Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How long do you want live? 80, 90, 100?

Do you have a number in mind? Do you want to live to be 80, 90 or 100? How about 115 or 120?

Do you think it matters what your expectations are? I do. I think if you expect to live a long healthy life, your chances of doing so are greater.

AARPTeri
Conversationalist

I am 70 and presently live in a retirement community  Many residents here are well into their late 80's and many even into their 90's.  We even have had a couple over 100!  For myself, I have made friends with these people and when they have passed away, it is a sad time.  I realize that, since my friends are older and will probably be gone long before I hit my 80's I am not sure I want to live that long. Longevity does not translate into happiness necessarily.  If my relatives and friends are gone or I am in a  condition that as I get older they just wheel me around in a wheelchair, I think 90   would be more than enough for me.  I have lived a good life and maybe haven't had the experiences of some others, but it was enough for me.

Conversationalist

Babies born in the last few years have life expectancies of 120.  I think I'll go into my coffin kicking and screaming--I don't want to die--I haven't lived a full life yet.  There's a whole world I've yet to explore.  I've spent all my young years married, and now that there's no kids to care for,  and I'm still healthy, that world is beckoning to me.  We don't have the option of knowing when the end will come, but I'd like to say I've really lived--like Auntie Mame!

Contributor

Impossible to say without knowing what my circumstances will be at any given age.  If I'm relatively healthy, of sound mind, have sufficient financial resources, and the love of my life is still with me, then anything goes!  100 would be fine if all these conditions are met.  

Honored Social Butterfly

Age is just a number, and in this case it isn't the salient piece of data.

I don't care if I'm 62: if I experience some event that 'preserves' my life via machines, I would rather be dead. If I will never again recognize the smell of an elk herd on the wind; if I will never again be able to identify wildflowers in my yard, let alone tell DH what is his favorite dish or the name of the street where he grew up; if I am a vegetable, I want to be tossed onto the compost pile.

That said, I am planning to live until my late 90s.

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Periodic Contributor

Contributor

I want to live to be 100, and beyond infinity.

I would like to live to be 90 . My parents were both 90 when they passed away . My grandfather was 93 . My brother just turned 87 . And I'm close to 70 . So hoping to reach 90 ,but only if sound mind .

I'm already 86, and hope to continue to 100. Members of my family have survived well into their 90s with intact memories and pretty good health. I watch my diet and do things I enjoy: still drive(safely), see a few friends, read, knit, draw, write, cook, etc.

I want to live as long as I have a dance partner, and I want to die quickly when the time comes.

avenueskier

Contributor

I prefer to live for today and be thankful for  the blessings  that I have been given.

Periodic Contributor

80 is my max, I have too many health issues now at 61 and know they become much worse with each few years so I don't care to suffer beyond 80
Contributor

Some time ago I was standing in line at a supermarket and a magazine cover there had a teaser caption on the cover: "Live to be 100."

We think we will be as we are now when we reach 100, but there are a lot of negatives in extreme old age. Your life will revolve around your health. All your friends are gone. Your siblings are gone. Maybe even your children are dying off.

I was lucky, because both my parents lived well into their 90's, but near the end they were only shadows of their former selves. I am 79 now and I try to be as active as I can - I feel my window of opportunity may be closing - so I have to go faster. If I can make it to 90 and still have an active lifestyle, that's all I ask.

My "thing" is long distance cycling, and I have two big trips coming up in Europe this summer. I am constantly asked the question. "How old are you?"

I want to live nine more years to age 86, statistically, a good number with my current health and financial resources. The odds of me still being able to live a life without significant decline, both mental and physical past thyat point are not good. I do not want to live any sort of diminished life and would end this one if I was in any way sufferring the indignity of pain, dependence, or helplessness. I would also have to reduce my standard of living  after that age since I run out of savings that year as well.

Periodic Contributor

Five years ago (I was 63)  when I was iron deficient (not yet diagnosed), I went in to see my MD.  She told me I should plan to live to 84 y.o.  I was so tired from my condition, I couldn't imagine continuing working, being so tired.  It was then I began to plan for my retirement.

Thankfully iron deficiency is an easy fix.  However, that number stuck in my mind.  That's 16 years from now, but, depending how I feel, I could go longer.

My friend's father is now 101.  After he turned 100, he now has his family come celebrate his birthday every year, coming from all parts of the country.

It all comes down to health, but late 80s or early 90s would be okay with me.

Periodic Contributor

100 years old would be a good round number.

Contributor

I expect to live up to or past 100. Both grandmothers lived to 95 and one aunt till 103. I am taking better care of myself than they did so the prospects are good.
Contributor

I pray to live to a healthy 100
Periodic Contributor

I expect to make it to my 90s. My father died at 90-1/2, my mother is still going strong at. 92-1/2, and great grandparents lived into their late 90s and one even beyond 100. However, I would not choose to live that long if I am very ill and in pain or am a burden on others.
Super Contributor

I would like to think that I would live into my 90s as 5 on both sides of my family (and another 2 into their late 80s) have. But I would still want to have decent health and all my brain facilties.  Without that then what's the point.  My hope is that when it is my time that I pass quickly and quietly in my sleep.

