Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: I Know You Love Me Now Let Me Die

Message 1 of 4

@twodrivers wrote:

This is a beautiful picture of life ending. However , this is from a time when families lived together and you didn’t have to pay a house cleaner, aides, a nurse to supervise after a doctor gave orders. Actually, your doctor would have been AT your house to check you! I cared for my husband at home because I had promised to never send him “ away”. I spent much of our savings and injured my own health keeping that promise. Hospice are great people but, if any one is there to help (me) they only came 2hours 3 times a week. A lot of expensive hours were left for me to take care of. I did, lost 65 pounds doing it because he wanted me to help! I wish some of the billions being spent on overpriced ( understatement) institutions were spent on practical home care...too many people are making too much money for real help to happen, i’m Afraid.

Thank you for your response. I certainly understand your fulfilling a promise to your loved one.  However not all situations are the same. I have several siblings and we all helped with the time each of our parents were at home in care. Each family needs to sit down and talk honestly about these issues.  Hospice only handles some aspects of care. There are also other services provided and the more research the better.  Thank you for bringing up some of the great difficulties. 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 4

This is a beautiful picture of life ending. However , this is from a time when families lived together and you didn’t have to pay a house cleaner, aides, a nurse to supervise after a doctor gave orders. Actually, your doctor would have been AT your house to check you! I cared for my husband at home because I had promised to never send him “ away”. I spent much of our savings and injured my own health keeping that promise. Hospice are great people but, if any one is there to help (me) they only came 2hours 3 times a week. A lot of expensive hours were left for me to take care of. I did, lost 65 pounds doing it because he wanted me to help! I wish some of the billions being spent on overpriced ( understatement) institutions were spent on practical home care...too many people are making too much money for real help to happen, i’m Afraid.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 4

We will all face our end of life decisions. Think about them and tell your family.  Don’t make them responsible for you!

Have you talked to your family and or loved ones?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

I Know You Love Me Now Let Me Die

Message 4 of 4

Nearly 50 percent of the elderly U.S. population now die in nursing homes or hospitals.

A physician laments the often-excessive care of older adults at the end of life

In the old days, she would be propped up on a comfy pillow, in fresh cleaned sheets under the corner window where she would, in days gone past, watch her children play. Soup would boil on the stove just in case she felt like a sip or two. Perhaps the radio softly played Al Jolson or Glenn Miller, flowers sat on the nightstand, and family quietly came and went.

She might have offered a hint of a smile or a soft squeeze of the hand but it was all right if she didn’t. She lost her own words to tell us that it’s OK to just let her die, but she trusted us to be her voice and we took that trust to heart.

https://www.nextavenue.org/know-love-now-let-die/

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season