Highlighted
Community Manager
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you get in your daily exercise?

Message 1 of 46

@JudithD768933 AARP has a collection of videos for at-home workouts! Check them out - https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/exercising-at-home.html. There are some great ones!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 46

@JudithD768933 wrote:

I don't exercise anything at anytime.. I need to as I am about 50 lbs. overweight..  I am an 83 year old female.. I want to do some easy cheesy starter exercises.. I can walk but not in my neighborhood right now.. Could I walk in my backyard the length of it for say 15 minutes to start.. How about some chair exercises such as squats or back kicks.. I need something for my jelly belly too.. I retired at 74 from a job where I moved around alot and in the last 2 years I have been glued to my TV or Computer too much.. HELP if you have some good tips.. My Daughter doesn't let me go out because of the Covid-19 and I certainly understand that.. She said not to bring in pkgs. and I wipe our mail off before I read it, I take meals in my room and don't mind at all.. Thanks for any advice or tips..

Hi!  Most senior exercise programs I see around my house focus on several things:  better balance, better flexibility, better bone health, and better cardio health.  

Here are some for balance:

https://www.lifeline.philips.com/resources/blog/2018/07/14-exercises-for-seniors-to-improve-strength... 

Here are some for flexibility:

https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/stretching-for-seniors-7-simple-moves-for-the-not-so-flexible/ 

I think walking in the yard for 10-15 minutes to start is a great idea.  And if you or your daughter has small hand weights, that might be helpful, too.   Like the 2 pound weights.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 46

I don't exercise anything at anytime.. I need to as I am about 50 lbs. overweight..  I am an 83 year old female.. I want to do some easy cheesy starter exercises.. I can walk but not in my neighborhood right now.. Could I walk in my backyard the length of it for say 15 minutes to start.. How about some chair exercises such as squats or back kicks.. I need something for my jelly belly too.. I retired at 74 from a job where I moved around alot and in the last 2 years I have been glued to my TV or Computer too much.. HELP if you have some good tips.. My Daughter doesn't let me go out because of the Covid-19 and I certainly understand that.. She said not to bring in pkgs. and I wipe our mail off before I read it, I take meals in my room and don't mind at all.. Thanks for any advice or tips..

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 46

at 70+, base training for my 3rd in a row Marine Corps Marathon in October. 6-7 days a week with upper body weights, push-ups and at least 5 miles (will increase in June when I begin the actual training plan) on the treadmill. been a runner since October '74.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 46

I love to go line dancing with my mom at their Senior Center when I visit, it is so fun and they have activities all the time! Great idea! Our Senior Center has a community dance every Saturday night and anyone in the community is welcome to attend.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 46

The YMCA I go for an hour a day.Cardio, weights.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 46

I walk my dog for 30-40 minutes a day.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Periodic Contributor
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 46

I get NO exercise and am ashamed to say that I have no underlying reasons not to.. I don't even walk except around the house.. I know there are exercises I can do at home because I use to go to a class at my Library for Seniors and we did a lot of things sitting.. I have heard lifting weights like one or three pds. would even be good.. Any good Ideas for an 83 year old Woman??

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 46

I play pickleball on a court in my church fellowship hall three days a week for 2 hours plus. By the end of play I have over 10,000 steps. Twice a week I work out 45 minutes with a trainer focusing on strength and balance. I take a "Therapuetic Yoga for Seniors" class twice a week for an hour at my local community college and once a week I take an hour tai chi class at our county senior center. (Used to do twice a week but with pickleball and yoga, Mondays were too crowded.)

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Bronze Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 46

We live in a rural area that has no sidewalks. In addition to our "walk-run" several mornings a week, and one or two stair climbs a week, we walk and pick up trash and recyclables from the sides of the road. That way we get in our cardiovascular exercise, plus lots of bending and stretching when reaching for what others have tossed our their car windows. Then we come back to our little farm and feed animals (goats and chickens) and work in the gardens.  I'm looking forward to warmer weather so we can jump into the swimming pool every afternoon and swim some laps.  It's a perfect way to end the day. 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors