Refresh your driving skills and learn about new car technology with the AARP Driver Safety page.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you get in your daily exercise?

Message 1 of 19
I'm a 64 y/o retiree who works outs 5 days a week. I power walk or something just short of a jog two miles on my treadmill. After that I lift weights for my upper body strength. During the summer months I'll ride my mountain bike for about 15 miles, 5 days a week. I've been doing this for a few years now, and feel so much better now that I have an exercise regiment. One of the many benefits of regular exercise is that I've got some "wind" in myself now. I can bend down to tie my shoes and not feel so out of breath! Plus it helps keep my B/P and weight under control. For me, it's a win win situation all way around!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 19

My husband and I get out and walk either around our neighborhood or at a local park-1 to 1.5 mi about 5 days a week. For us that's 25-40 minutes of raised heart rate.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 19

In the morning, before I sit at my desk for work I do 15 minutes of cardio in my office.

After work I walk 30 minutes. I commute. So I get off the bus 1.5 miles from my home and walk the rest of the way. On the weekends I walk 30 minutes to an hour around my city.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 19

Kathy Smith workouts are the best.  Many of them are only 10 -  15 minutes long and easy to fit into my day.  Kathy's workouts are great for building strength and balance.  And best of all, Kathy Smith will even get you to smile while working out!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 19

My wife and I go our gym, @4 Hour Fitness, at least three times a week.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 19

I walk our two dogs on the beach 6 days a week from 20 to 50 minutes first thing in the morning. I go to a yoga class 2 days a week, do some weight lifting and stationary bike 3 days a week. I'm 73 and had open heart surgery 4 years ago

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 19

I've started to do squats while using my electric toothbrush (2 minutes timer) twice a day.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 19

I mix it up. One day a week I do a Zumba class, one day a week a martial arts class, 2 days a week strength training and the rest of the days 20-30 minutes on the Max trainer. All and all about 270-350 minutes a week. I also wear an activity tracker and try to get 10K steps a day whether walking further to the office, running errands, taking the dogs out etc. I have been exercising regularly since I was a teen and you can just never stop. It has to be a routine. Even if you have to start out with a little..start out with something.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 19

I bike daily, averaging about 12 miles per day for the year. I set goals at the beginning of the year for mileage...winter miles a bit lower, summer a lot more. I keep a log on an Excel file, which motivates me and tracks whether I'm hitting my goals. My goal this year is to ride 5000 miles with a few 100 mile rides.

I try to take one day off per week, but often ride all seven days.

Last Sunday, I hit 50 years of maintaining my training program, which started when I was a sophomore in high school running cross country and track. I used to be a long distance runner, but changed over to mostly biking about 15 years ago. I also do a fair amout of walking each year. In the winter, I find snow-shoveling to be another great workout (northern Illinois).

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 19

Walk either with Loki the dog or by myself for an hour every day.

Monday: Pilates. Tuesday: tennis. Wednesday: yoga. Thursday: basketball. Fridays: either tennis or weights. Ad lib on Saturday and Sunday.

Kudos
Views