Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you handle the holiday blues?

Message 11 of 20

Christmas for me is a reminder of Christ and that we all should be caring and giving towards one another. Now that’s what it should be but for me sometime it just turns into more work. Having a busy job along with three young kids and a wife can take a toll. There’s a lot of pressure to please everyone at the same time. There aren’t to many quite moments around my home this time of the year. To get my peace I’ve been reading a bit more, placing more focus on my kids and working on my personal health at the tail end of things.

Right now I’m focused on weight lifting and just trying to slim down a bit. I’m eating more fruits and vegetables on most days with my main protein source being skinless chicken. Then I make sure I’m drinking my green juice ( http://cutt.ly.com/rrw8Gmx ) for that extra energy. So far that has been working for me. I’m feeling better each day. Those are my thoughts for now…….Merry Christmas!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 20

My parents loved Christmas and everything about it. However, I lost my Dad on Dec. 26,2010  and my Mom 4 yrs. later- 2 hrs. into Dec. 27th-2014.  I am an only child so this season is very difficult for me as the  days leading up to their deaths reoccur.  I am trying to honor and celebrate the season they loved so much instead of continually grieving. This has it's challenges and I take it one day at a time. This is the first year I have been able to put up some Christmas decorations and refocus on the birth of Jesus.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 20

I consider Christmas to be the Birth of Jesus. I enjoy my Church, Church activities and my Church friends but since I no longer have young children nor 'Santa Claus' in my lfe, I don't overdo any part of the commercial / financial side of Christmas. That is certainly just ONE bonus of being a Sr. Citizen. I see it as just ONE more DAY of the 365 / 366 each year. 

Take Santa and the commercialization out of Christmas and appreciate The True Reason for The Season of Christmas and: You'll ditch the holiday blues!. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 20

HaHaHa! Not really a lover of fruit cake but with the rum, who knows it just might make it on my blues list!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 20

A nice piece of holiday fruitcake will cheer you up, especially if it has rum in the recipe!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

How can I handle the holiday blues?

Message 16 of 20

I could use some assistance.

Please send the details!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 20

Yes, had the blues every Christmas for a very long time. I have experienced my family and friends disappearing one by one over 20+ year. I have experienced grief thus long. My whole family has passed away.  There are only nieces and nephews and their families left. Five hours away is the nearest relative. How have I learned to manage? I have learned to be by myself. Movies and books are an interest. I have friends who add me to their families if I choose to participate. I think about new things the new year may bring my way. I remember the reason for Christmas and pray for peace of mind, though not religious, I am spirtual. Sometimes I make a new receipe on Christmas Eve. Just for me. I listen to Christmas music. I exercise. A short session of exercise brings the color in my cheeks. After New Years Day, I generally feel better. Hope everyone does have a very Merry Christmas.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 20

We're fortunate enough to have family, sometimes too much.  No blues so far......:manwink:

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Recognized Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Reply: How do you handle the holiday blues?

Message 19 of 20

I cry and pray a lot.

TREE.gif

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views
Replies

How do you handle the holiday blues?

Message 20 of 20

Did you know many experience the holiday blues?  Have you ever had them?  Share what you have done to help handle these temporary bouts of depression or loneliness.

AARPTeri
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.