Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How to kick the Sugar Addiction?

Message 11 of 20

In January I had an appointment with a new doctor who noticed I had some inflammation.  She suggested eliminating gluten, alcohol, dairy...and sugar!  After getting over the innitial shock and fear of deprivation, I went to work tyring to find a way to exist in this new world.  Everything else seemed pretty easy, except the sugar.  I don't drink sodas or sugar in coffee or tea, but giving up cookies, ice cream and other desserts has just been plain hard.  No easy way to do it as far as I can tell, and fruit just doesn't fill the void.  However, I have stuck with it and after a week or so I found I no longer had cravings for sugar.  I've also found that eating a square or two of dark chocolate occasionally doesn't bring back the cravings, and it gives me the sense that I'm not being deprived.  I'm beginning to feel much better too, which is it's own incentive.  Good luck!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 20

I have a few nutrition things I try to do every day. On sugar, I stopped drinking pop a few years ago. I never add sugar to anything. I try to have fruit everyday but I have much better success with vegetables. I try to control my carb intake but I’m still working on that! I don’t eat doughnuts or pastries ever. However, I do like a piece of candy now and then.

Yeah, I know, I could do so much better!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20

I forgot to mention the usefulness of stocking one's pantry with sardines. A tin of sardines, some carrot sticks, a few lettuce boats, some cauliflower, bell pepper, onion, olive, broccoli and mustard along with an apple is now one of DH's fave lunches. And why not? It offers great nutrition, great portion control, and is super, super cheap (Walmart house brand sardines are perfectly fine and lots cheaper than, say, Trader Joe's house brand). A sardine tin also travels well. We take them on trips. Smiley Happy

I also stock the larger tins of herring for making things like fish tacos, (smoked are lovely for this) and pasta/veggie dishes (herring fillets in mustard sauce work well for this). These are quick I'm-too-tired-to-cook kinda meals with solid nutrition. Smiley Happy

Another idea for people who do not like to cook is to have one day a week where you prep ingredients for the week (and beyond). Bake spaghetti squash (for a low carb 'pasta' and veggie with herring dish); steam veggies; make a big batch of hummus (freeze it in small containers so you only have got do this part once every 4-6 weeks); cook a pair of chicken quarter thighs in a crock pot, then make quick meals using this chicken all week. Make a huge pot of soup and freeze it in single serving containers, so you don't have to repeat this part more than once every 2-3 months.

By feeding yourself well at every meal, you can head off those nutritionally challenged snack attacks. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20

@nyadrn wrote:

@Epster wrote:

So I guess my suggestion is this: take cooking classes or watch cooking videos, but learn to prepare great tasting non-sweet foods to help ween oneself off sugar.

>>

That will work for me as long as they are two or three ingredient dishes because I do not like to cook   : (   My problem is not really meals but snacks and deserts  so I need substitues for those.  LOL

Yeah, I hear ya.

The friend I helped most recently is a single guy (well, he was single last summer, anyway) and he's in the same boat: he eats out, picks up snacks, that sort of thing. So we worked on keeping his kitchen stocked with things like apples and a good quality (not filled with added oils, sweeteners or salt) peanut butter. He now snacks on those and a also has an apple and peanut butter for dessert

instead of, as was his habit, a piece of additive-laden carrot cake from the grocery store (which also has like 800 calories: twice the caloric count of an average 'diet' meal).

He keeps carrots, cauliflower, olives, hummus and mustard on hand. Because he's impatient, doesn't peel the carrots, but washes them and makes carrot sticks that he takes with him along with the other items to make a meal on the go with (thus avoiding snacking altogether). But of course a person could use this as a ready snack.

Mandarins are a good go-with-you snack. As are raisins (though if carbs are an issue, raisins might not make your list). DH keeps siracha almonds, unsalted dry roasted peanuts, mandarins, apples and pretzels on hand. The key, of course is moderation. So instead of, say, a 3 pound container of pretzels in your desk drawer, take a small serving with you.

String cheese is another good snack. In moderation, of course.

One thing DH has used to help him change eating preferences is to keep reminding himself how vitally important it is for him to make good food choices every time. A little practice does it: now he doesn't even want the stuff that's not the best for him. Smiley Happy

Best wishes.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20

Epster wrote:

So I guess my suggestion is this: take cooking classes or watch cooking videos, but learn to prepare great tasting non-sweet foods to help ween oneself off sugar.

>>

That will work for me as long as they are two or three ingredient dishes because I do not like to cook   : (   My problem is not really meals but snacks and deserts  so I need substitues for those.  LOL

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 20

This guy has 4 steps for overcoming one's sugar addiction.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 20

I have never had a sweet tooth, (weirdo that I am I have had fewer than probably 40 sodas in my life, and will snack on unsweetened peanut butter and celery) however, I have helped friends ween themselves off sugar by introducing them to the magical world of spice. Curry, Jamaican jerk, chipotle, Harissa, Thai, Cajun, wasabi, horseradish ... the list of tantalizing and healthful spices/spicy food styles goes on and on. Smiley Happy

Learning to cook a new cuisine can help make the transition easier and fun, so I've helped friends change their eating habits by inviting them over for a meal ... that they get to help cook. Smiley Happy Also I've given classes on preparing spice blends. Knowing how to mix spices can help individualize spicy dishes. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20

One of the things that people think of to do is to replace sugar with artificial sweeteners.   I tried that and I absolutely could not tolerate using them.. (I did not try them all but because of the reaction to the ones I did try I do not use any)  

You may want to be very cautious about using these products.  At least do some research first.

Artificial sweeteners and other sugar substitutes

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/artificial-sweete...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 20

When you start thinking about how to do something in today's world, the internet is often your starting place of choice, so I looked around to see what was out there and there are hundreds of articles about how to do it. I decided to post a commonly used source for lots of things.. good old wiki.  

How to Get Through Sugar Withdrawal

Two Methods:Kicking the AddictionStepping Down the Carb LadderCommunity Q&A

The thought of "sugar withdrawal" may seem like nothing more than an excuse for people with a sweet tooth (or who simply refuse to give up sugar) to indulge in sweets-eating. But nutritionists and scientists are discovering that when the body is accustomed to high levels of sugar consumption, it can respond to sugar deprivation with the same kinds of withdrawal symptoms experienced by a drug abuser. The symptoms of sugar withdrawal can, in fact, be very painful and debilitating.[1] Understanding the symptoms and preparing to deal with sugar withdrawal can help you permanently reduce your sugar intake.

https://www.wikihow.com/Get-Through-Sugar-Withdrawal

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

How to kick the Sugar Addiction?

Message 20 of 20

Getting rid of sugar in your diet is hard for most people!  

There are tons of articles that tell you the reasons that sugar is bad.  Obviously they all tell you to cut sugar out of your diet...  but how do you do that when you are so used to eating sweets all of the time.   Well it is not going to be easy for most people.

There are all kinds of articles about the subject; some helpful and some not.  

Have you cut the sugar out of your diet?  If so.. how did you do it?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark