Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

Immune System Boosting Foods

rsz_1berry_smoothies.jpgYour immune system stands guard against an army of germs that make you sick; fending off these attack-ready viruses and bacteria is its primary job. Exercise; sufficient sleep; minimal stress; a healthy weight; low alcohol intake; and plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains and healthy fats make up a package that helps strengthen your immune system and provides it with the means to keep you healthy.

Smoothies are one of my favorite ways to get nutrients that help my immune system do its job. I freeze blueberries and strawberries that I got in the summer and make smoothies with them in the winter.

What foods or dishes do you enjoy that also boost your immune system?

Regular Contributor

In warmer weather I start the day with smoothies of blueberries(or strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, etc) mixed with chopped avocado, sometimes adding plain Greek yogurt along with low sugar protein likeEnsure Max.

In cold weather I like hot oatmeal mixed with berries or pomegranate seeds, and  walnuts, sometimes adding flax seeds or natural peanut butter.

Social Butterfly

Will Frosted Flakes strengthen my immune system?  After all, they are a grain, or is corn not even a grain?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  Smoothies are a great way to pack tons of good things for your body.  My husband and I have home-made smoothies multiple times a week. Here are some of the ingredients in our typical smoothies:

Greek yogurt

milk or milk sub.

Greens ( usually kale, broccoli and/or spinach ) 

fruit ( blueberries, blackberries, strawberries and/or cherries )

always a banana and avocado.

chia, sunflower and pumpkin seeds

oatmeal

Protein powder

( I use Natures Sunshine's Love and Peas sugar free )

A few drops of peppermint ( also Nature's Sunshine brand )

Changing the fruit options, makes for a good variety.

I use a Vitamix blender, and can make three standard

glass size smoothies. Would consume within three days.

Periodic Contributor

I am new to smoothies, can you share the amounts of each you add? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Bronze Conversationalist

I like the chicken soup, too-and blueberries ! My sister makes a concoction containing hot peppers, onion, garlic, apple cider vinegar & an assortment of other stuff to drink. Only a couple tablespoons a day, (of course)! Supposed to boost immune system, help prevent colds,etc. Anyone else do this, or have their own recipes ? Let's hear it !

Sandee2

blueberries, chicken soup

Community Manager
Community Manager

Mmm chicken soup! ๐Ÿฒ While I don't love the cold, I do love soup season.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP