Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you get in your daily exercise?

Community Manager
Community Manager

How do you get in your daily exercise?

This article on AARP discusses the importance of at least 15 minutes of daily exercise.  https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2019/exercise-longevity-wellness-benefits.html

What do you daily to meet this goal? 

AARPTeri
Contributor

Each morning I stretch, strength train and do my hip exercises (hip replacement 6 months ago) then walk for 30 minutes.  

Social Butterfly

@KarlaC662975 , That is impressive!  I wish Americans did half of that daily! My husband and I walk 3 miles nearly every day.  Need to get in the strength training more consistently.

0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

I started (and became addicted to) AARP fitness videos, especially Bryant Johnson and Lorraine Ladish. These have become my daily routine and it's FREE to AARP Members! Don't need to leave home, don't need to fear possible exposure; just great exercise routines available when you have time.

Good stuff! Thank you, AARP!

#VegasStrong
Phil Harris, actor and showman, to John Fogerty of CCR: “If I’d known I’d live this long, I’d have taken better care of myself.”
Contributor

I do a walk every day for at least 30 minutes, some days I do a little jogging/running

I also do the 7 minute workout at least 6 days a week. I would like to build up to do 2 rounds each time.

Some days I try and get another short walk in

0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

i walk my dog daily for at least 30 minutes

i put my stapler away from my desk when at work and each time i need it i have to stand up from my chair and sit back down so this helps with the squatting motion 

i take the stairs at work instead of the elevator

i need to get back to doing my sit ups and stretching and body work in general though - i will work on that starting in july - a little at a time

Periodic Contributor

I don't exercise anything at anytime.. I need to as I am about 50 lbs. overweight..  I am an 83 year old female.. I want to do some easy cheesy starter exercises.. I can walk but not in my neighborhood right now.. Could I walk in my backyard the length of it for say 15 minutes to start.. How about some chair exercises such as squats or back kicks.. I need something for my jelly belly too.. I retired at 74 from a job where I moved around alot and in the last 2 years I have been glued to my TV or Computer too much.. HELP if you have some good tips.. My Daughter doesn't let me go out because of the Covid-19 and I certainly understand that.. She said not to bring in pkgs. and I wipe our mail off before I read it, I take meals in my room and don't mind at all.. Thanks for any advice or tips..

Community Manager
Community Manager

@JudithD768933 AARP has a collection of videos for at-home workouts! Check them out - https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/exercising-at-home.html. There are some great ones!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@JudithD768933 wrote:

I don't exercise anything at anytime.. I need to as I am about 50 lbs. overweight..  I am an 83 year old female.. I want to do some easy cheesy starter exercises.. I can walk but not in my neighborhood right now.. Could I walk in my backyard the length of it for say 15 minutes to start.. How about some chair exercises such as squats or back kicks.. I need something for my jelly belly too.. I retired at 74 from a job where I moved around alot and in the last 2 years I have been glued to my TV or Computer too much.. HELP if you have some good tips.. My Daughter doesn't let me go out because of the Covid-19 and I certainly understand that.. She said not to bring in pkgs. and I wipe our mail off before I read it, I take meals in my room and don't mind at all.. Thanks for any advice or tips..

Hi!  Most senior exercise programs I see around my house focus on several things:  better balance, better flexibility, better bone health, and better cardio health.  

Here are some for balance:

https://www.lifeline.philips.com/resources/blog/2018/07/14-exercises-for-seniors-to-improve-strength... 

Here are some for flexibility:

https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/stretching-for-seniors-7-simple-moves-for-the-not-so-flexible/ 

I think walking in the yard for 10-15 minutes to start is a great idea.  And if you or your daughter has small hand weights, that might be helpful, too.   Like the 2 pound weights.  

at 70+, base training for my 3rd in a row Marine Corps Marathon in October. 6-7 days a week with upper body weights, push-ups and at least 5 miles (will increase in June when I begin the actual training plan) on the treadmill. been a runner since October '74.

Contributor

The YMCA I go for an hour a day.Cardio, weights.

0 Kudos
Contributor

I walk my dog for 30-40 minutes a day.

Periodic Contributor

I get NO exercise and am ashamed to say that I have no underlying reasons not to.. I don't even walk except around the house.. I know there are exercises I can do at home because I use to go to a class at my Library for Seniors and we did a lot of things sitting.. I have heard lifting weights like one or three pds. would even be good.. Any good Ideas for an 83 year old Woman??

