Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you keep up with exercise during the holidays?

Retired Community Manager

How do you keep up with exercise during the holidays?

How do you overcome the time and energy demands of the holidays and stick to your exercise program? Do you modify what you do? Where, when, and/or how long you do it? Or do you prioritize exercise and keep doing exactly what you're doing now?

Let us know how you exercise during the holidays.

0 Kudos
Contributor

Having company over means I get more exercise than normal with extra house cleaning and entertaining activities.  Also, I get more movement with extra playtime with grandchildren.  

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I TRY TO GET TO THE TOWN NORTH YMCA "ACTIVE OLDER ADULTS" PROGRAMS AS REGULARLY AS POSSIBLE.    WALK AT THE GALLERIA - GREAT STAIRCASES!   HAVE WEIGHT-TRAINING EQUIPMENT AT HOME - SOMETIMES GO TO THE FARMERS BRANCH REC CENTER!

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I HAVE AN "ACTIVE OLDER ADULTS" MEMBERSHIP AT TOWN NORTH YMCA AND IT'S THE ONLY EXERCISE MEMBERSHIP I'LL EVER BE INTERESTED IN - IT'S ALL WE SENIORS NEED!

0 Kudos

My husband ans I try to keep toour daily exercise schedule, but it can be tough. Five days a week we get up and out to our fitness center by 6 am ( Saturdays it is 7 am). Most of the time we are back before any guests are Awake. Since I go to bed early (9pm) I still get my 7-8 hours sleep. It is a tough schedule but it works for us.

Kudos
Views

Having a dog helps a lot! We HAVE to do the early morning potty walk before any of the excitement begins. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The 'holidays' are only a few days. I normally work out 5 days a week and there are 7 days to the week. It really doesn't interfere much with routine. There are a few extra days during the holidays where family gets together, but the workout days are easily made up.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Regular Contributor

I make it a priority, and take the time to do it, whenever that time is.

Contributor

I will keep on walking because I feel better doing that.

0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

I can't believe it, but it's time for me to start thinking about this now, so that I can be intentional...  I cant wait to read some tips.

0 Kudos
Contributor

The best way to keep up with your exercises is to plan for your Holiday meals ahead of time.  If you have the ability to freeze some of your dishes, when you have some extra time, prepare them and put them in the freezer.  That way there is no rush on making sure that your meals are ready.  There are lots of dishes that freeze well, they last and taste freshly made after you take them from the freezer.  If you do that ahead of time, then decide what days are most convenient for you to exercise, it may not be everyday, but at least three times per week.  Then choose a time, early morning, mid afternoon, or late evening. The most important thing is to do it, make a decision and stick to it unless there is an emergency that stops you.  You will find that preparation is the key to all things.  Make it a blessed Thanksgiving and Christmas, hopes this helps. 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipede® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP