Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you handle the holiday blues?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you handle the holiday blues?

Did you know many experience the holiday blues?  Have you ever had them?  Share what you have done to help handle these temporary bouts of depression or loneliness.

AARPTeri
Conversationalist

Always around Christmas Time, it seems to creep up on me, it was such a hard time when my sister died, my Dad got sent away on a military assignment all in the same year. That Christmas was very sad.

As, I grew up, I think I blocked it out of my mind until I think about it today and when Christmas comes around.

So, I put on the best songs that I love- Grandma got ran over by a reindeer and it makes me laugh again. When, I see all my children and grandchildren laughing and smiling, it sends warmness into my heart and heal those memories of long ago.  I do Qigong exercise to get out that negative energy out and bring in the new energy, from the Universe to the roots of my feet.

Its all about spreading White Light, Love and Compassion which makes my Christmas more enjoyable!

0 Kudos
Conversationalist

I have a friend who is bi-polar, she can be up one day and down the next.  She does have medication but I can always tell when she is down, because she hardly talks or interacts with us, and when she is up, she never shuts up!  But I love her dearly and I am always there for her if she needs me, and I tell her that.

Kudos
Views
Super Contributor

Pray you both Have a Blessed,Healing,Safe,Happy,Peaceful,Prosperous New Year in Jesus Name.
Margreta Maple
0 Kudos
Contributor

December is a sad month for me: the passing of both my in-laws, my late father's birthday, and now my own mother's death. Luckily, my mother took the time to create chronological photo albums of our family, beginning from the time she and my father met. Going through these albums, I can still savor the sweet childhood memories of Christmas. Seeing my child-self surrounded and loved and hugged and kissed by relatives long gone gives me comfort, lifts my mood, and connects me to them all on a spiritual level. Self-care is so important, too - exercise, getting a manicure or pedicure, or sharing a meal with friends - keeps me grounded and refreshes my spirit.

Periodic Contributor

Absolutely wonderful way to look at it! Being grateful for what we have and the blessings we can look back on is a potent way to increase joy in our lives.
Contributor

Christmas for me is a reminder of Christ and that we all should be caring and giving towards one another. Now thatโ€™s what it should be but for me sometime it just turns into more work. Having a busy job along with three young kids and a wife can take a toll. Thereโ€™s a lot of pressure to please everyone at the same time. There arenโ€™t to many quite moments around my home this time of the year. To get my peace Iโ€™ve been reading a bit more, placing more focus on my kids and working on my personal health at the tail end of things.

Right now Iโ€™m focused on weight lifting and just trying to slim down a bit. Iโ€™m eating more fruits and vegetables on most days with my main protein source being skinless chicken. Then I make sure Iโ€™m drinking my green juice ( http://cutt.ly.com/rrw8Gmx ) for that extra energy. So far that has been working for me. Iโ€™m feeling better each day. Those are my thoughts for nowโ€ฆโ€ฆ.Merry Christmas!

Contributor

My parents loved Christmas and everything about it. However, I lost my Dad on Dec. 26,2010  and my Mom 4 yrs. later- 2 hrs. into Dec. 27th-2014.  I am an only child so this season is very difficult for me as the  days leading up to their deaths reoccur.  I am trying to honor and celebrate the season they loved so much instead of continually grieving. This has it's challenges and I take it one day at a time. This is the first year I have been able to put up some Christmas decorations and refocus on the birth of Jesus.

Periodic Contributor

I understand your difficulty separating the Christmas season from the loss of your parents during late December. I still grieve around the dates my parents died, Mom in 1996 and Dad in 2006. The connection with Christmas, when everyone is โ€œsupposed to beโ€ joyful, Iโ€™m sure makes it more painful by contrast. You are doing the right thing in focusing on Christ when you feel down. Jesus experienced grief and even death. He understands and offers comfort and eternal love. He is your guarantee you will see them again. In the meantime, donโ€™t fall into the trap of isolating yourself because you are sad. That makes it worse. Reach out to others during the Christmas season. Get together with friends and family. Attend church and participate in their celebrations. Choose a cause you believe in and volunteer or donate. In other words, give your love to the people who need it, now, while you and they are still in this troubled world. That is the very reason you are here.
Social Butterfly

A nice piece of holiday fruitcake will cheer you up, especially if it has rum in the recipe!

Periodic Contributor

HaHaHa! Not really a lover of fruit cake but with the rum, who knows it just might make it on my blues list!

Trusted Contributor

I could use some assistance.

Please send the details!

Periodic Contributor

Yes, had the blues every Christmas for a very long time. I have experienced my family and friends disappearing one by one over 20+ year. I have experienced grief thus long. My whole family has passed away.  There are only nieces and nephews and their families left. Five hours away is the nearest relative. How have I learned to manage? I have learned to be by myself. Movies and books are an interest. I have friends who add me to their families if I choose to participate. I think about new things the new year may bring my way. I remember the reason for Christmas and pray for peace of mind, though not religious, I am spirtual. Sometimes I make a new receipe on Christmas Eve. Just for me. I listen to Christmas music. I exercise. A short session of exercise brings the color in my cheeks. After New Years Day, I generally feel better. Hope everyone does have a very Merry Christmas.

Conversationalist

Dear Conversationalist:   It is good you are doing these things to help you during the holidays.  The holidays should be  a time for joy and family, but since you are alone, being busy is a good way to cure the blues.  May I make a suggestion?   Volunteering can help you meet new people and make new friends.  Do you have a penpal?  Writing a penpal can also offer relief from the blues, and make someone else  who also feels alone better too!  I will keep you in my prayers and hope you have a great 2020.

Super Contributor

Hello bgsdaughter, that's really good advice.

Have a Blessed,Safe,Happy,Peaceful,Prosperous New Year in Jesus Name.
Margreta Maple
0 Kudos
Periodic Contributor

You are doing some very good self care. Doing the things you are interested in, making a new recipe just for the fun of it, praying, and listening to Christmas music are all wonderful ways to chase away the blues. The one highly beneficial thing you didnโ€™t mention was reaching out to people. You are not alone. Making a special effort to show kindness to others, even if only a smile or a friendly word, will do wonders for your mood. Who knows how sad or lonely the person you reach out to may be? If we all give some kindness to the people we meet, we can increase the joy in this world.

I consider Christmas to be the Birth of Jesus. I enjoy my Church, Church activities and my Church friends but since I no longer have young children nor 'Santa Claus' in my lfe, I don't overdo any part of the commercial / financial side of Christmas. That is certainly just ONE bonus of being a Sr. Citizen. I see it as just ONE more DAY of the 365 / 366 each year. 

Take Santa and the commercialization out of Christmas and appreciate The True Reason for The Season of Christmas and: You'll ditch the holiday blues!. 

Honored Social Butterfly

We're fortunate enough to have family, sometimes too much.  No blues so far......:manwink:

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
Gold Conversationalist

I cry and pray a lot.

TREE.gif

Super Contributor

Hello Simplegal,

Why are you crying a lot? Encourage you to put your focus on the Lord Jesus Christ and through HIM,you will find His Joy to be your strength and your peace. (John 14:27)

Have a Blessed,Safe,Happy,Peaceful,Prosperous New Year in Jesus Name.
Margreta Maple
Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results forย 
Showย ย onlyย  | Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Centipedeยฎ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP