Tell Congress to Oppose Any Tax Bill That Would Increase Taxes for Seniors! Take Action Now

Conversationalist

Re: Ketogenic Diet

Message 11 of 21 (199 Views)

I lost 50 pounds in 6 months on Atkins (a ketogenic diet) as a 73-year old woman and have maintained the loss and the diet for over two years now.  I had lost (and gained again) weight on Weight Watchers several times, but was always hungry.  On the keto diet, I have never been hungry.  The one disadvantage, if you have a busy lifestyle, is that there are so few already-prepared meals (I think Atkins is the only one and I don't really care for many of their entrees).  Since I am retired and I enjoy cooking, this doesn't bother me.  Since I am maintaining, I don't have to be as strict as when losing, and I occasionally eat a little higher-carb when eating out, but I still don't eat bread--which is a trigger food for me, or traditional desserts.  I read lots of books when I first started, but don't remember the names offhand.  The low-carb forum on line has lots of information, including recommended books.

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 12 of 21 (205 Views)

ASTRAEA wrote:

Does anyone have PERSONAL EXPERIENCE being on a ketogenic diet? If you have, and/or if you've read a book about it that you'd recommend, please mention that too.

PLEASE speak from your own experience, and only recommend books you've read. We can all Google for what's on the internet ourselves, for more information.

Did you ever decide to try this?  If so, what were your results?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Info Seeker

[ Edited ]
Message 13 of 21 (436 Views)

I must admit that for me, the process was rather complex, as I struggled a lot with the concept of it due to my vegetarianism. However, in the past few years I have been swiftly gaining and losing weight, it was bizarrely obvious on my belly, so I decided to dive into the Keto. It indeed was a challenge to put up a diet plan, it took me several months, but now I have a plan that I am repeating on a bi-weekly basis. My focus is on schrimp, avocado, mushroom and veggies when it comes to diet, and when it comes to issues with it I was reading on benefits on mental health mostly. In the end, it all comes back to your OWN body and mind, so that's the first thing you should read before diving to it. Talking to your doctor is always a good idea, as there's a misconception that a ketogenic diet is exclusively for athletes, fitness enthusiasts, bodybuilders, etc. But what helps me a lot is to keep track of my keto nutrition with keto calculator. It's a nice hack!

Highlighted
Conversationalist

Message 14 of 21 (908 Views)

That's great.  One can never have too much information about their health.  I think too many people just listen to the popular press and TV and grab the advice of the day without thinking too much about it.  I always like to read articles and books about the science of nutrition and why certain things work the way they do.

I am almost 75 and have fought overweight for all of my life.  This last year on LCHF has really transformed me so that I don't feel hunger and so I'm not tempted to 'cheat'.  And I love the food I eat, even though LC does require some cooking, as there aren't many prepared foods that fit the program.  I lost weight over the years with Weight Watchers, and even became a lifetime member, but I was always hungry!!

Message 15 of 21 (915 Views)

Amazing timing; this afternoon I got an e-mail from my functional medicine doctor, that she's having a program about the ketogenic diet next week, so I signed up for it .. it can't hurt to listen!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Conversationalist

Message 16 of 21 (914 Views)

I think the low-carb, high-fat way of eating is perfect for the rest of my life.  And even the Atkins most strict induction phase requires vegetables--all except root veggies, which are higher carb.  And fruit is not allowed at the beginning because of the sugar content, but can be added later if it doesn't stall weight loss.  I'm not looking to lose any more weight-my doctor agrees that I should not  lose any more, but I'm continuing to eat low carb because I think it is extremely healthy to cut out as many carbs as possible from the diet.  Carbs stimulate insulin production, which is not good for overall health, at least according to my research and experience.  I'm not too familiar with paleo, except I think it eliminates dairy, and allows more high carb veggies.  Otherwise, I don't think it's much different from basic LCHF.  I do enjoy cheese, but I don't overdo it--try to limit to 2 oz. per day or so.

Of course, the goal of all this is to be healthy, not just to lose weight.  Reaching that goal is a very individual thing.  A person has to find what works for him/her and make it work for life.

Message 17 of 21 (910 Views)

Even websites promoting the ketogenic diet warn that it may not be good for everyone, or for long-term use. To me, any diet that can't be followed for the rest of your life is suspect, and primarily for a quick-fix for weight loss. I like Whole30/paleo better, because they say that "vegetables are mandatory, but fruit is optional" .. so you might reduce fruit w/o eliminating it. It also eliminates dairy as unnecessary & not easily digestible for a lot of people, so I can't see eating cheese .. much as I love it!

I should look up a list of fruit for their sugar/starch content; I probably eat too many bananas! Smiley Sad

Conversationalist

Message 18 of 21 (914 Views)

I do eat some fruit now that I have reached my weight goal.  My goal now is to maintain my weight for life.  When I eat fruit, I mostly stick to berries, as they are the lowest carb, but in the summer I can't resist watermelon, which is my very favorite.  Last summer I did eat watermelon a few times, and it didn't affect my weight. I also occasionally eat canteloupe in the summer.

I eat butter and full fat cottage cheese, greek yogurt and sour cream.  However, I don't use milk at all because of some lactose intolerance.  I use almond milk for my morning protein drink.  I use full fat half and half in my coffee.

Message 19 of 21 (921 Views)

Do you eat fruit .. which ones?

After reading about Whole30, I can't see adding high-fat dairy to my diet.

Conversationalist

Message 20 of 21 (918 Views)

I have been on a low-carb, high-fat (ketogenic) diet since last February.  I have lost 50 pounds, my blood work at my physical in September was perfect, and I feel great.  I am a big advocate of reducing carbs--it can even cure diabetes, since diabetes is excess insulin, which is released in response to eating carbs.  I pretty much follow the Atkins plan, and I did the 2-week strict induction period, and then have adjusted the diet since then, as outlined in Dr. Atkins book, to fit my needs and life style (e.g., I was never much of a drinker, so I haven't added alcohol, and I am a bread addict, so I have completely eliminated bread).  It has certainly worked for me.  One big advantage of ketosis is that your appetite is very suppressed.  I very seldom feel hungry, so it is easy to keep to the eating plan.