0 Kudos
Contributor

I play pickleball on a court in my church fellowship hall three days a week for 2 hours plus. By the end of play I have over 10,000 steps. Twice a week I work out 45 minutes with a trainer focusing on strength and balance. I take a "Therapuetic Yoga for Seniors" class twice a week for an hour at my local community college and once a week I take an hour tai chi class at our county senior center. (Used to do twice a week but with pickleball and yoga, Mondays were too crowded.)

Kudos
Views
Bronze Conversationalist

We live in a rural area that has no sidewalks. In addition to our "walk-run" several mornings a week, and one or two stair climbs a week, we walk and pick up trash and recyclables from the sides of the road. That way we get in our cardiovascular exercise, plus lots of bending and stretching when reaching for what others have tossed our their car windows. Then we come back to our little farm and feed animals (goats and chickens) and work in the gardens.  I'm looking forward to warmer weather so we can jump into the swimming pool every afternoon and swim some laps.  It's a perfect way to end the day. 

Conversationalist

I just learned something new- by rubbing your feet together- Grounds You! So, if you have loads of stress, bombardsment of energy good or bad, you can ground yourself. You can also do it with your hands, too, rubbing them together.

I like to do a1/2 hour of Qigong in the morning, gets Qi into the whole body and You feel Energized. Later, in the day, I like to walk in my garden talking to the plants and birds. Trees give off so much energy, so stand under them and listen.

Find a friend to walk with and get out there moving is the key to a long productive life.

Periodic Contributor

I turn on my DVR and find Classical Stretch by Essentrics every morning (I record it on PBS, but you can also find the DVD's at the library or buy them, see some of them on YouTube, or stream them online). Stairs instead of elevator, park a little farther out in the parking lot, get up and move every hour...

Contributor

I always park as far away as possible when I shop. All those steps add up. Also, when I'm in the store, I try to walk all the way around the store. In addition to the exercise, sometimes I find great deals on items because I'm going to parts of the store I don't usually shop. I walk my dog every day. If it's raining, I walk in the house. Not as much fun, but if you count the steps, it goes by pretty quick. 

Super Contributor

You guys are great motivators.

0 Kudos

I walk 7 days a week.  I am up early during the week to get my walk in before I go to work, about 2 to 2.5 miles.  On Saturday and Sunday I stretch the walk out to be a little longer, closer to 3.5 miles.  Three days a week I add standing push-ups to my walk.  I do three sets each of wide grip and narrow grip.  For the standing push-up I find an railing or other solid, immovable object at about waist height.  I take a step back and do push-ups until I can't anymore.  I started doing them when I was having some shoulder pain.  Since I've been doing them I have much better range of motion in my shoulder and I feel stronger.

Contributor

I am 62 and a CPT-Special Populations, Seniors. I wals at least 3/5 miles 6 days a week. I also train with HITT,Free weights and body weight exercises. Vegan, eggs the only animal product.

Periodic Contributor

I'm 68 yo........working full time in NYC school system.

I walk most weekday mornings.....weather permitting; and take stairs several times a day.

On weekend mornings I usually SPIN....indoor cycle class......and sometimes walk in afternoon outdoors at a park...........

Contributor

Five mornings a week I get up at 7am and drive 20 minutes to the local aquatic center and do 2 hours of aqua circuit, water aerobics, aqua fitness, aqua therapy, and Zumba. I enjoy it and it’s great exercise for a seventy year old.

Contributor

1. I go to Senior Yoga for 1 hr. And Senior classics exercise for 1 hr. On Mondays, Wednesday, and Friday!  Walk 15 minutes on Tuesday and Wednesday!!!

check your recreation centers! Love my senior classes!

Im 68 years in Lakewood, Colorado

Periodic Contributor

I love to go line dancing with my mom at their Senior Center when I visit, it is so fun and they have activities all the time! Great idea! Our Senior Center has a community dance every Saturday night and anyone in the community is welcome to attend.

Kudos
Views
0 Kudos
Contributor

Every morning I get up early to stretch for 15 minutes then walk for 20 before getting ready to go to work.  I started out small, just walking for 10 minutes. 

Contributor

I started doing water aerobics. Six days a week. 45 minutes a day. I feel much better since I started. I'm 72. Starting a walking and biking routine as soon as the temps in our Phoenix desert drop a little.

Periodic Contributor

I get to work early...........beat some traffic; find parking and walk across the Highbridge.........

20-30 minute brisk walk.........depending on just how early I am

Contributor

I workout at the gym for an hour 4to5 days a week At the gym I do 15 minutes of stretching, 20 minutes of weights, 25 minutes on the elliptical. On days I can’t get to the gym I take a walk around the block 1/2 mile. Then I am up every either going shopping or just visiting friends. I am turning seventy eight next week

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Atari Asteroids® and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP