Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you save money on your well-being?

Message 1 of 19

Make your own saline. Many over the counter nasal rinses contain chemicals that have been shown to be addictive, and the 'pure' brands (Ayr, Ocean) are expensive* if you are using them daily or multiple times per day. Last year my doctor suggested I start brewing my own. Here's the recipe I've been using: 

Add 1 cup (240 mL) distilled water to a clean container. If you use tap water, boil it first to sterilize it, and then let it cool until it is lukewarm. Add 0.5 tsp (2.5 g) salt to the water. Add 0.5 tsp (2.5 g) baking soda.

I make a quart and keep the unused saline in the refrigerator.

* At last count, a small bottle of Ayr cost around $2.25. I often use 2 bottles per week. Meanwhile, the homemade version costs me pennies per month. 

"The key to success is to keep growing in all areas of life - mental, emotional, spiritual, as well as physical." Julius Erving
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19

@ASTRAEA wrote:

One way is to check your local supermarket for healthier brands, because a lot of them are adding sections with organic produce, packaged goods & meats. You might save 25% over buying the same item at a health food store, or a premium supermarket like whole foods.

Good point.  Most stores now carry some selection of these.  You don't have to go to the fancier health food stores although they do have a much bigger selection imho.  You can get organic product just about everywhere now because there is demand for it.. same with eggs and dairy and meat etc.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19

One way is to check your local supermarket for healthier brands, because a lot of them are adding sections with organic produce, packaged goods & meats. You might save 25% over buying the same item at a health food store, or a premium supermarket like whole foods.

Registered on Online Community since 2007!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19

One of the biggest expenses that people incur in older age is the cost of medicine.  Doing anything that you can to not need it will save you later.  See your doctor, get a check up and follow his advice.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

I buy powder supplements, e.g., curcumin, piperine, n-acetyl cysteine, vitamin B12, folic acid, mix them, and put them into size 000 gelatin capsules using this device:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwQPYhtu5RI

Also, I save money by getting written prescriptions from my doctors and then shopping for the lowest drug price at

https://www.goodrx.com/

This is especially valuable when in the donut hole.  But, beware Walmart doesn't always honor their coupons. 

Old Witch
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 19

I'm taking a lot of supplements now, and it pays off to check prices in various places, before buying anything. Sometimes doctors pass on their discounts, when they order for you .. others don't. Check Amazon, and other websites that have healthy/organic foods & supplements; their prices are often significantly less than the local health food store or Whole Foods .. and delivery can be very fast.

Kudos
Views
Silver Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

Instead of incentives for using health care resources,like Obamacare,we need incentives to exercise more and eat healthier.This country wastes way too much resources on health care,that could be used for other purposes,if Americans took better care of themselves and stopped depending on doctors to bail them out of their bad behavior.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19
Get yourself a Nutribullet and put everything but the kitchen sink in there for him, veggies, fruits, nuts, milk, all the stuff he won't sit and eat. This worked great for me.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

@oklagramma - Tough when it's someone else, and your control over their behavior is limited.

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19
ASTRAEA: Thanks for replying. You are SOOOOO right! However, the patient is my husband who is unwilling to change his eating habits to control this disease, so I'm afraid pills are his only option. He likes very few veggies--and barely tolerates, green beans and corn. Tires of green salads easily so you can see the difficulties I encounter. Another problem is that the doctor praises him highly because his A1C is usually only 1-2 points from normal (I assume so long as he takes these high powered prescriptions). Also when he tests it seems to make zero difference if his diet was high fat, low fat, good or bad. A friend says he can eat a piece of bread and within 30 minutes his sugar is sky high. This does not happen to him so he lacks good and immediate feedback. He has experienced foot ulcers regularly the last six months and I thought that would be a wake-up call. Apparently that isn't working either. Thanks again, though. I just wanted to let you know this.
Kudos
Views