Highlighted
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How does the winter blues affect you?

Message 11 of 15

Winter blues?  I get the "winter delights".  Another southern Californian here, I'm originally from Boston where I shoveled snow a lot.  Built up good arm muscles, though.  Then to steamy south Florida, and now out here for the past  50+ years where I live in the foothills in a town  nicknamed the "frypan of southern California" or alternatively "The Valley of the Sun".  I'm sure you get the idea.  When we finally get winter, which doesn't happen every year, I delight in taking out what I call my "winter jacket" and hand-knitted scarf.  Of course, by mid-day these things are no longer needed even on the coldest day.  I actually get the "summer blues" when the temps don't get below 80 degrees and often get above 100 degrees.  We've had days when our swimming pool water was too hot for swimming.  I miss having seasons other than hot and scorching.  Give me the cold anytime.  Maybe my fingertips would turn blue, but the rest of me would be happy.  No winter blues here.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 15

I just had hid replacement surgrey Nov. 1. This cold weather then hot, has me fighting a cold off and on and not my hip hurting more so my knee joints. I know I am still healing but this weather is not helping.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 15

DW and I don't seem to get 'winter blues'. We're in greater Chicago area where at this time of writing, air temp is -8, wind chill -20.

We both do some volunteer work, go to the local gym every day, take a couple of walks a day (including in the cold and snowy weather), do some reading, and do a lot of trip planning over the winter. DW always starts a few large puzzles over the winter.

We do tend to sit and watch more TV and spend more time on the PC, but all in all, we keep busy enough that winter is just part of the year and routine. 

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Super Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 15

Living here in SoCal - winter is a season I look forward to - as a respite from our very long hot summers.  During our winter - the sun still shines almost every day and the daytime temps run in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Just checked the thermometer; it's 68.  My mood is great.  I'll be outside splitting wood and don't get soaked with sweat like I do in the summer.  Great for hiking and walking too.  I have never experienced any "winter blues".

As a young man - I lived in Montana and Wyoming, plus a couple winters in Korea - so I have experienced cold weather.  Never had any winter blues tho.  Smiley Happy 

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How does the winter blues affect you?

Message 15 of 15

Do you get the winter blues?  Does it affect your mood?  Or are you not succeptible to this?  Share your experiences here.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users