Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How has your diet changed as you’ve aged?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How has your diet changed as you’ve aged?

There’s no denying that as you age, your body changes. As a result, your diet also evolves. After 50, experts say, it pays to be choosier about your foods, and make sure you're getting enough nutritional bang for your buck.

Have you had to make significant changes to your diet? Or have you had to make small adjustments?

I’m fortunate in that I’ve been a healthy eater my entire life, but I do indulge in unhealthy things from time to time. I’m going to try making this Superfood Chopped Salad with Salmon & Creamy Garlic Dressing. It combines an assortment of superfoods, and it sounds delicious!

If you have other healthy and nutritional recipes that you enjoy, please share them.

0 Kudos

My diet has not changed for the better because food no longer tastes good to me, and I have ARFID so it's very difficult to get proper nutrition.  I did better before Covid when I could go out to restaurants and pick reasonably healthy choices. I can't cook and don't like anything I can/do make with store bought food.

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear that @LindaA534294 - have you been able to do takeout or delivery from restaurants you like?

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

I’m just happy that coffee and alcohol are now declared to be good for you, in sensible amounts.

Periodic Contributor

Hear, hear on the coffee and alcohol! For me, the biggest change in my diet is I've scaled down on everything, while eating basically the same as since my 30s (I'm now in my early 70s.) I've been blessed with a good appestat, and now instinctively eat about half as much as I did in my 30s, when I ran 36 miles a week. I have arthritis now, and do mainly yoga poses and self-improvised super-slow motion movements. I take no medication except for Lucentis ocular injections every 90-10 weeks. My basic diet is 1/3 meat, 2/3 vegetables (usually half of that is brown rice, I'm Asian -- and I think it's the major reason for my digestive health,) and indulge in sweets only occasionally. I plan to do a lot of walking after I retire.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing @rtimai! I had to look up what appestat means and you certainly are blessed to have good appestat! I appreciate your perspective in thinking about how I can maintain a healthy diet as I age.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP