Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 181 of 192
@retiredtraveler wrote:

Unfortunately, not much to discuss. If assisted suicide were legal, then we'd have something.

If you want to read more on the movement to allow for assisted suicide, check out Compassion & Choices: https://www.compassionandchoices.org/

One thing I didn't like in the article, was the section about Dr. Emanuel, saying he wouldn't seek treatment after 75. That sounds like a comment made by someone at least 30 years ago, because I know a lot of 75 year olds who are as vital & healthy, as someone 90 years old years ago! I totally understand the idea of refusing treatment, but it has to be based on an individual's situation, not any hard and fast rules based on age or cost. That's why people are so concerned about any medical/insurance program that decides whether they're "worth the cost" to treat! 

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 182 of 192
I think there is so much more to the article, retiredtraveler, for the elderly as well as to those for whom may end up making decisions in the matter.

I already have a very stringent Healthcare Directive. Well, as stringent as the law in my state allows the choices. I want my family to really understand the autonomy issue ; I think they do but it is worth emphasizing often.

BTW, there are some states (5) that do allow a person to make the choice if terminally ill. It is called "Death With Dignity". In the news recently with the planned and carried out death of Brittany Maynard. Problem is, the way I understand it, you have to be lucid and coherent to make the decision at that time. Sometimes you might not be. Especially since incurable or gradual loss of autonomy has never been considered a terminal condition. Should it be?

Some links just FYI.
http://time.com/3551560/brittany-maynard-right-to-die-laws/

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/civilrights/understanding/Section1553/

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 183 of 192

"...After reading it, we can discuss it, if you like....".

Unfortunately, not much to discuss. If assisted suicide were legal, then we'd have something.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 184 of 192
I am posting this link here to a very thought provoking article by health care reporter, Sarah Kliff.

After reading it, we can discuss it, if you like.
Personally, I am thinking about printing it out and giving it to my family members who hold my Health care directive powers. I want them to understand the subject of this article and we will have further discussions about it.

Here is the link
VOX 01/11/2015 How Americans' refusal to talk about death hurts the elderly by Sarah Kliff
http://www.vox.com/2015/1/11/7517211/end-of-life-care

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 185 of 192

@ASTRAEA wrote:

So the longer people live, in general, the greater the probability of their genes becoming defective, which is why we're seeing more people get various forms of cancer as they age!

Didn't need to know that. j/k Smiley Wink

I know it doesn't work this way but..........

My father passed away at 62 and mother at 90. If I split the difference I have 5 years left.

I agree with what you wrote earlier....as long as I can do the things I want or need to do.....Life is Good!

Blaine

(the Voltran thing is from years ago when I did Voltranic Syndicated News & Reviews)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 186 of 192

I learned something very interesting last fall, about genes. I thought that you were born with genes, and they were either OK or not. If they weren't, you might be born with some disease, or develop it later in life. I never realized that genes could mutate or become defective, as we age! So certain genes protect us against cancer or other diseases .. but if they mutate/become defective, they no longer protect us! So the longer people live, in general, the greater the probability of their genes becoming defective, which is why we're seeing more people get various forms of cancer as they age!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 187 of 192

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I don't have any number in mind; I just want to be healthy & functional .. and die fast, when that's no longer the case.

You said it best for me!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 188 of 192

@ASTRAEA wrote:

I had one aunt who died of cancer at age 52, after suffering thru treatment for more than 10 years. I also have relatives who lived to almost 100 without any major illnesses.

I don't have any number in mind; I just want to be healthy & functional .. and die fast, when that's no longer the case.

hmm..my attempt at editing the quote didn't work out like I planned. 

Anyway, I fully agree.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 189 of 192

ASTRAEA wrote  Well said!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 190 of 192

"...I don't have any number in mind; I just want to be healthy & functional .. and die fast, when that's no longer the case.....".

Times two!!!!

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.