Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you get in your daily exercise?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you get in your daily exercise?

This article on AARP discusses the importance of at least 15 minutes of daily exercise.  https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2019/exercise-longevity-wellness-benefits.html

What do you daily to meet this goal? 

AARPTeri
Contributor

My friends all are active and committed to weight control too. I seem to attack healthy people. Thank goodness!💃
0 Kudos
Contributor

I'm a 64 y/o retiree who works outs 5 days a week. I power walk or something just short of a jog two miles on my treadmill. After that I lift weights for my upper body strength. During the summer months I'll ride my mountain bike for about 15 miles, 5 days a week. I've been doing this for a few years now, and feel so much better now that I have an exercise regiment. One of the many benefits of regular exercise is that I've got some "wind" in myself now. I can bend down to tie my shoes and not feel so out of breath! Plus it helps keep my B/P and weight under control. For me, it's a win win situation all way around!
Contributor

My husband and I get out and walk either around our neighborhood or at a local park-1 to 1.5 mi about 5 days a week. For us that's 25-40 minutes of raised heart rate.

In the morning, before I sit at my desk for work I do 15 minutes of cardio in my office.

After work I walk 30 minutes. I commute. So I get off the bus 1.5 miles from my home and walk the rest of the way. On the weekends I walk 30 minutes to an hour around my city.

Kudos
Views
Contributor

Kathy Smith workouts are the best.  Many of them are only 10 -  15 minutes long and easy to fit into my day.  Kathy's workouts are great for building strength and balance.  And best of all, Kathy Smith will even get you to smile while working out!

Contributor

Exercising a Ambler Y,water exercise,yoga,working inside and out.

0 Kudos
Contributor

My wife and I go our gym, @4 Hour Fitness, at least three times a week.

David Bever
Kudos
Views

I walk our two dogs on the beach 6 days a week from 20 to 50 minutes first thing in the morning. I go to a yoga class 2 days a week, do some weight lifting and stationary bike 3 days a week. I'm 73 and had open heart surgery 4 years ago

Contributor

I've started to do squats while using my electric toothbrush (2 minutes timer) twice a day.

Contributor

I mix it up. One day a week I do a Zumba class, one day a week a martial arts class, 2 days a week strength training and the rest of the days 20-30 minutes on the Max trainer. All and all about 270-350 minutes a week. I also wear an activity tracker and try to get 10K steps a day whether walking further to the office, running errands, taking the dogs out etc. I have been exercising regularly since I was a teen and you can just never stop. It has to be a routine. Even if you have to start out with a little..start out with something.

Contributor

I bike daily, averaging about 12 miles per day for the year. I set goals at the beginning of the year for mileage...winter miles a bit lower, summer a lot more. I keep a log on an Excel file, which motivates me and tracks whether I'm hitting my goals. My goal this year is to ride 5000 miles with a few 100 mile rides.

I try to take one day off per week, but often ride all seven days.

Last Sunday, I hit 50 years of maintaining my training program, which started when I was a sophomore in high school running cross country and track. I used to be a long distance runner, but changed over to mostly biking about 15 years ago. I also do a fair amout of walking each year. In the winter, I find snow-shoveling to be another great workout (northern Illinois).

Walk either with Loki the dog or by myself for an hour every day.

Monday: Pilates. Tuesday: tennis. Wednesday: yoga. Thursday: basketball. Fridays: either tennis or weights. Ad lib on Saturday and Sunday.

Contributor

Every other day I exercise using the 5bx program.  Available online.

This regimen has 5 exercises, hence the 5.  The b=basic, the x=exercise. 

The 5 exercises are:

1. Stretching

2.  Situps

3.  Back bends

4.  Pushups

5.  Run in place

Additionally,  walking is advised.

Periodic Contributor

I hit the gym 6 days a week.  3 days a week I lift weights. 2 days I get in some cardio, step class and kickboxing and one day a week I do yoga.  On my "Day off" I stretch and do some back excercises.  Takes about an hour, but I feel better after.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I make exercise part of my daily routine like eating breakfast, etc. I plan my day around exercise, not exercise around my day!

I also vary my routine, so I am not doing the same thing everyday.

Finally, I know my limits. I jog but only for 30-40 minutes, not for an hour, for example.

I'm also retired, so I have no excuse not to exercise! 

I'm 57, and I have never felt better; I attribute it to healthy eating and exercise. 

Contributor

I walk 30  - 60 minutes every day. If the weather is inclement I ride a stationary bike 30-45 minutes. My watch reminds me to get up and move every 30 minutes. in addition to exercise i garden, work in my darkroom, or go out with one of my large (5x12 or 8x10) cameras to photograph the nearby lake.

I constantly remind myself to stand as much as possible. I also do all the shoping and cooking. Today is my 90th birthday.

Contributor

I want to be just like you in 15 yrs.  You are an inspiration...amazing!!

Periodic Contributor

walking, as much and as often as possible..........including parking the car a few blocks away from work........and attempting to get up from my desk;  and  do two flights of stairs, up and down, at least once every hour

0 Kudos
Contributor

Find something you enjoy!  I play pickle ball 3x/week, Zumba 1-2x/week and still do 5-10 K’s through the year but I’m finding that I’m not enjoying this winter weather!  I’ll be 67 next month and need to play it safe with snow/ice! 🙂❄️  Exercise has become part of my daily routine and I don’t look for excuses - I want to keep up with my Grandkids!

Contributor

Hi this is a great article. In addition to exercising 15 min a day i also went onto a dieting system that did wonders for me. I burned 15 pounds of fat in 21 days and feel amazing. I feel like i can breath again, actually walk long distance without losing my breath after 10 minutes. Climb steps, no more elevator!
A big wow and no i can keep up with the kids at the play ground.
Honored Social Butterfly

About 2 hours a day, 5 days a week at the gym. Combo of aerobic and weight lifting routines.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP