Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you keep yourself motivated when it comes to fitness?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you keep yourself motivated when it comes to fitness?

Workout at Home.jpgHaving a regular fitness routine gives you more energy, prolongs your life, helps you get better sleep and improves mental health. If your exercise routine is personal and meaningful to you, thatโ€™s all that matters!

The most important thing you can do to get fit and stay fit is finding your โ€œwhy.โ€ The key is to find the one reason why you want to exercise. If your why becomes important and visible to you, youโ€™ll be unstoppable when it comes to achieving your fitness goals. A body in motion tends to stay in motion, so when you arenโ€™t feeling motivated, keep coming back to your โ€œwhy!โ€

Whatโ€™s your "why?" How do you keep yourself motivated when it comes to fitness?

0 Kudos
Contributor

Now that I'm in my mid70's, I gave myself 3 mornings a week to exercise with a maximum of 45 minutes per session.  My time is my gift to myself for these mornings; women are so used to taking care of everyone else but not themselves.  This is the "talk" I give myself to motivate me to exercise.

Social Butterfly

@at7918 You make a very good point.  Always the caregivers and nurturers. Great workout schedule.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Initially it was the idea of burning the extra calories from food so that  i don't have to be on diet to keep the weight down.  Now that I have reached my senior years I want to stay fit so that when I reached the golden years I can maintain my independent living. I have become addicted to exercise but not excessive way.

If done right, exercise becomes a pleasurable habit. Like spending an hour outdoors every day. I ran six days a week from the 1960s to 2015. That changed that to brisk walking after joint replacements.

Social Butterfly

@Peter303  That is an impressive timespan!  Welcome to the online community here at AARP!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Fortunately for me, I've been loving my active life forever.
I work out 6 days a week. I do about 50 minutes of floor work (Yoga, stretches, and poses). Then I walk to the gym where I do a fast walk on the treadmill for 35 minutes and then about 15 minutes of weight work.
On alternate days, I go to our local outdoor pool and swim laps (all the strokes!) for about an hour. I even swim in the rain. Nothing stops me. I've been swimming since I was 2 years old.

I"m now a healthy 67-years-young woman!

Oh, even in college, where one doesn't HAVE to take a P.E. class, I always chose to, from cycling, to dance, to gymnastics to archery!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Your routine is a good one @PamelaF125687 - definitely similar to mine, minus the swimming (although, I would like to incorporate that back into my life at some point). I also took PE classes throughout college. One of my favorites was step aerobics!

Contributor

Wow! I canโ€™t believe no one has mentioned Pickleball as a way to workout! It is so much fun that you forget youโ€™re exercising! I am not a big fan of exercising just because itโ€™s good for me. It has to be fun and social. I am approaching 70 and I play for 2-3 hours 4 times per week. My Apple Watch tracks my heart rate and calories. In some workouts I burn almost 1000 calories. Most communities have Pickleball courts now and more are being put in everyday. It is the fastest growing sport in the USA and many senior citizens play. Google it and see how you can get started. I have met so many fun people since starting this sport 7 years ago. Itโ€™s very easy to learn and have a positive experience. You donโ€™t have to be athletic as people of all body types play and enjoy the sport. Give it a try and you too might become addicted to this fun sport!

Community Manager
Community Manager

I love pickleball! I haven't played since PE class in high school. Thanks for reminding me about it @vb4suth. It's way more common now than it was when I first learned about the game.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Sadly, the pickleball group here is nasty and competitive. No thanks. I'll stick with my routine. Who needs that stress?

0 Kudos

I quit smoking at age 30 and suddenly had a lot of newly discovered energy.  I channelled it into basketball, racquetball and running.  I played those sports for many years and then discovered lifting weights.  Now in my 80's I still work out 6 days a week - 3 mornings lifting weights and the other 3 mornings either walking and playing golf, speed walking in my neighborhood or riding my bike.  I feel guilty if I don't do one of those activities every morning but Sunday when it is Church day and R & R.  It has worked for me because at 84 my doctor is amazed at my physical condition and lab results like BP, resting heart rate, etc.

Social Butterfly

@jpmccarthy  First, let me welcome to the online community.  Thank you for sharing your story.  You're a true testament of what discipline and commitment can bring to aging well.  Very impressive.  I have been inspired by your to continue with my exercise program,  and I am sure you have inspired countless others.

Regular Contributor

Although never a very impressive athlete, I've been active my entire life. My motivation is and has always been that I want to be able to take care of myself, as much as possible and as long as possible, rather than being a burden to others, whether the latter be in the form of individuals or organizations (e.g., Medicare, Medicaid, etc.).

Contributor

I discovered Oula about 8 years ago - a dance fitness routine that works both your mind and body.  The dances are tricky enough that you have to use your brain and its a great aerobic workout.  Before that all aerobic exercise was soooo boring, running, machines etc.  But now I go everyday and actually cant wait to go.   Its been a life changer as when I go to the dr she says the 67 year old me has the body of a 50 year old!! Yay Oula!!!!

Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow! I've never heard of Oula before, but I will certainly check it out. Sounds like it's an incredibly beneficial fitness routine in so many ways!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

My local multi-generational center has senior exercise classes two mornings a week.  The class gives you an amazing workout and you get together with fellow classmates to strengthen and have fun together.   

Community Manager
Community Manager

What a great way to exercise and socialize @papamona! I'm glad you have something like that in your community.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

Q)  What is the most difficult thing about exercising?  A) Getting started.

Periodic Contributor

My why is my family! I want to be healthy and live a long, vibrant life for as long as I can.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I feel that @PWSwift ๐Ÿ’œ 

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

Thank you.  I forgot to say why.  It feels good to exercise and it is wonderful to feel alive and happy.  Reading gives me even more motivation on bad weather days.

Social Butterfly

@l935544w  I agree.  Reading can also, briefly, transport you away on just a bad day in general.

Periodic Contributor

I'm 83.  Usually, I walk fast for30 - 40 minutes - either with a friend or alone.   When the weather is bad, I work out on an exercise bike.  I rarely miss one or the other.  I enjoy the walking - outdoor scenes and the talk and laughter with my friend.  I use a music stand and read while I'm on the bike so that is very enjoyable too.

Community Manager
Community Manager

I hope I'm like you when I'm 83 ๐Ÿ’ช

Social Butterfly

@l935544w  Welcome to the online community!  The music stand is a creative idea! Impressive that you are exercising so consistently.

0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  My why is that I want to live a long healthy life, maintain weight, keep good mobility, socialize with others and help where I can in the community.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing @Rhymesometimes ๐Ÿ’œ My why also includes wanting to live a long, healthy life.

Social Butterfly

@AARPRachelA  Living long and healthfully gives you so many more options as you age. Mobility is huge. I saw my mom who swam 1 1/4 miles five days a week for years, then completely fall apart physically and mentally in a short time after two hip replacement surgeries ( for same hip )  She past away two years ago with Alzheimer's.  Very sad.  That will always drive my "why."

Kudos
Views
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear about your mom @Rhymesometimes. I can imagine how difficult it was to bear witness to that. My grandma passed away from Alzheimer's in 2004. It's such a devastating disease. I'm glad you've found a way to turn your experience into a motivator ๐Ÿ’œ

cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP