Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

Community Manager
Community Manager

How does the winter blues affect you?

Do you get the winter blues?  Does it affect your mood?  Or are you not succeptible to this?  Share your experiences here.

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Definitely do!!  After living in a tropical climate for the past 30 years, I feel especially vulnerable this year since I just moved.  I actually dread the coming winter - the cold, lack of light, and forced isolation since there's no public transportation here.  Years ago when I lived in a cold climate, I used to try to do things like wear bright colors, fill the house with pleasant scents (either flowery or spicey) by baking or lighting potpourri, and even bought a color book (!) since I'm not a good painter.  After awhile I got into the habit of stockpiling projects to get them done in the wintertime so at least I could stay busy.  I also painted the inside of my garage bright yellow and painted palm trees and big flowers on one wall!  

My Winters; coupled with an auto immune,have been paralyzing. Because I'm in a rural area,a good Rheumatologist is near impossible to come by. So, I sleep. I keep trying though-& dih,i could move to where it's nice year round! It's on my list!

The last two years I proactively prevented SAD by spending the winter months in Okinawa. Right now, I'm in Nago, Okinawa, where the temperature today was in the low 70s-high 60s. 

Spent time walking my 5,000 steps and relaxing in a Thalasso pool at the Terrace Club in Busena. Yesterday we viewed cherry blossoms (already a week past their peak) and walked along the beach collecting sea shells. 

This is a preventive medicine for SAD, one I can personally recommend. 

Social Butterfly

One advantage to winter:  No mosquitos!

Contributor

Somewhere along the way, I realized I had SAD. I find I crave bright light (yeah, I know, tell me I should be on stage - there's one leaving in 10 minutes). 

I am using light therapy which is helpful.

My other therapy is a homeopathic transdermal Human Growth Hormone gel which is FDA registered. My mood definitely has lifted and I have much more energy, almost like younger days past. Don't panic. It's a microdose that leaves the body in 6 hours. As we age, we lose the ability to make HGH. Higher levels of Human Growth Hormone are associated with improved mood and energy. There are many other benefits associated with higher levels of HGH and I'm thankful to have found this product.

In the meantime, let's all get outside whenever the sun is shining! Rock on!

What brand, type do you recommend? At my wits end and have tried the therapeutic lighting my Dr. recommended, Vit. D, even have my blinds up all day long in my apartment to no avail. Look forward to your response. Thank you

Contributor

I bought a product by a company named Valkee from Amazon but you can find the company online. It's a small rechargeable device with earbuds that emit a cold white light that goes directly into your brain. You do it for 12 minutes within 2 hours after waking. Seems to make a difference. It's called a Human Charger. Also has instructions for jetlag.

Are you taking any vitamin D? Supposedly most people don't get enough. It is one more tool in the toolbox. Research it online and ask your doctor.

The homeopathic Human Growth Hormone gel I use is FDA registered and considered over the counter. Higher levels of HGH are associated with mood improvement, improved sleep, and many other benefits. You rub it on thin areas of skin where it absorbs easily twice a day. It's out of my system in 6 hours but it sure helps me. If you want more info or an ingredient list to take to your doctor let me know.

In the meantime, we are both going outdoors getting some extra sun.

Kudos
Views

I live in Northeastern PA where we our winter weather is ruled by lake effect weather. Yes, We do get lake effect weather from Lake Erie and Ontario. Most of the winter here is very gray, which is what bothers me the most. It's not the cold, or snow, but the constant gray overcast that rules the sky from November thru March. I'm certain that I have SAD even though I work, volunteer, stay active, eat right, and try very hard to remain positive. There's no sitting around moping, wishing I was somewhere else, but come February my affect is flat , and I just want to hibernate. How I combat this is I bought a large indoor greenhouse with a special light, and I started a garden. Sometimes I take a lawn chair and just sit infront of the greenhouse with my eyes shut because it reminds me of summer, which will be here before long. 🙂

Bronze Conversationalist

Winter blues?  I get the "winter delights".  Another southern Californian here, I'm originally from Boston where I shoveled snow a lot.  Built up good arm muscles, though.  Then to steamy south Florida, and now out here for the past  50+ years where I live in the foothills in a town  nicknamed the "frypan of southern California" or alternatively "The Valley of the Sun".  I'm sure you get the idea.  When we finally get winter, which doesn't happen every year, I delight in taking out what I call my "winter jacket" and hand-knitted scarf.  Of course, by mid-day these things are no longer needed even on the coldest day.  I actually get the "summer blues" when the temps don't get below 80 degrees and often get above 100 degrees.  We've had days when our swimming pool water was too hot for swimming.  I miss having seasons other than hot and scorching.  Give me the cold anytime.  Maybe my fingertips would turn blue, but the rest of me would be happy.  No winter blues here.

Silver Conversationalist

Reply to ip3285

You must be in Phoenix;  

Valley of the Sun

The Greater Phoenix area is referred to as the Valley of the Sun, mostly in tourism marketing materials. No one would deny that it is descriptive, as the Sonoran Desert, where Phoenix is located, is a very sunny place with little rainfall during the year, and the cities and towns of the Phoenix area actually are in a valley, the Salt River Valley. 

Contributor

I just had hid replacement surgrey Nov. 1. This cold weather then hot, has me fighting a cold off and on and not my hip hurting more so my knee joints. I know I am still healing but this weather is not helping.

Honored Social Butterfly

DW and I don't seem to get 'winter blues'. We're in greater Chicago area where at this time of writing, air temp is -8, wind chill -20.

We both do some volunteer work, go to the local gym every day, take a couple of walks a day (including in the cold and snowy weather), do some reading, and do a lot of trip planning over the winter. DW always starts a few large puzzles over the winter.

We do tend to sit and watch more TV and spend more time on the PC, but all in all, we keep busy enough that winter is just part of the year and routine. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."

I'm very happy & pleased for you and DW having a mild case of Seasonal Affective Disorder, but many people are not as fortunate.  One is not whiney, lazy nor do (in my case) we not take responsibility for ourselves. AB & I also walk, do volunteer projects, go to the gym, eat properly, and do Yoga classes for elasticity & energy. Many people who have this condition are not responsive to therapeutic light therapy, and the wonderful option of travel plans frequently in the offing. Another factor is SAD is oftentimes accompanied with many adjoining depression synapses that are further exasperated by the winter darkness & doldrums,  A gloomy attitude anyone can work on with diligence, but this is a real condition that needs apathy, compassion. and supportive networking.

Silver Conversationalist

Living here in SoCal - winter is a season I look forward to - as a respite from our very long hot summers.  During our winter - the sun still shines almost every day and the daytime temps run in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Just checked the thermometer; it's 68.  My mood is great.  I'll be outside splitting wood and don't get soaked with sweat like I do in the summer.  Great for hiking and walking too.  I have never experienced any "winter blues".

As a young man - I lived in Montana and Wyoming, plus a couple winters in Korea - so I have experienced cold weather.  Never had any winter blues tho.  Smiley Happy 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP