night 😴 I need my zzz's!

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA , Sleep or "Cranky Christine" appears. 😃

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥March 30, 2021💥

@AARPRachelA what are your secrets for getting sleep? Between my upstairs neighbors from hell and worrying too much, lol, healthy sleep - hmmmm, ....

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

@Anonymous I can relate re the upstairs neighbors from hell. Ugh. I can even hear one of them snoring in the living room! Ear plugs are my essential nightime wardrobe. Also, what with life long insomnia, Melatonin helps tremendously.  And I do what @AARPRachelA says about winding down, turning lights off a couple hours before bedtime altho I avoid all liquids after about 7 or 8 pm.

Anonymous
Not applicable

💥May 3, 2021💥

Lol @DeahWA I need to hear when someone tries to break into my 2006 Hyundai Elantra that has NO alarm.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

Oh yeah, @Anonymous that would be super important! I can't even seem my car from my condo, so when an alarm goes off I have no idea if it's mine. I'm not really even sure my car HAS an alarm. LOL All I know is it has pollen encrusted in all the grooves.

Community Manager
Community Manager

@Anonymous I like to start winding down around 9-10pm. I drink tea (sleepy time chamomile with vanilla and peppermint), and I try to read most nights. I also try to disconnect from my phone/tv/laptop around 8-9pm. Once I turn the lights out and settle in, if I find my mind wandering about, I focus on my breath and count from 1-10 on the inhales/exhales until I fall asleep.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP