The AARP Movies for Grownups Awards premieres tonight on many PBS stations. Watch at 9 p.m. ET.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: How do you get in your daily exercise?

Message 1 of 12

I mix it up. One day a week I do a Zumba class, one day a week a martial arts class, 2 days a week strength training and the rest of the days 20-30 minutes on the Max trainer. All and all about 270-350 minutes a week. I also wear an activity tracker and try to get 10K steps a day whether walking further to the office, running errands, taking the dogs out etc. I have been exercising regularly since I was a teen and you can just never stop. It has to be a routine. Even if you have to start out with a little..start out with something.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 12

I bike daily, averaging about 12 miles per day for the year. I set goals at the beginning of the year for mileage...winter miles a bit lower, summer a lot more. I keep a log on an Excel file, which motivates me and tracks whether I'm hitting my goals. My goal this year is to ride 5000 miles with a few 100 mile rides.

I try to take one day off per week, but often ride all seven days.

Last Sunday, I hit 50 years of maintaining my training program, which started when I was a sophomore in high school running cross country and track. I used to be a long distance runner, but changed over to mostly biking about 15 years ago. I also do a fair amout of walking each year. In the winter, I find snow-shoveling to be another great workout (northern Illinois).

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 12

Walk either with Loki the dog or by myself for an hour every day.

Monday: Pilates. Tuesday: tennis. Wednesday: yoga. Thursday: basketball. Fridays: either tennis or weights. Ad lib on Saturday and Sunday.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 12

Every other day I exercise using the 5bx program.  Available online.

This regimen has 5 exercises, hence the 5.  The b=basic, the x=exercise. 

The 5 exercises are:

1. Stretching

2.  Situps

3.  Back bends

4.  Pushups

5.  Run in place

Additionally,  walking is advised.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 12

I hit the gym 6 days a week.  3 days a week I lift weights. 2 days I get in some cardio, step class and kickboxing and one day a week I do yoga.  On my "Day off" I stretch and do some back excercises.  Takes about an hour, but I feel better after.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 12

I make exercise part of my daily routine like eating breakfast, etc. I plan my day around exercise, not exercise around my day!

I also vary my routine, so I am not doing the same thing everyday.

Finally, I know my limits. I jog but only for 30-40 minutes, not for an hour, for example.

I'm also retired, so I have no excuse not to exercise! 

I'm 57, and I have never felt better; I attribute it to healthy eating and exercise. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 12

I walk 30  - 60 minutes every day. If the weather is inclement I ride a stationary bike 30-45 minutes. My watch reminds me to get up and move every 30 minutes. in addition to exercise i garden, work in my darkroom, or go out with one of my large (5x12 or 8x10) cameras to photograph the nearby lake.

I constantly remind myself to stand as much as possible. I also do all the shoping and cooking. Today is my 90th birthday.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 12

walking, as much and as often as possible..........including parking the car a few blocks away from work........and attempting to get up from my desk;  and  do two flights of stairs, up and down, at least once every hour

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 12

Find something you enjoy!  I play pickle ball 3x/week, Zumba 1-2x/week and still do 5-10 K’s through the year but I’m finding that I’m not enjoying this winter weather!  I’ll be 67 next month and need to play it safe with snow/ice! 🙂❄️  Exercise has become part of my daily routine and I don’t look for excuses - I want to keep up with my Grandkids!

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 12
Hi this is a great article. In addition to exercising 15 min a day i also went onto a dieting system that did wonders for me. I burned 15 pounds of fat in 21 days and feel amazing. I feel like i can breath again, actually walk long distance without losing my breath after 10 minutes. Climb steps, no more elevator!
A big wow and no i can keep up with the kids at the play ground.
Kudos
Views