Congress Agrees on a Tax Bill. What Does Proposed Tax Bill Mean for Older Americans? Learn More.

Conversationalist

Re: How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Message 91 of 138

I will be 72 in a couple of months and I still ride horses and walk and lift hay bales and saddle my own horse. I have had a very full and adventurous life and my husband, love of my life, went home to be with the Lord 3 years ago. I would like to make it to 80s if I am healthy and living well, but when it is my time I have no regrets of undone activities.

Report Inappropriate Content
Info Seeker

Message 92 of 138

As long as I have good health in mind, body, and soul. 

Conversationalist

Message 93 of 138

read michael gregor's "how not to die".

Silver Conversationalist

Message 94 of 138

As long as I am able to get around, enjoy a cold beer, flirt with a woman, and enjoy life, bring it on.

Bronze Conversationalist

Message 95 of 138

Only thing about a "death with dignity" bill, thus enabling people to determine when and where they would die in the event of a terminal illness or debilitating disease, think it could too easily be used against those suffering same as a reason to be "put to sleep" - humans like animals!!  Time will come when this could happen without strict laws in place.  If we think it is OK to kill preborn humans for sake of convenience, who would give a thought to doing so to an older human deemed useless or inconvenient!?  That said, many of my relatives lives into their late 80s, 90s, one aunt just short of 100th birthday-will stick around as long as the good L-rd says so, but hope I have another twenty or more years.  Too much still to do!

Social Butterfly

Message 96 of 138

I am 70 and presently live in a retirement community  Many residents here are well into their late 80's and many even into their 90's.  We even have had a couple over 100!  For myself, I have made friends with these people and when they have passed away, it is a sad time.  I realize that, since my friends are older and will probably be gone long before I hit my 80's I am not sure I want to live that long. Longevity does not translate into happiness necessarily.  If my relatives and friends are gone or I am in a  condition that as I get older they just wheel me around in a wheelchair, I think 90   would be more than enough for me.  I have lived a good life and maybe haven't had the experiences of some others, but it was enough for me.

Silver Conversationalist

Message 97 of 138

Babies born in the last few years have life expectancies of 120.  I think I'll go into my coffin kicking and screaming--I don't want to die--I haven't lived a full life yet.  There's a whole world I've yet to explore.  I've spent all my young years married, and now that there's no kids to care for,  and I'm still healthy, that world is beckoning to me.  We don't have the option of knowing when the end will come, but I'd like to say I've really lived--like Auntie Mame!

Treasured Social Butterfly

Message 98 of 138

Age is just a number, and in this case it isn't the salient piece of data.

I don't care if I'm 62: if I experience some event that 'preserves' my life via machines, I would rather be dead. If I will never again recognize the smell of an elk herd on the wind; if I will never again be able to identify wildflowers in my yard, let alone tell DH what is his favorite dish or the name of the street where he grew up; if I am a vegetable, I want to be tossed onto the compost pile.

That said, I am planning to live until my late 90s.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Info Seeker

Message 99 of 138

Impossible to say without knowing what my circumstances will be at any given age.  If I'm relatively healthy, of sound mind, have sufficient financial resources, and the love of my life is still with me, then anything goes!  100 would be fine if all these conditions are met.  

Conversationalist

Message 100 of 138