Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: It Takes 6 Months To Lose Holiday Weight

Message 11 of 16

@ASTRAEA wrote:

@Epster - It's actually easier to develop & stick with healthy habits, than to backslide & have to rebuild those good habits every time you "fall off the wagon". It probably totally throw your body's systems out-of-whack too.

@ASTRAEA  Indeed. 

For us, working out and eating well, both long-standing habits (outside of with my 3 years of fitness hades due to repeated injury), have taken on renewed importance. We are each the youngest children in our families, and are now seeing our sibs pay heavy prices for their lifestyle choices. Diabetes, pancreatic cancer, kidney failure, breast cancer, lung cancer: these diseases are well on their way to making us elder orphans. Smiley Sad

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 16

@Epster - It's actually easier to develop & stick with healthy habits, than to backslide & have to rebuild those good habits every time you "fall off the wagon". It probably totally throw your body's systems out-of-whack too.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 16

@ASTRAEA You get no argument from me. In fact ... here, take the microphone. Smiley Happy

We just saw a guy on the bike trail whom we hadn't seen in over a year because he didn't want to ride as fast or as far as we do. (Which is, of course, fine.) He's gained probably 30 pounds. And guess what? He confessed he hasn't been riding, doesn't work out, doesn't eat right, that his diabetes is raging and ... he wants all that to end.

Well, OK then: eat right consistently, work out regularly and you will eventually get those results you want. And yes, I agree: if is far easier to keep the weight off than it is to take it off. Much better discipline.

Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 16

Wouldn't it be easier - and it's my philosophy - NOT to put on more than a couple of lbs extra weight in the first place?

For me, it's smarter to stick to a healthy eating regime thru the holidays, even if it means telling hosts ahead of time about my "restrictions", and suggesting I'll bring a dish to share .. if only so there's at least one healthy option for me. I remember the guilt my Mom would lay on me, if I declined something she made that I didn't feel was healthy (after I'd told her ahead of time I could no longer eat it) .. and I refuse to buy into that anymore with other family members or friends who invite me for a meal. I also don't believe in "cheat days", because it's just not worth it & frankly seems hypocritical if you truly believe something isn't healthy. And this time of year, too many people designate too many holiday visits as "cheat days"; no wonder it takes them 6 months to lose what they gain!

(sorry for the rant; I just feel strongly about this)

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 16

Another story snippet:

The best exercise is the one you do regularly

There are a lot of opinions on what the “best” form of exercise is. It’s true that most people can’t lose weight doing just cardio, and that strength training can increase your baseline metabolism. But it’s also true that people who hate lifting weights will never stick with it long enough to see the results, and those who loathe the elliptical will inevitably give up.

Find a workout that you like enough to stick to—and then stick to it. If that’s high-intensity interval training, great. Studies show it offers a lot of the benefits of cardio with less time commitment. If it’s biking or running or swimming or lifting or rowing—it’s all great. Just do it regularly. That’s how you develop a habit: you find a way to keep doing the thing until the thing is so ingrained that it’s not an effort. Show up to the gym for 10 minutes if you have to. Even if you don’t break a sweat, eventually the showing up part will be easy. Soon you’ll find being there for 30 minutes is no problem, and where before you were hardly cracking a half-mile you’re suddenly most of the way to a 5K.

Habits are powerful. Use them to your advantage—and eat your pie, too.

PS DH and I have been having tiny slices of pumpkin pie all week. And we've been exercising extra because of it, too. Smiley Happy And we have not gained an ounce. Moderation works!

Best wishes to anyone looking to improve their health through an exercise program!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

It Takes 6 Months To Lose Holiday Weight

Message 16 of 16

Well here's a pair of inconvenient truths:

It takes six months to lose all your holiday weight. 

All dieting is yo-yo dieting.

Selected story snippets:

While we’re gaining weight, it feels like it will be easy to lose it. Future you will be able to handle it, surely. Except here’s the truth: future you won’t lose that weight for at least six months (and don’t call me Shirley). You likely won’t get back to your lowest weight until fall of the following year, at which point you’ll proceed to gain it all back again.

weight loss.jpgYes, you can!And listen, this is not a pitch against eating. The decadent embrace of turkey and gravy, especially around the family dinner table, is possibly the greatest joy we have on this earth. But this is a pitch for mindful eating and intelligent exercise—because that’s how you’ll break the annual cycle.

For most people, the weight gain starts now, in mid November. This is common sense, but it's also backed up by data. A 2016 New England Journal of Medicine studytracked 1,781 Americans using their internet-connected scales, following them for a full year to see how much they gained and lost. A typical person's ramp-up begins now, according to the study's findings, with a small spike as the calories from Thanksgiving hit our bodies. On average, we’re up by about 0.1 percent. We tend to stay at about that same weight for the beginning of December, and then it all skyrockets in the last few weeks of the year. As you might expect, we peak at the New Year.

From there, it’s pretty much one slow downhill slog for the next five-ish months. The average person can lose about half the weight they gained in the first month or so, but the path back to baseline will last you until about May. You won’t consistently get under baseline until June, and you’ll finally bottom out at your lowest weight at the end of October. And repeat.

Read the entire article to learn how to break the cycle: https://www.popsci.com/how-to-not-gain-holiday-weight-diet#page-4

Kudos
Views
Replies