Regular Contributor

I completed one of those "health assessments" a few years ago, and if that proves to be true I should live to be 100.  As long as the next 38 years are good, I'm happy.

Regular Contributor

I expect to live to the age of 117! 

When I was 16 years old, I had a dream that I would die either at the age of 16 or 117.  The rest of that year, until my 17th birthday, I worried constantly (not really, but I was aware of the dream).  On my 17th birthday, I heaved a sigh of relief and settled down for another 100 years of life.  I have now made it to 70, so I am over halfway there. 

Several years ago when my high school class held its 50th class reunion, at the end of the evening I told some of my friends that I'd see them at our 100th class reunion.  I figured that since the reunions have traditionally been held about 6 weeks before my birthday,  I would still be 117 at the time our 100th reunion would theoretically be held, so I would have a chance to make it. 

The dream really occurred, but the expectation is imaginary . . . or is it?

Jim

Contributor

My mother passed away about 6 months after I returned from the Gulf War in 91. She was 77. My father lived until the age of 93, 11 days short of 94. Mom's family were lived anywhere from 75 - 87, while dad had 3 brothers and sisters that lived until their early to mid 90"s. So what do I expect? A question I've not thought about much; I think my goal is to live until I die. Then return and watch over my children and grandchildren.

retemo
Contributor

As long as I can retain a substantial use of my mind and body and serve my community.

Honored Social Butterfly

IN THE NEWS

Baltimore Sun 01/17/2015 Discussion over 'death with dignity' emerging in Maryland

~from the link ~

"The highly publicized death of Brittany Maynard, a 29-year-old with terminal brain cancer who ended her life under Oregon's death-with-dignity law last year, is renewing a national debate over assisted suicide — including whether to legalize it in Maryland.

Some lawmakers are proposing to enact a death-with-dignity law like those in place in Washington state and Oregon. And an ailing former Annapolis alderman, who has Parkinson's disease and says he is "ready to go," could provide a very personal side to the General Assembly debate."

~ more at the link ~

Good Luck, Maryland - some of us will be watching this debate closely.  What higher human right could there be than CHOICE to determine ones own fate when the future may hold nothing but losing your autonomy and perhaps living with pain.

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
Trusted Contributor

Only thing about a "death with dignity" bill, thus enabling people to determine when and where they would die in the event of a terminal illness or debilitating disease, think it could too easily be used against those suffering same as a reason to be "put to sleep" - humans like animals!!  Time will come when this could happen without strict laws in place.  If we think it is OK to kill preborn humans for sake of convenience, who would give a thought to doing so to an older human deemed useless or inconvenient!?  That said, many of my relatives lives into their late 80s, 90s, one aunt just short of 100th birthday-will stick around as long as the good L-rd says so, but hope I have another twenty or more years.  Too much still to do!

Social Butterfly

Not to be all morbid or anything but given a choice...I'd be good with 60. I just feel that that might be realistically how long I have anyway. I'm 52 now...my Mom passed at 66 from a heart attack and she had lived longer than any woman on that side of the family. The only thing I do healthier than she did is daily exercise, I don't know if that's enough to cancel out the years I smoked and the tolls of stress. I don't want to outlive my husband, I'd rather go at the same time in fact.

Also I look at my Dad, 93 and still independent. But all the friends who have died, all the friends who are sick, that out of his five brothers and sisters he has two sisters left. He was lucky to find a partner late in life. She's younger and really turned his life around after he lost my Mom. But while he managed to plan for a stable retirement I know I'll be working until I croak. So yeah if you have financial resources and can travel and enjoy old age then more power to you.

Honored Social Butterfly

I am posting this link here to a very thought provoking article by health care reporter, Sarah Kliff.

After reading it, we can discuss it, if you like.
Personally, I am thinking about printing it out and giving it to my family members who hold my Health care directive powers. I want them to understand the subject of this article and we will have further discussions about it.

Here is the link
VOX 01/11/2015 How Americans' refusal to talk about death hurts the elderly by Sarah Kliff
http://www.vox.com/2015/1/11/7517211/end-of-life-care

It's Always Something . . . . Roseanna Roseannadanna
0 Kudos

Thank you forr the referral to the article. Good points in it. I was a speech therpaist for years and obtained a MDIV. I am very much intressted looking at social customs in America re: saying good bye and end of life issues. Seems we do well welcoming new life, Not so well in sying gid bye with peace and dignity. Blessings!

Honored Social Butterfly

"...After reading it, we can discuss it, if you like....".

Unfortunately, not much to discuss. If assisted suicide were legal, then we'd have something.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Contributor

As long as I can as long can provided my mind is okay, if not good then 90
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP