Content starts here
CLOSE ×

Search

How do you get in your NEAT every day?

Retired Community Manager

How do you get in your NEAT every day?

NEAT, or non-exercise activity thermogenesis, is "everything we do that is not sleeping, eating or sports-like exercise" and is an important way to stay healthy.

What do you do throughout your day to move and burn calories that is not considered a workout (laundry, shopping, playing with grandkids, etc.)?

Social Butterfly

I do the 12 ounce curl several times a day!

Contributor

I have two dogs, one of which is blind but highly active. I need to walk the dogs separately so that I can act as the eyes of the blind dog. That comes out to 6-8 walks each day, one long and the rest short. I also keep a 20 by 40 foot garden year round, growing veggies, herbs, and flowers without power tools. I sew (clothing and home decor), quilt, and cook from scratch to manage cholesterol.

I own a wonderful horse and drive three miles to see him six days a week. Then I spend 2-4 hours with him, riding, grooming, doctoring when needed, and scooping poop as necessary. hauling hay, lifting a 30 lb saddle, dragging 40 lb bags of grain are all part of my weekly activity. He's sweetheart and the exercise keps me fit.

Honored Social Butterfly

My favorite NEAT activity is doing yardwork (i.e. mowing the lawn, cutting/trimming the bushes, pulling the weeds by hand, organizing and re-organizing the garage after each yard duty).  Another way I sneak in some NEAT on an almost daily basis is when at work, I pace while waiting for the microwave to reheat my dinner meal.  Another thing I do is bringing up from the basement only a few laundered items that I might need for just that day.  Thus, causing me to have to go up and down the stairs several times a day or several times during the week.  Finally, every time I lift something heavy like an ex-large bag of bird food or a 32 count case of water, I make sure to do a complete squat while doing so.  Nothing like a squat for the thighs and the ol' gluteus maximus and it helps save the back from strain as well.

Regular Contributor

Been daily walking in Santa Fe 3+ miles since June 2015

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

We live on a few acres. Weeding, pruning trees and shrubs, mowing the lawn (walk behind, no tractor), tending to veggie garden, cutting/splitting/hauling/stacking firewood. Endless maintenance in general to yard, house, and small barn.

"...Why is everyone a victim? Take personal responsibility for your life..."
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Need to Know

NEW: AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays! This week, achieve a top score in Block Champ and you could win $100! Learn More.

AARP Games Tournament Tuesdays

More From AARP