AARP Members Enjoy Exclusive Discounts on Travel, Dining and More. Join Today

Conversationalist

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 131 of 138

ASTRAEA wrote:

So the longer people live, in general, the greater the probability of their genes becoming defective, which is why we're seeing more people get various forms of cancer as they age!

Didn't need to know that. j/k Smiley Wink

I know it doesn't work this way but..........

My father passed away at 62 and mother at 90. If I split the difference I have 5 years left.

I agree with what you wrote earlier....as long as I can do the things I want or need to do.....Life is Good!

Blaine

(the Voltran thing is from years ago when I did Voltranic Syndicated News & Reviews)

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 132 of 138

I learned something very interesting last fall, about genes. I thought that you were born with genes, and they were either OK or not. If they weren't, you might be born with some disease, or develop it later in life. I never realized that genes could mutate or become defective, as we age! So certain genes protect us against cancer or other diseases .. but if they mutate/become defective, they no longer protect us! So the longer people live, in general, the greater the probability of their genes becoming defective, which is why we're seeing more people get various forms of cancer as they age!

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Conversationalist

Message 133 of 138

ASTRAEA wrote:

I don't have any number in mind; I just want to be healthy & functional .. and die fast, when that's no longer the case.

You said it best for me!

Gold Conversationalist

Message 134 of 138

ASTRAEA wrote:

I had one aunt who died of cancer at age 52, after suffering thru treatment for more than 10 years. I also have relatives who lived to almost 100 without any major illnesses.

I don't have any number in mind; I just want to be healthy & functional .. and die fast, when that's no longer the case.

hmm..my attempt at editing the quote didn't work out like I planned. 

Anyway, I fully agree.

Gold Conversationalist

Message 135 of 138

ASTRAEA wrote  Well said!

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 136 of 138

"...I don't have any number in mind; I just want to be healthy & functional .. and die fast, when that's no longer the case.....".

Times two!!!!

Just think. The world was built by the lowest bidder.
Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 137 of 138

I had one aunt who died of cancer at age 52, after suffering thru treatment for more than 10 years. I also have relatives who lived to almost 100 without any major illnesses.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Community Manager

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 138 of 138

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

AARPTeri