Technology has the power to transform caregiving. Learn about caregiving's new wave.
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Ketogenic Diet

Message 21 of 25

Even websites promoting the ketogenic diet warn that it may not be good for everyone, or for long-term use. To me, any diet that can't be followed for the rest of your life is suspect, and primarily for a quick-fix for weight loss. I like Whole30/paleo better, because they say that "vegetables are mandatory, but fruit is optional" .. so you might reduce fruit w/o eliminating it. It also eliminates dairy as unnecessary & not easily digestible for a lot of people, so I can't see eating cheese .. much as I love it!

I should look up a list of fruit for their sugar/starch content; I probably eat too many bananas! Smiley Sad

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 25

I do eat some fruit now that I have reached my weight goal.  My goal now is to maintain my weight for life.  When I eat fruit, I mostly stick to berries, as they are the lowest carb, but in the summer I can't resist watermelon, which is my very favorite.  Last summer I did eat watermelon a few times, and it didn't affect my weight. I also occasionally eat canteloupe in the summer.

I eat butter and full fat cottage cheese, greek yogurt and sour cream.  However, I don't use milk at all because of some lactose intolerance.  I use almond milk for my morning protein drink.  I use full fat half and half in my coffee.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 25

Do you eat fruit .. which ones?

After reading about Whole30, I can't see adding high-fat dairy to my diet.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 25

I have been on a low-carb, high-fat (ketogenic) diet since last February.  I have lost 50 pounds, my blood work at my physical in September was perfect, and I feel great.  I am a big advocate of reducing carbs--it can even cure diabetes, since diabetes is excess insulin, which is released in response to eating carbs.  I pretty much follow the Atkins plan, and I did the 2-week strict induction period, and then have adjusted the diet since then, as outlined in Dr. Atkins book, to fit my needs and life style (e.g., I was never much of a drinker, so I haven't added alcohol, and I am a bread addict, so I have completely eliminated bread).  It has certainly worked for me.  One big advantage of ketosis is that your appetite is very suppressed.  I very seldom feel hungry, so it is easy to keep to the eating plan.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Ketogenic Diet

Message 25 of 25

Does anyone have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE being on a ketogenic diet? If you have, and/or if you've read a book about it that you'd recommend, please mention that too.

PLEASE speak from your own experience, and only recommend books you've read. We can all Google for what's on the internet ourselves, for more information.

Kudos
Views
Replies