Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How to kick the Sugar Addiction?

Message 1 of 20

My post was not intended to be a primer on vegetables.  My assumption was that people would research vegetables to find those lowest in carbohydrates. While your points may be valid, they make eating better way too complicated.  The point of my post was that eating any vegetable would be healthier than eating more cereal, granola bars, bread, chips, cookies, and the other things people grab because they are more fun to eat and easier to find.  Brown rice and peas is my lunch.  One head of baby romaine lettuce with tomatoes, carrots, bell peppers, cucumber and avacado is my dinner.  I add cooked boneless skinless chicken breast or cooked tofu for portein.  Eating those and eliminating most of the snacks I mentioned above improved every value there is on my lipid panel blood test.  My triglycerides dropped from 160 to 85.  My cholesterol ratio of good to total improved from 6.5 to 4.8 which is still slightly to high but is much better.  A little research and a dash of common sense goes a long way to improve what one eats.  Now you have my secret recipe.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 20
@KeithDNielsen: You're right about the added sugars, but don't forget that vegetables are carbohydrates. One should lean toward carbohydrates that are low in the Glycemic index and that includes vegetables and fruit. There are good snacks, too, such as berries, cut up vegetables dipped in humus or nut butters, etc.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 20

Read nutrition labels on all products. Chose snacks with 4 grams of sugar or less and chose all products with less or no added sugar.  Learn to eat cereals and other foods without adding sugar at the table.  Eat more vegetables and less carbohydrates to avoid snacks.  On Netflix Streaming, watch the program "Sugar Coated" for more information and tips. As often as allowed under your health care program, get lipid panel blood tests to monitor your cholesterol and triglyceride levels.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 20

@mendel4wrote:

I don't add sugar or salt to anything. I figure I eat out a lot so I get all the sugar and salt I need in the food I eat.

@mendel4 Take it from a chef: you are almost certainly getting a couple times more than all the sugar, salt and fat you need by eating out a lot. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 20

I don't add sugar or salt to anything. I figure I eat out a lot so I get all the sugar and salt I need in the food I eat.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 20

I still eat sugar, but not anywhere near what I used to! I started following the 13 hour diet and for the first 2 weeks nearly eliminated sugar (I was cranky) but I needed to drop a good 15 lbs and this seemed to make sense and was really quite easy. I have adopted it as a lifestyle and enjoy cheat days now and again. I feel better and am sleeping better as well and am almost at my goal with 12 pounds lost in 4 weeks without pain (just a little) the premise is not eating for 13 hours straight (water encouraged) so I now eat 1 hour earlier and don’t snack a after dinner by the time I wake up the next day it’s been about 12 hours or more and I just have my 2 cups of coffee and hang in there till I hit 13 hours and have breakfast. I think you should google this one I really am impressed!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 20

After learning my A1c was in the pre-diabetes range, I took steps to cut back on sugar.  I don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners, and anyway research shows that using them doesn't help because the body reacts to them very much like "real" sugar.  I started by eliminating sodas; I wasn't drinking that many anyway so it wasn't hard to reach for the water, tea or coffee instead.  Getting rid of the sugar in my coffee was hardest, but after a few weeks I found I could savor the pure coffee taste without it.  Later on I discovered that cinnamon in my coffee mimics the flavor of sugar, and I use it when I am tempted to "lapse."  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 20

I used to put sugar on things - cereal, toast, in tea, etc.  How did I stop?  I just stopped.  Period.  I have a jar of turbinado sugar in the kitchen cupboard which must be at least 8 years old.  Sugar won't spoil so I don't throw it away just in case I have a reason to use it.  So far, I haven't needed it.  I got used to plain Ceylon cinnamon on toast, on cereal, and on plain yogurt.  I stopped putting sugar in my herbal mixture that some people call "tea" and found that the taste of the herbs (ginger, turmeric, mint, etc.) are more pronounced without sugar and the drink tastes better.  I don't shy away from the sugars in fruits because fruit is healthy, but the added sugars - gone forever.  I don't miss it and didn't even miss it when I first stopped, which proved to me that it was just a habit that I didn't need.  

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 20

The sardines and other fish is OK, provided you're a fish eater.  I don't happen to be one.  It just won't go down.  I have in the past managed to get it in the mouth, but out it came.

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 20

Years before I retired from Wall Street, I use to drink 10-12 cups of black tea during working hours, maybe another 2-4 at home, if I brought work home. I complained to my Gyn that I waswas losing weight, though I was trying to diet .

He suggested I cut a 1/2 tsp of sugar from each cup, then after a week or so, another 1/2 tsp. I followed his suggestion. After 4 weeks I was down to just a 1/2 tsp total and I figured I'd try cutting that out. I started drinking just tea, preferably English or Irish Breakfast, or Lipton in a pinch. That was 40+ years ago and unless I'm drinking Hot Chai tea( it's usually sweetened with condensed milk) I use no sweetner or milk products. I dropped 10 pounds in less than a month, lost another 8 over the next 2 months,  and have been able to maintain my new weight and dress size all these years, though I just turned 70 last week and had to retire due to serious neuroligical back problems 10 years ago. 

I don't drink as much tea, as I don't need the caffeine to keep me hyped, but I still don't use sugar. Only buy for baking.. 2 pounds lasts me about 2 to 3 years! I put 1 tsp of organic honey or agave syrup in my daughter and granddaughter's herbal tea. Easier to digest and metabolize. 

Kudos
Views