You could save on auto insurance when you complete the AARP Smart Driver course! Get a free phone charging set with promo code AARP6.

Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: How many steps a day should we take to be healthy?

Message 1 of 8

I’m so glad you shared that! Excellent job and way to stay focused👍🏽

Posture is the best tool out there to fight gravity!  Do not underestimate gravity!

If you are not Stacked just right with your bones sitting in their pockets properly gravity will take over. Its why we teach our clients to think from the bones out and not the mirror in.

mahalo nui

The Doctors of the future will give no medicine but interest his patients in care of the human frame, diet and the cause and prevention of disease.

Thomas Edison 

Report Inappropriate Content
Tags (3)
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 8

@normanc115967 wrote:

When this topic comes up, what’s so interesting is the focus is on the number of steps taken as opposed to the quality of steps taken. 

10,000 steps a day will not help anyone if they’re done wrong or out of position.

Hey @normanc115967  I wanted to tell you that DH and I took our usual ~5 mile walk in the local hills the other day and kept our focus on pulling in our bellybutton, rolling back and relaxing our shoulders, keeping our torsos erect rather than leaning into the incline, and our heads up.

Whew. That really took focus! But we made it. Smiley Happy

We're going to get in that walk again today and plan to keep our posture erect as detailed above. Hopefully in time this should come naturally, but right now we find it absolutely requires focus. Smiley Happy

Thanks. Smiley Happy

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 8

Thank you. @normanc115967.

For anyone wondering what the heck is isolateral training (exercises), here's a run down: http://ezinearticles.com/?Isolateral-Exercise---What-is-it-and-Why-is-it-Beneficial?-The-Answer-is-H...

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 8

My wife Deb has scoliosis and as we started entering our senior years her scoliosis had started becoming more pronounced. 

We had to create an accessment proccess that would help 

expose where these weaknesses were.

We explain how this is done in a new book that Deb and I just released this month on amazon

entitled 

“Stacking-Your Skeletal Blueprint for Posture.” 

Once we determined where the help was needed, we then could come up with a plan.  That plan turned out to be

“Iso lateral training.”

Training one limb at a time using differnt combinations of movements not only helped slow her scoliosis from getting worst it brought balance to other areas of her body.

Now her right arm is as strong as the left arm, her left leg is as strong as her right leg. The work will be something that will be a constant in her life but thats a minor thing when you know what the consequences are.

Good luck

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 8

@normanc115967 wrote:
Our Stacking process that we teach is more than just teaching you to stand straight for Posture. It’s about having enough strength and control of your frame to be able to place your bones back into their pockets, correctly, so that the tendons, ligaments and muscles can be at their correct lengths and positions while doing their jobs. We call this being in neutral. This is is where we want to be strong. We say when your strong in neutral, you are strong everywhere.
As for walking..it’s in neutral🌴🤙🏽

Keeping your head and torso from leaning forward at the waist will help immensely. To do this, concentrate on your body position at all times. It takes focus to walk and keep everything in line to move smoothly.

@normanc115967 Aha!  I think I'm getting it! Thank you!

Oddly, I suppose, I have congenital abnormalies in my skeleton, but do walk very erect, neck and back straight. I'm going to do some wall work this week to see if I can straighten up further. (5'10" here I come! Smiley Wink)

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 8
Our Stacking process that we teach is more than just teaching you to stand straight for Posture. It’s about having enough strength and control of your frame to be able to place your bones back into their pockets, correctly, so that the tendons, ligaments and muscles can be at their correct lengths and positions while doing their jobs. We call this being in neutral. This is is where we want to be strong. We say when your strong in neutral, you are strong everywhere.
As for walking..it’s in neutral🌴🤙🏽

Keeping your head and torso from leaning forward at the waist will help immensely. To do this, concentrate on your body position at all times. It takes focus to walk and keep everything in line to move smoothly.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 8

@normanc115967  Can you tell us more about what posture we should be aiming for when we are walking? Or are you thinking about the actual movement: how we move our bodies?

BTB, I suggested, just now, to the moderator that your post is actually a reply to the thread in Healthy Living about how many steps are enough.  Is that the case?

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

How many steps a day should we take to be healthy?

Message 8 of 8

When this topic comes up, what’s so interesting is the focus is on the number of steps taken as opposed to the quality of steps taken. 

10,000 steps a day will not help anyone if they’re done wrong or out of position.

How many of you have ever been to a yoga class and while holding a position 

you see someone and say to yourself, “Hey that guy shouldn’t be doing that.”

Well you would be right to think that, He shouldn’t be doing something he’s not ready for yet.

Same goes for the 10,000 steps someone is taking everyday, 365 days a year.

If they are done wrong, those steps become a time bomb instead of helping.

So the simple answer is - 

10,000 focused steps is a yes

10,000 unfocused steps is a no!

Kudos
Views
Replies